Coups d'état 2021

She had been critisized a lot for handling Rohingya people and I was always wondering whether she changed or was pressured by military. Maybe both. It is not a huge surprise for me that she was detained. It seems SE countries go either military leadership like Myanmar or Thailand or extreme centralization of power and cronyism like Cambodia.

1 Like

…again.

I suspect when she finally got put in the driving seat, she realised what an utter shithole Myanmar really is, and that idealism wouldn’t be enough to fix it. The Rohingya issue, for example, is more complex than the Western media typically portray it.

1 Like

A combination. The military were heavily involved in the Rohingya round-up, but, like the Uighurs in China, they are not very popular with the local people either. She probably wouldn’t have done it and didn’t support it, but most Burmese did, or at least thought their country was being slandered and expected their prime minister to stand up for it.

1 Like

I agree. We tend to think in cases like Rohingya and Uighur that a handful of fanatics do the deeds and majority innocent people don’t really agree but keep silence. In fact locals do support those actions.

Interesting:

1 Like

The plural of “coup d’état” is “coups d’état”.

2 Likes

You know you can edit the title eh?

1 Like

Thailand unfortunately has gone backwards as well. Democracy is having a hard time against entrenched forces.

No, I don’t. And even though I probably could, I don’t want to do mod work for free. I prefer you guys do it for free. :smiley:

Came here to say that haha.

1 Like

You say ‘to-may-to’, I say ‘to-mah-to’

two may two?

No one stopped Russia from taking Crimea; wonder if Mumble will allow China to get its pipeline back.

1 Like