Covert Aggression Popular in Taiwan?

We all know and love aggressive behaviour, we also know about passive-aggressive behaviour… but, have you met covert aggression? It’s popular in Taiwan.

Basically, with covert aggression, you don’t come out and directly do or say anything to your target… instead… you try to do things to them behind their back. They won’t suspect a thing! In fact, your target may even think you like him or her.

I have a great example of covert aggression.

So, I live on the first floor, in one of the crappiest microcosms in all of southern Taiwan (as you may have read in one of my other posts). People from the buildings across the street sometimes park their scooter in front of my apartment (land that is, by Taiwanese custom, rightfully controlled by me). So, one day I was moving this one guy’s scooter back to across the street, and not a few seconds after I return to my side of the street, he gets on with his woman and tiny dog and rides away. He was actually standing there having a smoke the whole time, but he didn’t bother to say anything; could’ve been a sorry, could’ve been a, “Hey, don’t touch my scooter.” Said nothing.

Then, a couple days later there’s a tiny pile of dog poop in front of my door. Tiny dog? Tiny dog poop? I’m not stupid. And just yesterday, there was a tiny puddle of dog piss on my scooter floorboard.

I was thinking of giving this guy the gift of direct aggression… but… I’m moving in a couple days, so I’ll just be mature and walk away…

sounds like office politics inside any Taiwanese company (luckily no one brings their pets to work).

this kind of behavior, and I have been a victim to it both professionally and in my personal life is in many cultures too cowardly or petty to ever be considered an option, but in Taiwan it seems to be run of the mill SOP. I had a prick key my car from end to end because he didn’t like where I parked (even though I was well within my rights to park there), if I had caught him doing it I would likely have ended up serving time or being deported for what I would have done to him. Back in my younger days my downstairs neighbor slashed my scooter seat (on a brand new scooter) from end to end because I parked a bit too close to his door (but still within the white lines that designate a parking place). Two days later I was on my bike and he was (like a complete puss), staring at me from the corner of his window, I simply looked at him in the eyes, pointed down to my seat, pointed at him and did the throat slash gesture. I never had a problem with that prick again.

honestly, I would shit in a bag and dump out the turds on his doorstep.

[quote=“shawn_c”]

I have a great example of covert aggression.

So, I live on the first floor, in one of the crappiest microcosms in all of southern Taiwan (as you may have read in one of my other posts). People from the buildings across the street sometimes park their scooter in front of my apartment (land that is, by Taiwanese custom, rightfully controlled by me). So, one day I was moving this one guy’s scooter back to across the street, and not a few seconds after I return to my side of the street, he gets on with his woman and tiny dog and rides away. He was actually standing there having a smoke the whole time, but he didn’t bother to say anything; could’ve been a sorry, could’ve been a, “Hey, don’t touch my scooter.” Said nothing.

Then, a couple days later there’s a tiny pile of dog poop in front of my door. Tiny dog? Tiny dog poop? I’m not stupid. And just yesterday, there was a tiny puddle of dog piss on my scooter floorboard.

I was thinking of giving this guy the gift of direct aggression… but… I’m moving in a couple days, so I’ll just be mature and walk away…[/quote]

Sound like passive-aggression? :ponder:

I have an example of covert aggression: A group of mixed gender college students tells one of the females of the group to position in a location ahead of the laowai at the night market knowing I’ll be distracted by the length of her skirt. Then once I become distracted and the pace of my gate slows, they crowd up behind me and start yelling in my ear while pretending they’re just trying to get their classmates attention. Then once I turn to see why someone is yelling in my ear my nose suffers a direct hit from the smell of stinky tofu rushing out from one of their smacking mouths. I try to recover from the assault, but get my arm gets swiped by a ji pie held in one of the squad leader’s hands. The back of my shoe gets stepped on before I can reposition myself in a safe vantage point. Operation - Big Nose, Hairy Ears

hey u sure you didnt piss off the dog ?

We had a similar problem when we moved into our place.
For over a year there were mountains of dog shit in front of our door.
It was always pretty dry shit therefor, I assumed that someone put it there.
However, one day, there was a big fresh pile of poo. I simply took it and put it into the elevator.
We never had any problems again after that.

Just collect it and mail it to him, or throw it directly into his mailbox.

I’ve not suffered too much from it and I rather prefer this style than a violent confrontation. That’s not to say I agree with it either.

The worst that’s happened is getting my scooter fuel line ripped out. That’s a common trick they used to play.

Sorry I didn’t come back and read your awesome stories earlier!

@Deuce - I like your style!

@louis - Was it aggression, or was it fascination? Eh? EH? Apparently, passive aggression is to do something to inconvenience others (like, instead of punching them in the face)… and covert aggression is to do something when no one’s looking and they won’t really know who did it.

@tommy - Well… umm… maybe… haha…

@Hamlet - I like your style, too. But wait, you’re saying that the dog shit was in front of your door in the hallway? INDOORS?!

@headhonchoII - I don’t mean that we should turn covert aggression into violent aggression… just come and talk like normal people do!