COVID-19 and World Leaders

I’ve noticed everything is “whataboutism.” What about WHO? What about Xi? What about Biden? Well, I really fucking hate WHO and Xi even more, but that doesn’t excuse Trump. As for Biden, I never claimed to support him either, and I certainly don’t agree with a lot of what he says. But the fact is speculating whether he would do better or worse is purely hypothetical, because he’s not in power.

I think my point is clear. Trump fucked this up, and his supporters know this, but don’t want to admit it. Funny you should bring up the EU. If you look at the USA’s infection trajectory, it’s forecast to get even worse than Italy.

4 Likes

Well all these politicians are directing blame, but now its that moral of heaven, and its measurable… yikes

That’s simply not even true and your own confirmation bias. Many people have disagreed with trump. I’ve said multiple time I didn’t agree with him misjudging the severity of it and not implementing quicker decisions. But it’s like he’s the only one and that he didn’t do anything at all to some people. In which I’ve corrected many times.

And half the Criticism you find on trump are “he’s a turd” even when he’s right. It’s not people who support trump that aren’t acknowledging the situation, it’s as much people who don’t support trump if not worse.

1 Like

I for one have never said that. Of course there’s people on both sides who use base insults instead of facts. I’ve never made a joke about him being orange, or about his daughter, or any of that cheap crap. I only comment on him when his poor decision-making leads to bad policy, or worse, harm to society.

2 Likes

Ok that’s fine but it’s what’s happening and it’s getting old. There are many posters that clearly just want to paint trump in a bad light no matter what he did, right or wrong. And refuse to take any sort of balance view on it. So yes, those certainly come off as orange man bad.

Not to mention I’ve found articles being posted that are completely misrepresentation of what was going on to make trump seem like he didn’t do anything.

It’d be nice if someone could actually address what I posted about him downplaying the severity of covid up until 2 weeks ago (long after everyone on this board knew how bad it looked) and the horrifying exponential curve of US infections that seem like it’ll dwarf what’s happening in Italy in a number of days. Precious months were squandered while ventilators, protective gowns and masks, ICU facilities could’ve been built and now more people will die. That’s it. Can anyone post anything about Trump’s actions in Jan-Feb besides the China ban (which I agree with, but that’s just one small thing)?

3 Likes

A lot of people has, including myself.

All I know is, looking at his opponents, I would take Trump over any of them. Not only were they upset about the China travel ban, which saved lives. They were still critical of him banning travel from Europe by March 12.

And Trump has been repeatedly criticized for not following experts. But the experts are often wrong like saying banning travel from China doesn’t help.

A contentious exchange during the March 11 House Homeland Security Committee hearing on the coronavirus response revealed this reality. During the hearing, acting Deputy Secretary of Homeland Security Ken Cuccinelli explained he had advised the president to ban travel from China even though “the academic model suggested not to do that.” Cuccinelli further stressed that “the president was well aware” that the existing models recommended against a China travel ban but that Trump nonetheless instituted the ban.

Amazingly, rather than compliment Cuccinelli and Trump for their leadership, Democratic Rep. Dina Titus of Nevada chastised the Trump administration for refusing to follow a flawed academic model:

I think you said earlier that you rejected the academic models that advised against travel boundaries or travel restrictions and gave the advice to the president to the contrary. What would make you think you could reject an academic model based on scientific study and evidence to advise the president? Was that like bad politics as opposed to good science? I think it probably [is that] this administration have very little respect for anything intellectual. And this is yet another example.

While Titus condemned Trump’s refusal to blindly follow an academic model, most Americans — if they knew of this detail — would likely applaud the president for his decisive leadership that likely saved countless American lives.

Probably the single biggest reason Taiwan is doing comparatively well with the virus is because we have become used to the fact China is fucking us, lieing and cheating us and the rest of the world not only cant deny it, they cant call Taiwan racist for doing so.

So they just ignore us instead. The west is fucked, but still not close to as bad as China.

3 Likes

If you need a prime example of how ridiculous the media has been, look at this trying to discredit Trump for praising potential treatment showing promising results. 2 people who were self medicating had issues using a harsh drug with common sides like muscle problems, diarrhea along with serious side effect like seizures, vision probelms, and muscle damage.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-21/nigeria-reports-chloroquine-poisonings-after-trump-praised-drug

1 Like

I already did and have stated on multiple occasions his comments about the flu were stupid. Only to get the reply from you “why can’t you admit he was downplaying it up till two weeks ago”.

He put together a task force pretty quick, he was criticized at the time because the team wasn’t diverse enough although at the time the Media and Democrats were more preoccupied with impeachment. They didn’t get a test kit out fast enough, that’s a fact. I hope you don’t think it’s Trump’s responsibility to personally distribute test kits, or maybe you do, I don’t know.

I think you downplay the ban, it sent a clear message he was taking this seriously anyone watching would have understood that.

The more interesting question is why the USA (and other countries) didn’t go after this virus as aggressively as say Taiwan or South Korea or Singapore. But it’s so tiresome when one side having the conversation only want to hear “it’s Trumps fault” when there’s plenty of blame to go around.

4 Likes

Forgot about that. That was some next level insanity.

1 Like

Maybe if Trump didn’t treat our intelligence agencies as enemies of his state control, our response would have been better. Trump and his lackey government deliberately downplayed this and they did it for the same reasons as China did, to shore up his control. They deserve every bit as much of criticism. If that leads to “Republicans” to call me a name or something, I will leave it to you to imagine my response. By the way, not disrupting our government with attempts to subvert our democratic processes would probably have helped as well. I guess I should end my comments there.

6 Likes

This did not age well . . .

1 Like

The response was there, the media didn’t cover it. You would need to look at outlets that are not pent on destroying him which leaves few.

January 30th

This was when they were deciding if they needed more witnesses to impeach him.

By February 10th the supply chain issues are being addressed.

By February 16th the situation is “very grave”.

By February 24th the economic fallout is being discussed.

Finally by February 25th the rest of the media create a fire storm. (the test kits are slow to roll out and now they have something to attack him over, so they do a blitz, having previously ignored him for 3 weeks because they didn’t want to give him any positive coverage)

Except they now claim Trump was missing in action from late January to beginning of March, not true, they were missing. Too busy with their stupid impeachment over Trump looking into alleged corruption by the Democrats. Yes, they deserve every bit of contempt that is comming their way.

1 Like

Country of origin is still China. It always will be, and cannot be changed. Just cause the virus transitted through a different country and piggybacked on a different person, does not change a things origin

That isnt what the word means. Writers should know that. Either propaganda or ignorance. Either way, when the media and/or public officials keep towing that line, one must question their credibility and accuracy of the rest of what they say or write.

2 Likes

In the blame game, the number 1 country off everyone’s lips should be China. If people miss that step, one wonders what is motivating them.

Then number 2 is the WHO, who were told by Taiwan in December in no uncertain terms this was person to person contagion and they were promptly ignored. They were informed by colleagues in China. But WHO went with the official line from China and in mid January put out a statement saying it was NOT passed person to person.

From there on lot’s of blame to hand around, currently I am looking at Pakistan as their numbers are rising fast and I suspect they have little means to deal with it. The Pakistani Government said they will close shops until next Tuesday, like if that is going to make any difference.,

3 Likes

So we agree. Its either ignorance or propaganda (intentional lies).

Again:

A lot of countries have dropped the ball… the U.K., the USA, Turkey, Thailand, Italy, Spain, Iran…

Of course, first and foremost is China. I’d never say otherwise. I bloody hate Xi. But this failure has many fathers, and other world leaders reacted too late once the danger was clear including the USA. Australia has said 80% of its infected cases are coming from the US. It could only have gotten that bad if the government reacted way too late. I remind you to look at the US’s exponential climb that I posted earlier. Cases are accelerating much faster than any other country, including Italy.