Covid-19 Research Thread

Not for me they’re not.

is it not abortion but human body?

Modern medicine would be significantly less modern without a long history of working on cadavers. Whether the death was lawful or unlawful, or considered moral or immoral, many surgical techniques and advancement in medical knowledge has been gained through the use of cadavers. You’d have to also refuse medical intervention gained from practice on adult cadavers for your position to be logical in that case. Not just the obvious organ transplants, but many basic surgical procedures. If you have an appendectomy the surgeon will almost certainly have practiced on a cadaver at some point.

2 Likes

I’m not against the use of cadavers for medical research. I just won’t take any products that contain human cells. Regardless of how those cells were sourced.

… and several religions, or extreme adherents to them, certainly do take this position. To which they are perfectly entitled, of course. People can believe whatever they want, as long as it does no harm to the rest of us.

3 Likes

so, no organ transplants and blood transfusion?

Not for me. But I’m not against others having transplants.

Or transfusions too, presumably.

1 Like

and some of wigs too.

1 Like

Pretty sure that any vaccine produced via growing up in human cells would not actually contain any human cells. That would set off a completely unwanted immune reaction, sensitising you against those human cells, not the (or alongside) the virus products.

Please tell me which one you think it is, and I’ll go and look it up.

3 Likes

That’s very principled. Make sure you stay fit and healthy.

Cool, each to their own, more livers and kidneys for the rest of us. :heart_eyes:

It’s interesting where to draw the line though. Does this only apply to medical treatments? Any food product handled by humans will contain some amount of “human cells”.

I’m OK with that.

Pretty sure you’re right. Although, if someone is against this on principle, the wording here reminds me of “all natural” Heinz vinegar that shows “no traces of GMO in our finished product.” (Because it’s just the extracted vinegar made using GMO corn.)

1 Like

For those interested in this kind of thing, here’s a good article on the development of cell culture techniques for virus vaccine development.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4014716/

and one of the vaccines in question over use of foetal cell culture amplification is the Oxford vaccine, now in widespread clinical trials. Here’s a relevant news story:

BTW, you need to raise the virus that will be used to make the vaccine in the kind of cell that it infects. This humanised coronavirus is now very good at growing in human cells, where originally (before it was modified, likely intentionally, in the Wuhan Institute of Virology), it was probably a bat virus and grew well in cultures of bat cells. Whether or not it still grows well in bat cells, the number of bat cells available for large-scale vaccine production is limited. Best to use limitless supplies of human cells from a 1973 abortion.

1 Like

… and here is an article in less scientific language, for those without a PhD in cell biology. :slight_smile:

If I die, I die.

1 Like

Student of Descartes? or of Taylor?

that’s a very logical statement.

1 Like

Rocky 4

2 Likes

That’s an extroverted if I die I die.

1 Like