Covid-19 Research Thread

The medical report showed he had COVID-19, and was high on fentanyl and methamphetamine. Who knows if all that also contributed to his death?

And that’s the point. There are those in society who have serious health problems. The question isn’t whether we should all be healthy 100% of the time. The question is whether the entire economy should be shut to protect those who have serious underlying health problems?

I think Sweden got it right, they isolated the elderly and the vulnerable, allowing the rest of society to function as normal.

I’m pretty sure ‘I can’t breath’ as a knee was held on his neck for 8 minutes until he lost consciousness indicated the problem. Come on man.

2 Likes

It will spike among elderly and those with other serious health problems. Wouldn’t it be smarter to isolate those people, and allow the rest of society to function?

It won’t only spike amongst the elderly but also middle aged and even the few young people who are susceptible for whatever reason, as health facilities became overwhelmed. As I mentioned I know multiple people in their 40s who required hospitalisation. They weren’t notably unhealthy , okay one is obese, three just slightly overweight. It won’t be as bad as the first wave, I agree, cos health authorities are much more prepared now.

Can we isolate older people, yes, it’s one idea of course. But then they will complain a lot too about their rights being taken away.

Did I say the officer’s knee wasn’t the cause?

Well you tried to dilute it with mention of other things that weren’t actually killing him…the knee on the neck was the thing that was killing him. As he said ‘I can’t breath’.

1 Like

So take everyone’s rights away to make it fair?

I’m just saying people will always complain whatever you do.

They didn’t. Can you check what actually happened. They got it wrong with the nursing homes.

Please go back and read it.

Also, have you ever dealt with someone high on drugs. If you have, you’d know they quite often have difficulty breathing.

1 Like

Yes well people with sleep apnea have difficulty breathing too. Should we try to say people who died from knees on their neck for 8 minutes until they were rendered unconscious were done in by their sleep apnea.
Weak sauce argument.

2 Likes

I mean they got the strategy correct stating they would isolate the vulnerable. Unfortunately they didn’t execute their own strategy as well as they could have. But overall still a better outcome than a complete closure of the country.

They iterated their strategy, and other countries are iterating theirs. It’s a process and in practice very few countries are undergoing any national lockdown or strict lockdown at present.

Crowded urbanised countries with multiple people per household simply couldn’t do what Sweden did. I’ve lived in Sweden it’s very different than most countries. Many people live on their own there, most couples get divorced after their kids grow up. They don’t live with their elderly parents. They keep distance from each other anyway.

1 Like
2 Likes

So your’e saying Sweden’s strategy is only working because they already isolate the elderly?

I think China and Taiwan and New Zealand and Australia ultimately have the best strategy.
You can’t live normally with the virus no matter which way you cut it until you get a vaccine.
I look outside and Taiwan’s economy is booming with just 7 deaths. 30k extra cars sold in August compared to last year .Highways jammed with trucks. New factories still being constructed here. Almost no social distancing required. Many hotels and b&bs busy. Restaurants and bars full.
Why you keep going on about Sweden , they are a joke compared to Taiwan!!!

1 Like

The flu vaccine has been around for 72 years. And there’s still an annual flu season almost every year.

Also getting a flu vaccine doesn’t stop you from getting the flu.

2 Likes

There’s no new info there.
There are over 100 coronavirus vaccines in development, 32 in relatively advanced stage. Covid-19 will be well served by many vaccine candidates, much more than the flu even.

The only thing Taiwan got right was border control. Everything else is noise. I don’t see any social distancing here. In fact I see the opposite everywhere I look.

You aren’t making any sense.
7 deaths.
Booming economy compared to almost anywhere.
Success is success and no need to sacrifice granny and grandad.
Everybody else can go to hospital and continue with regular check-ups and operations as there is no virus in Taiwan.
Old people go out to the wet market with no fear at all. You don’t need to social distance if there is no virus.