COVID-19 Rules (schools)

hahahaha. yeah. no. no soap. Not until I started bringing a bar of hotel stuff and keeping it in the bathroom. I know I was the only one using it cuz one tiny bar lasted a month or so. Students asked me all the time why I was washing my hands with soap. Oh they are in for a treat this semester. The next month or so of all my classes will be about hand washing and general hygiene…
In other news, there is soap at all the sinks right now, but only one bar per basin. So that’s one bar per four faucets. The school administrators explained that “there’s no way four people will be washing their hands at the same time, so it’s ok”. Um…

1 Like

Haven’t they ever heard of soap dispensers?
Oh wait! My school has soap dispensers in the
washrooms, but the soap dispensers are either
empty or broken. I guess my school is not
ready for total prevention.

1 Like

Or hang the soap bars in those little nets from the spout. My kids’ schools have two or three hanging on every one of those hallway sinks.

The kids largely don’t bother to use those. And the teachers don’t seem to get on their back about it.

I’m not sure the soap bars are all that effective unless they’re legitimately antibacterial and not just little fragranced blocks of fat.

People shouldn’t use antibacterial anything unless they have a legitimate medical need. Soap just better allows the running water to clean all foreign material off your hands.

http://www.planet-science.com/categories/under-11s/chemistry-chaos/2011/06/soap---how-does-it-get-things-clean.aspx

3 Likes

I’ve read things about proper hand washing that state sustained friction is the real key to getting rid of bacteria. But I dunno. I used to use the bar of soap sitting in the public restroom at my work, but I couldn’t feel certain about it cleaning my hands effectively. After I got a stomach bug once some months ago, I started bringing my own hand soap to work, and I haven’t had any problems since.

Of course, it could be a fluke. But it still makes me feel wary. Maybe it’s not a problem with the soap, but the sharing of one soap with many people.

I’ve read that while soap bars can contain bacteria from other users, if you properly scrub your hands for 20 seconds before rinsing, the bacteria comes off with the bacteria that’s already on your hands. I think I saw something about even Ebola or something coming off, but that’s a very dangerous claim to be making.
Bar soaps are easy enough to carry in a small tin without worrying about spills at the bottom of bags, so if it’s a huge concern you can always bring you own to avoid contact with the diseases of others…then again the container could harbor its own nasties

2 Likes