Covid cough - medication suggestions?

Hi ~ I’m desperately looking for the 龍角散 (Ryukakusan) throat powder as shown in the photos. I could only find the candy - looked everywhere at Watsons, Cosmed, Carrefour, etc.

Does anyone have a better idea? Or could recommend something else for covid-related wet cough / phlegm? Thank you so much

ryukakusan 1
ryukakusan 2

1 Like

You will likely have better luck going to a mom-and-pop pharmacy.

2 Likes

Have you tried Matsumoto Kiyoshi or 日藥本舖?

1 Like

I’ll have a look at FB accounts of people/companies that bring stuff from Japan. Maybe local Quijote or Japanese pharmacies might have it.

I’d also be interested in a cough medication. I got the same thick phlegm after COVID cough, mostly in the evenings. Sounds like a deflated balloon or this doggie fellow:

Edit
You are right. The lozenges are readily available. The powder…well, iHerb has it.

They have a Taiwan distributor

https://www.ryukakusan.com.tw/info.asp

That’d be great, thanks @Icon :slight_smile: I’ve heard good things about the powder. The lozenges are quite different so don’t really work; I tried them already. I wish Ryukakusan would post a list of retailers where you can readily buy their goods

Oh that must be tiring… how long’s your phlegmy cough lasting?

You mean how long it lasts when it starts or how long it has been since I got the plague?

It’s been over a month. Aside from the cough, I feel fine. And the cough is occasionally happening. I’ve been meaning to go to my ENT for checkup but after all the meds I took while sick I am not that enthusiastic.

Pray you dont get the non-phlem, dry “smokers” deep chest cough that I and so many others have after Covid.

Not fun.

1 Like

I didn’t get any significant coughing, but now, in the second week after testing positive, when taking a deep breath, I am feeling it, deep down, kind of scary. Feels like I am going to drown for a few moments. Hope there is no permanent damage.

1 Like

My bronchi feel like there is glue between them and it makes it really hard to take a deep breath. Not comfortable.

Go get a chest xray.
Pneumonia is a common side affect.

3 Likes

I get that. I can’t sleep for more than a couple of hours. Wheezing and difficulty breathing. Sometimes I think I’m going to suffocate.

1 Like

What happened to not going around town with covid spreading it? was the last 3 years of fear mongering for nothing?

In all seriousness, isnt it illegal to go out and about with covid?

I am sorry to hear that. Not being able to sleep due to breathing problems sounds awful.

I am sleeping with two pillows. When I had GERD, I got me one of those triangular pillows that keeps your head and torso higher. Maybe that would help with the cough? Keep the phlegm down?

2 Likes

Thank you for your kind words.

Thing is, I don’t cough. I just struggle breathing, and can’t sleep more than a couple of hours at a time. I feel permanently tired and exhausted.

2 Likes

That doesn’t sound good.

After I got pneumonia back last century - my first winter in Taiwan- they sent me some medication to strengthen my lungs. They should be able to hook you up with something to help the ol alveoli recover.

1 Like

This. I got a bad case of Covid on Jan 22nd and went to the ER. Got meds and felt better except for the congestion/phlegm and constant fatigue. Five days after my quanrantine ended I went back to the hospital, doc did a chest x-ray and found I had pneumonia. I’m back on meds and finally yesterday, after two weeks of feeling like crap, I have some energy again. Follow-up appointment is Thursday.

I’ve learned not to mess with bronchial infections.

2 Likes

Ok, I got the goods.

I found it in a traditional neighborhood pharmacy. It costs 250 NTD for this cookie size tin filled with a magic powder that’s supposed to be very effective.

Pharmacist assured me this was good for post COVID cough and recommended this over the small package ones -the second pic in OP, blue package -as she said the components are different. It is also mint flavored.

Perhaps the magic powder is this one? 清冠一號

gov was pushing this one and in a mad rushto source herbs last year.

Ingredients: 黃芩、魚腥草、北板藍根、栝樓實、荊芥、薄荷、桑葉、厚朴、炙甘草及防風

Note they are pretty loose on ingredients with tcm, so one ingredient could be 20 different species/varieties. eg. the mints. Mileage may vary :slight_smile:

Do you mean she recommended the green box - picture 2?

I found it too :slight_smile: . Turns out it comes in big (490 NTD) and small (250 NTD). Have you tried it yet?

I’m currently trying Ambroxol tablets (‘Mubroxol’) as that was recommended to me, too.

No. Decided to go to my ENT, he checked me out and prescribed some pills for the cough.

I’ll leave this stuff for the next cold.