😷 COVID - Covid Tests to take a flight

The other good news is raising the cap on the number of weekly arrivals. Will this change (from the current 25,000/week to 40,000/week) give my beloved Japan Airlines the chance to reinstate some of the flights to Taiwan they had hacked away? Please? I need to get home!

Guy

1 Like

Hi @finley I’m jumping off in Istanbul…… for what I can see, Turkey requires no PCR or other tests to enter

I was wondering if Taiwan has any rules regarding boarding aircraft in Taiwan

No Taiwan does not. The rules are based on the requirements of your final destination, so in this case you need to follow what Turkey wants.

Guy

Nah, no testing rules for boarding. At least not at the moment.

Thank you guys, much appreciated. Of course I’ll recheck with airline a few days before travelling……

You just need to be in compliance with what the government of Turkey wants from its arrivals; it’s not a decision made by Turkish Airlines.

Guy

The airline might have their own requirements in addition to the involved countries, however. It’s not unheard of, for example, that some airlines require their passengers to wear a mask on board even when the destination country (and/or departing country) does not require this.

So it’s probably still better to check with the airline.

2 Likes

That is true; I was thinking strictly in terms of COVID tests.

Japan Airlines—which I just flew earlier today—made a point of saying “We know your home countries may not require masks, but we require you to wear a mask when you are on our planes!”

With the exception of small children, everyone seemed to comply on board. I had a great flight. :grin:

Guy

A POSTSCRIPT: Narita Airport, on the other hand, was a mess. My boarding gate was next to a code-shared flight headed to Dallas Fort Worth. Dear lord these people really did think—while in Narita, Japan—that they were in the USA: no masks in sight, thrusting US dollars at amazingly calm Japanese cashiers . . . I got away from there as fast as I could.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for your input

According to Turkish Airlines, also not required

Also it seems, effectively July 14th, I’ll not require a PCR Test to r-enter Taiwan either (ARC)

Step by step… things are getting a little easier, and a little more normal (at least for now)

2 Likes

For those who encounter such things: the legal situation here is hazy. The airline may choose either to enforce the laws of their destination country, their flag country, or (when on the ground) the country they leave from. However they don’t have any legal right to just make up their own rules for medical devices, and you’ll generally find that if neither the destination country nor the flag country has a mask mandate, you don’t have any obligation to wear a mask on board, and in those instances the airline is just hoping you’ll comply. 99% of the time the air crew know this and are just going through the motions, so there’s no need to be confrontational about it - once you’re in the air, just take it off if you need to and you’ll find that nobody says anything. In fact I’ve found that the air crew often help things along by handing out an endless supply of snacks and drinks (with an actual nudge and a wink, in one instance) so that you have an excuse to take the mask off. Another good option is to just bring a large bag of peanuts or chips and graze on them through the entire flight.

1 Like

Awesome - will put this to the test in a couple of weeks

Thank you for not flying Japan Airlines. :grin:

Guy

Bit irresponsible for you to be flying around during a pandemic anyway, at least until you’ve been quintuply vaccinated to stop you spreading new variants around. I hope you’re keeping that mask glued to your face, anyway. :whistle:

4 Likes

It’s my first trip in three years. My parents are not getting any younger. Thank you for your concern.

Guy

1 Like

Mine neither. You’re not unique there. Those are the sacrifices many of us have needed to make over the last 2.5 years to comply with the epidemic prevention measures (/quackery) you like to support.

Have a nice trip.

Andrew

4 Likes

Thank you for the nice wishes.

For the “quackery” part, I was referring only to mask wearing. I am sorry this seems to have distrubed you. Based on what I saw yesterday at Narita Airport, you may be more comfortable in Dallas Fort Worth.

Guy

Nah, I’m not distrubed, and have little inclination to go to the U.S.

Don’t forget to remind the Japanese to wear their face masks properly now. Maybe one of the Japanese-speaking Forumosans can teach you the Japanese for “Ihre Impfpapiere, bitte.” :rofl:

Did you wear a mask in Canada? Do your family? I’m just curious if you do it when people around you aren’t.

Interestingly, the Japanese people I met do not seem to have a hang up with masks.

The folks I saw from outside of East Asia, including some Filipinos and people from South Asia, seemed to struggle more to get the hang of it.

Guy

6 posts were split to a new topic: Masking and peanuts on flights