šŸ˜· COVID - Covid Tests to take a flight

Recently flights on EVA (using Star Alliance points) - at least traveling to the U.S - became available (mainly economy class). For the past year or more I have not seen EVA as an option (when booking via points on United). When I booked my return trip to the U.S there were plenty of seats showing (that was a couple of days ago). Just my experience, but doesnā€™t seem to be a massive surgeā€¦as this thread notes the issue is obtaining pre-flight COVID19 tests (which a number of hospitals have not stopped providing)ā€¦

Yeah right now there are some great miles deals available for United for business class if you book a week out. Not sure where all the people who are taking up the self pay COVID tests are going.

I also think as long as there is not level 4 announced most will stay here. I was looking to go back to avoid summer heat anyway. Fear level 5 approaches soon, and then Iā€™m sure flights gonna be cancelled.

It Taiwan follows Europeā€™s footsteps there is no reason to have 14 day quarantine for fully vaccinated people coming back next winter. So letā€™s see how it works out. I would like to return in December but not sure if quarantine is still 15+7ā€¦

Problem is by the time it becomes all but certain Level 4 is coming a lot of people might be rushing for the exits at the same time.

Doubt that Taiwanā€™s priority will be reducing quarantine restrictions for anybody, even vaxxed residents, following the pilot clusterf.

The people I wonder about are the ones who have been here on tourist visa extensions. Made sense to stay in paradise but now that the virus is in I wonder if some will finally head home. Also wonder if Taiwan will stop issuing extensions. Made sense to let people stay when times were good but doesnā€™t really if the outbreak gets worse.

1 Like

Source please ? Which country did cancel all flights ? A lot of the remaining flights in the world now are also cargo flights, why would they cancel them ?

If we reach a high level of Covid restriction, most likely there will be more passengers flying than before for at least some days / weeks.

Well they wonā€™t like to fly to Taiwan empty. Not sure if flights are cancelled already, but will happen. Been like that all the time last year in Europe. They may hope for a short rush out, but then like Turkish airlines all returns this year are free to move around to another date. So they cannot make much money. I just hope if they cancel my flight next Tuesday I can still rebook for Saturday flight, and manage a test in time. Just walk up any hospital and ask for testing on the spot

Most were already canceled (even before this crisis, few people were travelling from / to Europe). Paris used to be every day, now it is once a week (and almost empty) but they donā€™t care, because it is probably used as a cargo plane too.

They might cancel flights, no one knows, but it is not as obvious as it could sound.
I hope it will work for you. Where are you going ? Which company ?

If they cancel your flight, you can of course change for the next one. When i was coming to taiwan, eva air cancelled two of my flights and i rebooked one with no fees.

The European airlines tend to cancel all flights. And Turkish airlines is crap, they will not allow free rebooking on other Star alliance carriers. Nor pay any compensation. They will just claim some law changed in Turkeyā€¦ Happened to me last year already direction Italy.

Please donā€™t be fooled by ā€œeverything is going back to normal in Europeā€. We still have 15K (!!!) people infected every day in France.
Last year, we thought everything was OK exactly at the same period, and then 3 months later, we started to have 20K every day again.
Guys, please donā€™t forget that some taiwan cities are almost empty with 3 cases every day while france is reopening restaurants with > 20K . Taiwan is still one of the safest place in the world.
I understand that vaccines could change that, but it is far too early to be sure of that.

Turkish is not the best one, but you should just insist. I had a refund after 6 monthes from them. You can find some sample letters online to make things moved.

Well with insisting last time the brought me to Vienna. Then I continued two days later with Ryanair to Milan. Last plane to touchdown before airport closure for months. Haha what a an experience. The terminals were already closed so we excited via a door in a fence. 3 pax on the plane. Turkish could have just rebooked me to a Lufthansa connection straight to Milan but didnā€™t. Came from Nepal and they stopped flying to Italy like 10.days earlier as all other airlines due to unprofitability.

I mean, my class has 28 kids and four of them are going to the US ā€œto get vaccinatedā€ in the two weeks that weā€™re virtual. I mean, looking at the rest of the world, we might be virtual for longer, but quarantine is two weeks + 7, so those parents are already giving up on this school year. Itā€™s a small sample of the Taipei ultra rich, but itā€™s the sample size I have

1 Like

My sample would be the coming flights to Paris are still almost completely full. I am pretty sure there will not be a massive surge but I may be completely wrong.

I understand the purpose is the vaccine but still kind of funny to go in a country with XX.XXX cases every day and where a lot of people donā€™t want to wear a mask and fly away from a country where everyone is panicking and all the streets are empty while the numbers are still very low.

Yes - if you are afraid about being infected - best stay here. If you are afraid about no social life due to people panicking, and/or simply restaurants, gyms, sport halls and so on all shut down - then get out of Taiwan as long as you can get tests and can get a flight out.

I do feel if there is prolonged local spread - the 14 days quarantine has no substance anymore. That was part of a 0 case strategy which I feel Taiwan cannot fall back to anymore. I guess it will be here like in Europe - fully vaccinated = you can get in with a test and no quarantine. Will just take some time.
Taiwan will really have to ramp up testing - not in hospitals. Testing belongs to crowded places in cities where people pass by often. Hospitals can be for people with symptoms. Not nice that this is mixed anyhow.

Really depends. As I posted earlier, as someone who is soon flying to CA, CA is down to 3.2 cases per 100,000 and the positive test rate is under 1%. Almost 50% of the population is fully vaxxed, and another 15% are partially vaxxed.

If you get really sick, there are over 2,000 free ICU beds in CA right now.

Science says airline travel is safer than going to the supermarket if you follow the protocols. Everyone is required to show a negative COVID test no earlier than 3 days before the flight. Can you say that about every person there with you in Carrefour?

1 Like

My point was only to say that Taiwan is still one of the safest place in the world, thatā€™s all.
And this study makes no sense :

• it was sponsored by the airline and airport industries.
  • However, flyers should still wear their masks at all times (lol)

Pretty sure they would compare a 12 hours flight with 12 hours in carrefour i guess ā€¦
Of course flying is pretty safe if everyone respects every protocol / measures and never take off their mask, but going to carrefour would be too (and more)

Just because other people on the aircraft has been tested you donā€™t know if they just left from a funeral, religious meeting, tea house or somewhere where the virus enjoy itself.

Clearly itā€™s not safer than shopping in a supermarket, how would that be possible?

ā€œBefore you rush to book that plane ticket, thereā€™s one important thing to note about this studyā€”it was sponsored by the airline and airport industries.ā€

0 people died in Texas from COVID yesterday. 2 people died in Taiwan.

Things have changed in Taiwan. The virus is in and itā€™s spreading. How much it will spread nobody knows. We could be back on track in a few weeks or in a Level 4 lockdown for months. Everybody has to assess the risk and make a decision for themselves based on lots of factors.

There are plenty of places you can fly into where cases are low and large numbers of people are vaxxed. Reality is that the worst is behind much of the US.

Hereā€™s another study since you donā€™t like the one I posted.

Something to think about. How many people who were on flights to Taiwan with a passenger who later tested positive caught the virus?

No one doesnā€™t like your ā€œstudyā€. But if you quote a ā€œstudyā€ about how fast food is less dangerous than eating vegetables, and this study is sponsored by McDonald, please let us be a bit sceptical.

ā€œScience says airline travel is safer than going to the supermarket if you follow the protocols.ā€ We were just not convinced that ā€œscienceā€ said so.

BTW, regarding your new study : The authors received support from The Boeing Company (HNW) by way of a subcontract to the Georgia Institute of Technology (VSH). :wink:

Again, how many imported COVID cases in Taiwan were passengers on flights into Taiwan where another passenger tested positive? I know of 0.

Anyway, if you believe that traveling on a plane to the US is too dangerous, donā€™t do it.