šŸ˜· COVID - Flying to the US

Try Walgreens. Results generally within 2 hours, and free. No need to even give insurance card. Done in drive-through, and you do it yourself.
Check its website. Has a button to click to find places near you that do rapid NAAT, which airlines accept.

2 Likes

Taiwan requires an RT-PCR test within two calendar days. At least this is what we learned from calling the airline and govt websites. PCR tests are still expensive if you cannot wait 3-5 days.

Walgreens quotes 48 hours but cannot guarantee which is why I had to go to urgent care. And due to the spike in travel it was difficult just to get an appointment.

Test results cannot be guaranteed by a specific time, including for travel. PCR test results turnaround time is an estimate and may vary during periods of increased demand and other factors, such as transmitting and processing delays during weekends, holidays or inclement weather.

1 Like

Nope nope nope nope. Didnā€™t do due diligence. Letā€™s just say I know many many Taiwanese and others whoā€™ve used Walgreens rapid NAAT (just like itā€™s allowed below).
You should have pointed airline to this page.
The govā€™t just uses ā€œRT-PCRā€ kind of like using xerox to photocopy something.
Thereā€™s like 10 tests down below. Anyway.
This will benefit others.

Q7ļ¼šWhat items are required for a COVID-19 RT-PCR test within two days prior to the flight schedule time?
A7ļ¼šć€ˆaccompanying measures怉
1.A test report must be for a nucleic acid test, a molecular biology technique for testing, and must contain the following: the name on the passport of the traveler, the date of birth (or passport number) of the traveler, the virus name (COVID-19 or SARS-CoV-2), specimen collection date, the test method (PCR, real-time PCR, (Rapid) RT-PCR, RT-qPCR (Quantitative Reverse Transcription PCR), NAA (nucleic acid amplification), (Rapid) NAAT (nucleic acid amplification test), NAT (nucleic acid test), LAMP (Loop/Mediated isothermal Amplification), RT-LAMP, COVID-19 RNA test, SARS-CoV-2 RNA test, or molecular diagnostics), and the interpretation result of ā€œnegativeā€ or ā€œundetectable.ā€
ā€»If a COVID-19 RT-PCR test report presented by a traveler contains only the ā€œtest report dateā€ without the ā€œspecimen collection date,ā€ the report is not in compliance with the requirements. The traveler is advised to contact the medical institution that conducted the test for revision to avoid being fined.

1 Like

Yes I saw that but the airline did not accept. So if thatā€™s the case great but didnā€™t work in my case. As I said, pain in the ass.

1 Like

It worked for EVA in all the cases I know. And also for United Airlines for my brother-in-law out of SanFran.
Which airline out of where?
(and that sucks to hear. Bull-sheet on that airline. Sorry you had to pay that amount. Never should have.)

Also United probably couldā€™ve fought with them more, but my wife went through a similar issue last year where the people at the counter made her almost miss a flight arguing with her over it. So I went with where I could get an appointment and not have the hassle.

1 Like

Still need to be vaccinated, but no testing for COVID-19 required anymore.

1 Like

U.S. citizens and residents (greencard holders) do not need to be vaccinated (unless that changed overnight, as it was that way last time I checked few days ago on govā€™t site).

2 Likes

Thereā€™s no such thing. Patronizing someone would probably be the closest thing to ā€œrespectful condescension.ā€ And thatā€™s worse imo.

Right. Thanks for the clarification. Forgot about that.

1 Like

I thought that I would need a PCR as well, but the free NAAT from walgreens didnā€™t cause me any issues with Korea Air when I flew back in May. I also was worried about my test not having my middle name on it, but that also turned out to be a non-issue (and is in-fact mentioned in the Q&A)

1 Like

Hereā€™s some good news for some soon to be travellers.

1 Like

I recently booked my flightā€¦ going home next weekā€¦ direct flight on EVAā€¦ it cost a pretty penny. Since Iā€™m going to the US and given this recent news, I guess I do not need to do any testing prior to travelling?

Also, whatā€™s the deal with the quarantine now? I have to spend the whole 7 days at one place, as far as my understanding goes. If I choose to do that at home, does someone need to come with and inspect my place to make sure it meets the requirements or something? Or can I just go there and they take my word for it that it meets the requirements?

3+4 at home. No one from anywhere will come with you to ā€œinspectā€ your apartment to meet the requirements upon your day of arrival.
However, youā€™ll get a call on day 0 (arrival back in Taiwan) from local police precinct.
They could always do a surprise visit or not.
They or someone else will bring a bag of food goodies. So, you never know if someone ever will take a peek once you are there. Chances are low, butā€¦ I would not secretly have other people in the apartment. Thatā€™s just me.

1 Like

Got itā€¦ I wasnā€™t planning on sneaking people over while Iā€™m supposed to be in quarantine, but just wondering what the process isā€¦ I guess they just take you at your word. Iā€™m going to make sure that I have a huge bottle of Jim Beam and a case of Coke waiting for me at the house for when I get backā€¦

Is this or the guidelines written down somewhere officially?

Not a ā€œguidelineā€, but from 2 experiences. Just doesnā€™t happen on first day.
However, someone typically comes with a care package within first few days.

but was this back when it was 2 weeks? Iā€™ve already stocked up my freezer and pantry with food for my quarantine time, as well as a humongous bottle of Jim Beam and a case of Coke. Would be nice if someone brought me some fresh fruit and veg, hahaā€¦

They did care packages for 7+7.
@Chris59 is in 3+4, correct? You get a care package ?

No, just 2 rapid tests.

1 Like