😷 COVID - Taiwan | Home Quarantine

The “looser” Must-Win Wang gets with the quarantine restrictions, the more complicated and gobbly-gook they become for people to understand what can and cannot be done and where and with whom and for how many toilets in the same apartment, blah blah blah.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing.

How’s your Monday evening? Enjoying the nice weather?

Guy

This should also apply to Airbnb properties where you’re the only person, right? It gets a bit murky because they specifically say you can’t go to a non-quarantine hotel during that period, but an entire Airbnb property is more like a rental than a hotel.

I don’t think Air B&B is currently legal for the “3” in the 3+4 scheme.

If I am wrong about that, I’d love to hear more.

Guy

Curious where the “resident” part is? My mom was set to arrive on the 31st, but we are contemplating switching to the 1st. She has a visiting relatives visa, but we would be able to give her “1 room” in our house

1 Like

Remember the “one room” part applies (in the new September 1 changes linked above) to the +4 part of quarantine only.

Before then, she needs to be the only resident in that place, or stay in a quarantine hotel.

Alternatively, as discussed by others, you could move to a hotel and let your mom stay at your place during the quarantine period.

Guy

2 Likes

Good point. What I should have said is “people with a residence here” or “people who know people with a residence here.”

For newbies arriving in Taiwan for a new job, university studies, or other opportunities, we’re on our own without such access to a residence. And there the modified rules have little relevance.

Guy

2 Likes

Definitely change to the 1st!

3 Likes

Thanks for the updates. Oh well. I still had a slim hope the rules would loosen before my flights next week, but nope, these changes will be too late to help out.

1 Like

So a couple traveling together can stay in a single quarantine hotel room together? But for the +4 they’d need to have a separate bedroom and bathroom? Or could they still stay in one bedroom and the separate facilities are for others who did not quarantine with them?

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I got one call and that was “we’re the nearby police people. Everything ok with quarantine for you? Can you confirm your address? K, if you have problems just call this number. Your quarantine ends on 8/14. Bye!”

I’m not endorsing breaking rules, but I will say that if they’re unclear and you do accidentally break one, I don’t think anyone will even know, including yourself.

1 Like

I’m specifically amused by the rules against going to school. I live near a campus and walk across it for many of the places I go to, including grocery stores. So … am I supposed to walk around it? I presume I’m going to ignore that rule (if it’s a rule! As you say, I don’t know if I’m breaking rules!) in the +4 period.

On which day did you get the call?

I’m still waiting for mine. :grin:

Guy

1 Like

You’re not a student, so this does not apply to you.

Guy

2 Likes

They called me on the first full day. I hadn’t gotten any CECC texts yet (it was noonish and last year they were at precisely 10 a.m) and I asked about that and they were like “oh, yeah, maybe you’ll get one tomorrow :person_shrugging: ”. If they don’t call, oh well

2 Likes

I think the student thing assumes you live in close quarters with others and that you’re spending a lot of time in class with a lot of other people. Like the SEA slaves that are crammed into tiny spaces called housing, the risk of cluster infections is high.

1 Like

That’d make sense. But as @KHHville said above, with all the carve-outs and changes things get complicated, and “People … may not go to school” (quoted from the English-language article linked above) could be interpreted any number of ways.

For what it’s worth, here’s a link for the Chinese CDC announcement about the September 1st changes. I believe there’s no English version yet. If I’m reading it correctly, it doesn’t say anything about schools / students one way or the other. (EDIT: I’m not trying to figure out the specifics of what’s allowed and not allowed! I’m just wryly amused by the number of ways rules could be interpreted.)

2 Likes

Have a question and was wondering if anybody could clarify. For the +4 days, according to the rules, you are ok to go to work, but students aren’t allowed to go to school. What if you’re a teacher? People say they aren’t allowed to go to work, but they aren’t students. The English rules only state that students can’t go to school. It doesn’t say anything about teachers.

What are the official rules on this? Does anybody know?

I don’t know official rules, but you should talk to your institution(s). Mine insists no going in the classroom until another seven days after the +4 period has ended, i.e. two weeks total after arriving. That’s for both students and teachers.

1 Like

I’m helping someone avoid spending money on a quarentine hotel by setting them up in an empty apartment. Is anyone going to stop him? Does he need any documents to prove he has a private residence?

edit: he is flying in