😷 COVID | Traveling during Covid-19

I was asked to submit test results when they were in full paranoia mode (I think you can guess how I handled that). Last time, though, I was given three test kits; two of them I gave away and the other went in the trash. Nobody ever inquired about the result.

To be fair, I’m guessing that the CDC won’t be using you in their next educational video explaining how incoming travelers should comply with epidemic prevention measures. You might not be representative. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Bought my ticket…couple of days later a certain US airline that shall remain nameless sent an email with an unilateral schedule change. Sigh.

Better than a coworker whose flight was cancelled…the night before.

Not what you’d expect from a trans-Pacific/Atlantic jump.

Seriously considering to send my luggage by cargo, travel light. These are untrustworthy times.

Unfortunately with U.S. airlines trans-Pacific during COVID-19, you get what you pay (cheaper) for, versus buying either CAL or EVA ticket, which yes, is probably more expensive. Perhaps U.S. airlines out of Taiwan/Japan are now experiencing their own big uptick in demand, yet lack the personnel (flight crew) to match it.

I am paying for Taiwan airline for trans-Pacific, which connects to US airline. Since it is second bit, it’s worrying but not emergency. My coworker was the one left hanging… literally, on her trans -Atlantic. My concern here is like, WTH?!? We’re paying premium, 1000 USD over normal prices.

They were the ones who declared pandemic over, no masks… yet not enough employees and loads of passengers keep rising. They better get their stuff in order before the Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year rush. European airlines and airport personnel, US airports…all not able to handle the rush yet.

When mandates put a steel rebar in the wheel of a bicycle riding at economically efficiency, like the airline industry was pre-COVID, all kinds of sheet will happen that will not be fixed quickly, nor even be fixed back to what it was pre-COVID. I have zero hope for the global airline industry to get back to normal so quickly.

1 Like

I’d would not be so bold as to call it efficient. But certainly clean it wasn’t, with big companies being bailed out and using funds to prop up their stocks and pay generous premiums to execs…and still firing thousands of employees.

More flight restrictions early on, like in 2003, would have saved the industry from massive layoffs and losing personnel to the disease. Alas greed and failing to act quickly by protecting employees was the problem.

If you try blaming vaccine mandates, well, those came much later and did not last long.

Overall, the industry started ailing after 911, where protections and union conventions were put aside, leaving bare for profits services. Ever since, it’s actually been a roller coaster, with airlines far more fragile than before. Alas, big loses mean big gains for executives, so there is little support to change a capitalist system rigged for failure.

What an Orwellian phrase.

Good news though. The +7 is about to get less strict here in Taiwan. If I’m reading this right, they’ll just supply 4 free COVID tests upon arrival; no more tracking or checking in. So hopefully people landing in Taoyuan can immediately get on the HSR to their destination wherever it is on the island.

3 Likes

I wonder how the CECC will airbrush the absence of hospitals being overwhelmed as the new rules kick in.

1 Like

That is why they have to keep the mask rules for longer. To stop the hospitals being overwhelmed

I was thinking they might have to arrange an overwhelmed hospital so they can say “told you so”.

That’s an easy one. They – and friends of masking and pointless measures – will just take it as proof that the careful approach was a success and the rules were relaxed at just the right time to avoid the hospitals being overwhelmed.

2 Likes

Sorry wrong thread.

Well the 13th is tomorrow guys, so I’ll just post this as a reminder:

3 Likes

Meanwhile in Japan . . .

Guy

2 Likes

In the article, it says:
“2. Positive cases with mild symptoms can commence home care in enhanced quarantine hotels, quarantine centers, or their original self-health monitoring accommodations. However, they are not allowed to stay in regular hotels.”

This is confusing. So (just guessing) we can stay in Airbnb’s for the 0+7 days, but if we test positive we can still stay in the Airbnb’s with mild symptoms, but not regular hotels? Or we have to move to “quarantine hotels, quarantine centers etc”?? Does anyone know?

1 Like

I’m not clear if regular hotels are even permitted. Are they still going to make you fill out the COVID entry form and track your phone in any way? I assume no on the tracking as they didn’t seem to after the quarantine was over in the old scheme.

Japan is also suffering travel woes, not enough personnel. Many flights cancelled last minute -EVA Air mostly affected.

2 Likes

Oh look the CECC has an announcement on that regard in English:

D. Electronic fencing and monitoring measures will be suspended, and home quarantine designation will no longer be marked in the National Health Insurance system. Home quarantine services from local governments will also be suspended.

1. In principle, arriving travelers should stay at home or a residence of a friend or family member or a hotel room that meets the requirement of “one person per room” (with a private bathroom) in the self-initiated prevention period.
2 Likes

This has changed, a shared bathroom is acceptable. https://www.cdc.gov.tw/ArrivalQuarantine/info_en_1013.html

3 Likes