šŸ˜· COVID | Traveling during Covid-19

Never thought my investment in Hangzhou Hung Dong Gentle Touch Rectal Technology & Foodstuffs Co. Ltd. would pay off.

1 Like

there is but pretty loose. my wife has to self quarantine at home for 14 days after arriving home a few days ago. but there is no monitoring to see if she does so.

she hasnt left the house since returning home, but since we live together and we have two indoor/outdoor cats.
potentially me being out and about could infect others if say she infected me and both of us have no symtoms and our two indoor/outdoor cats could in theory infect neighborhood cats?

1 Like

G-dam, mama, is there anything useful in this thread?

Where is the important stuff about travel restrictions?!

1 Like

If you and she are interacting, thatā€™s not quarantine.

In any case, it really doesnā€™t matter in the US. The virus is everywhere.

1 Like

there are people who would travel to china just for that personal attention.

how does rectal technology and foodstuff be in the same sentence :slight_smile:
i wouldnt be ā€œarsedā€ to buy foodstuff from that joint

Well, as it was explained to me when I invested, the companyā€™s vision is multi-orificed. They will make money both coming and going.

2 Likes

Weirder things aboundā€¦

1 Like

Where are you travelling?

What restrictions have you noted?

If you find out anything, let us know.

Guy

Why is Taiwan not on the list of approved countries for entry into the EU?
Notes come from the KLM Travel app, so canā€™t post a direct link.

1/ nationals and residents of the European Union or the Schengen Area and their family members;

2/ residents of Australia, Korea (South), New Zealand, Rwanda, Singapore or Thailand;

They donā€™t want to upset the CCP?

2 Likes

Could be WTO all over again, canā€™t let Taiwan in unless China goes in at the same time.

So finley is currently in quarantine for two weeks. Iā€™m not particularly bothered about that: Iā€™ve got a whole load of work to catch up on. But the whole ordeal of actually getting back to Taiwan was a surreal experience, and it brought home with maximum force how completely bonkers this whole COVID-19 thing is getting.

• Reams and reams of paperwork and filling-in of forms, endless stupid webpages and apps asking for the same information over and over again. All of it utterly pointless, in the sense that none of it conveys any useful information to anybody. Itā€™s make-work, nothing more. And itā€™s immensely stressful, because youā€™re worrying all the time that maybe youā€™ve missed some obscure piece of paper (that looks exactly like all the other pieces of paper) that some drone is going to demand as you run the gauntlet from Departures to aircraft door. Taiwan slightly better than Elbonia, but not by much.

• Idiotic posturing, rituals, and incantations. Iā€™m talking about pure superstition here with no medical/epidemiological basis. Example: everybody is now waltzing around in these quasi-medical uniforms, complete with disposable plastic gloves. You canā€™t wait in the airport and the Business Class lounges are closed down because Coronavirus, but itā€™s perfectly OK for everyone to cluster around the airport on walls and sidewalks because thereā€™s nowhere for anybody to sit down like civilized people. Itā€™s not just pointless: itā€™s scary, because it illustrates how depressingly close we are to being forest-dwelling, sun-worshipping savages, running around in loincloths and sacrificing virgins to ward off the plague.

• Whole armies of halfwits whose existence revolves around ā€œcheckingā€ the aforementioned random bits of paper or enforcing aforesaid rituals. I swear there are more of these guys than actual passengers in the airports.

Where will it all end, I ask myself.

3 Likes

Welcome back finley.

Are you referencing your experiences on the Philippine or Taiwan side?

Since youā€™re now safely in quarantine, I presume you now have ample time to respond. : D

Guy

2 Likes

Think of all the money thatā€™s either being made, or large existing funds that are being allocated to people. Itā€™s not designed to end. Anytime soon at least.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly. I came back to Taiwan about a month ago and did the whole process. Only got three calls from the foreign affairs police to check my existence, and most of that was clearly conversation practice.

Thereā€™s a huge gulf in what people think the process is like and what it actually is like.

2 Likes

Well ā€¦ both, really. The sheer volume of nonsense in Elbonia was overwhelming, but I found the quality of Taiwanese protocols left a lot to be desired. Same sort of silly forms, same silly fake medical uniforms, and a burdensome requirement to get tested before you board the plane (the purpose is understandable, but given the automatic quarantine requirement, the non-zero chance of becoming infected between test and landing, and the unreliability of the tests, not very sensible).

Yeah, that. And once the money starts flowing in certain directions and people who are otherwise unemployable find themselves with cushy jobs (or an opportunity for graft/power), it tends to become self-sustaining if nobody kicks up a fuss. Which they wonā€™t.

I donā€™t really have any argument with the quarantine system. Itā€™s probably the simplest, least-invasive (for the general population!) and most effective way to ensure Taiwan stays COVID-19 free, although one might argue about whether thatā€™s even important and how long it can be sustained. Itā€™s all the other silliness that upsets me. IMO they should just let people fly, assume that infection will spread on the plane, and use the quarantine system to deal with it.

And please please please stop with all the web forms and apps. I wish we lived in an age where such things werenā€™t even technically possible so that the bureaucrats wouldnā€™t sit there thinking ā€œooh, ooh, letā€™s use the Internet for this!ā€

1 Like

Sure, on paper. But there are massive issues with data hygiene and privacy.

https://medium.com/th-schee/digital-fense-system-enacted-in-taiwan-during-pandemics-5fd3164f82a7

Canā€™t disagree with that. Itā€™s one reason I dislike the ā€œOMG we can put all this on the Internet!ā€ knee-jerk response of policymakers. They often donā€™t understand details like this (or at best they think itā€™s adequate to have an ā€œI agreeā€ box on some bullshit about privacy).

It could be done sensibly. But it hasnā€™t been. Still, if Taiwan wants to remain COVID-19 free (as mentioned Iā€™m not sure if this an entirely wise decision for the long term) then quarantining possibly-positive people and leaving everybody else alone is a much better option than the blunderbuss approach espoused by other countries.

[I]f Taiwan wants to remain COVID-19 free (as mentioned Iā€™m not sure if this an entirely wise decision for the long term) then quarantining possibly-positive people and leaving everybody else alone is a much better option than the blunderbuss approach espoused by other countries

As you figured out, Taiwan quarantines all arrivals, symptomatic or not.

Interestingly, Taiwan also remains largely ā€œCOVID-freeā€ as you put it. This allows small businesses and others to operate (mostly) as before. I fail to see why this is a problem. :upside_down_face:

Guy