šŸ˜· COVID | Traveling during Covid-19

Nailed it:

5: If a traveler transfers to Taiwan through a third place, which voyage is the three-day period of a COVID-19 RT-PCR test report be based on?
A5: (accompanying measures)
1.In principle, the three-day period would be counted from the first boarding time. However, if the traveler transfers through and stays at the third place for more than 3 days (including transfers on both domestic and international flights), the three-day period would refer to 3 days prior to the flight schedule time of the following connecting flight to Taiwan.

1 Like

Hello,

My mom needs to take care of some legal stuff in Taiwan so sheā€™s planning to go to Taiwan for 3 weeks this month but also has a strict deadline to be back in time for work.

She says that flights are regularly getting cancelled and foreign airlines are getting banned here and there.

So sheā€™s afraid that her return flight will be cancelled and that she will miss work. Is she over worrying? Or is it really that risky to fly right now?

2 week hotel quarantine upon arrival. That means only one week in person before her hard deadline. It would be a lot less if a hassle to pay someone to take care of things for her, considering even a s*** hotel is going to be at least USD1000 for those two weeks.

When did flights start being cancelled? I thought flights into TPE and TSA were limited in number but pretty consistently flown before mid-May and after mid-June 2021

2 Likes

I donā€™t think flights are being cancelled as such, but they are being rescheduled at random. However getting out of Taiwan will almost certainly be easier than getting in.

That was an option in the first place? I guess my $ wasnā€™t well spent.

I would recommend booking a hotel in advance. It would be a lot less hassle. Options are more limited if you book last minute. You take a special quarantine taxi to your hotel and pay no more than $1,000. Meals are brought to your door three times a day. You can also order food.

ehhā€¦ it sounds like that depends on the hotel. Some hotels donā€™t allow food delivery, some charge 5% or more of the order total, and some charge NT50-150 per delivery. Then again, some hotels allow food delivery no problem, no charges.

1 Like

I believe thereā€™s a higher risk all over. My EVA flight from TPE in June was cancelled

I think the government quarantine facilities have been open to people from less risky countries at a cost of $2k per day per person since late June.
If youā€™re OK with not knowing where youā€™ll be taken, then it is cheaper.
The AT boutique hotel is 2900 and seems to be ok. Iā€™ve taken him some care packages with some fruit, his favorite noodles, some hidden beers.
View from the window and two meals. (one covered in sriracha he brought)

2 Likes

This. Plus she wonā€™t be able to take the PCR test required to fly out on time. After the 2-weeks quarantine, thereā€™s another week of self-monitoring during which youā€™re not allowed into hospitals, thus no way of getting the PCR test.

1 Like

That seems better than the one I was in (2500 a day), it was the Chuto Plaza in Taoyuan.
They serve food thatā€™s half-cold, there were flying cockroaches in the roomā€¦ The whole experience was lackluster.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry for that. No one should have to live in that mess.

2 Likes

it was 2800, no? Plus the food looks absolutely the same. And food being served half cold will be the same everywhere too. Cause itā€™s just cheaper to get that shit food from outside. Havenā€™t seen any hotel serving proper food on proper plates (the second maybe being forbidden because they would need to discard the plates?).

I was in Chuto hotel too. Sometimes the breakfast was from the hotel kitchen actually. Markedly better than the stuff they brought in from outside.
Had no cockroaches either and the room was pretty big. Compared to other hotels around Taoyuan or Taipei a rather good option. But yeah next time I would definitely go south. Get a hotel without food in first place and instead one where they bring up stuff as often as itā€™s delivered and not only 6 times a day (they said 3 times, but if you stuff arrived a bit late, they made a second round of bringing around food deliveries). But yeah impossible to time to get it warm.
The water cooker was underpowered too. I tried to heat up my food in water bath. Didnā€™t work too well (put a rubbish bag into the sink, cause that one leaked, then boiling water from water cooker).

There were definitely way worse optionsā€¦

1 Like

I think the things she needs to do, needs to be handled by her- such as open a bank account. She got an inheritance from a family member and Iā€™m not sure if she can let someone handle these things for her.

Since we have family there, she will be staying with them, so she doesnā€™t need to worry about hotels.

As for flights, the agency she booked with said her return flight by Eva airlines was cancelled, but when she checked Eva airlineā€™s website, she saw that the flight was available again.

Maybe Iā€™m misunderstanding, but right now she MUST stay in a hotel (or government quarantine facility) for two weeks and cannot go out. No seeing family or going into a bank until the two weeks are up.

5 Likes

Oh, youā€™re probably right, I just assumed. I didnā€™t know that was the rule

1 Like

Yes no quarantine permitted in any homes. Designated hotels or government facilities (booked in advance) only.

Guy

1 Like

Unless sheā€™s an EVA pilot, of course. Then itā€™s ā€œfuck allā€ to any rules.

2 Likes

Yeah, then soon you are no longer an EVA pilot. :neutral_face:

Guy

1 Like

Could your mother not have this matter done by a power of attorney? Maybe her relatives in Taiwan can inquire about this. It would save a lot of travel trouble.

2 Likes