šŸ˜· COVID | Traveling during Covid-19

Has anyone arrived to Taiwan recently? Planning to come back in May again, and it is surprisingly difficult to find clear information about the quarantine rules (articles / info is mixed up to quarantine/isolation for local contacts vs travellers).

Can someone validate if my understanding is correct -

• Residency required (Iā€™ve got Gold Card ARC so no problem)
  • PCR test 2 days before the flight
  • Quarantine: 10 days in (a) paid quarantine hotel, (b) paid govt quarantine facility, or (c) at home***

*** In case of home quarantine, there is still 1 person per residence requirement (so I cannot go back home to my partner). This is my main confusion point, because for local contacts, now multiple people per residence are allowed, and now it seems like even multiple people per one bathroom are allowed if it is disinfected after every use.

My hope obviously is that I could quarantine at home (2 bedroom / 1 bathroom) with my partner (we both have had 3 shots and he has had COVID recently so I donā€™t see any risk to either side really) but it seems like this is not possible yetā€¦ I really hope someone says I have missed something and it is actually already allowed.

1 Like

I fear things are in way too much flux at the moment to get much predictability.

1 Like

Yes, for sureā€¦ but it would be nice if it was at least possible to figure out current rules, which of course may change again without notice.

1 Like

For the ā€œPCR testā€, thereā€™s somewhat of confusion, as Taiwan CDC govā€™t website always uses the term ā€œRT-PCRā€ (almost like the generic term ā€œxeroxā€ to represent any format of copying papers), but far below in the Q&A site there are around 10 different ā€œacceptableā€ tests. Call airline in the U.S. that you are flying with. They can confirm all the details as it is their final decision. On that note, Eva Air and China Air would be best (no matter the price) for obvious reasons.

Q7ļ¼šWhat items are required for a COVID-19 RT-PCR test within two days prior to the flight schedule time?*
A7ļ¼šć€ˆaccompanying measures怉
1.A test report must be for a nucleic acid test, a molecular biology technique for testing, and must contain the following: the name on the passport of the traveler, the date of birth (or passport number) of the traveler, the virus name (COVID-19 or SARS-CoV-2), specimen collection date, the test method (PCR, real-time PCR, RT-PCR, RT-qPCR ļ¼ˆQuantitative Reverse Transcription PCRļ¼‰, NAA (nucleic acid amplification), NAAT (nucleic acid amplification test), NAT (nucleic acid test), LAMPļ¼ˆLoop/Mediated isothermal Amplificationļ¼‰, RT-LAMP, COVID-19 RNA test, SARS-CoV-2 RNA test, or molecular diagnostics), and the interpretation result of ā€œnegativeā€ or ā€œundetectable.ā€
If a COVID-19 RT-PCR test report presented by a traveler contains only the ā€œtest report dateā€ without the ā€œspecimen collection date,ā€ the report is not in compliance with the requirements. The traveler is advised to contact the medical institution that conducted the test for revision to avoid being fined.

1 Like

Iā€™m currently in quarantine at a hotel. Arrivals can only quarantine at home if they are alone in the apartment or traveling with other members of the household and arriving together. Itā€™s still written in the forms you fill out.

Because of the situation here, I understand the facilities are nearly full, this is partly why the rules are different and I would guess are likely to change soon (just my guess).

If you donā€™t have a place booked, Iā€™d get one secured just in case the rules do stay the same.

2 Likes

Well it does seem to have a useful zipper for access :kissing_heart:

I flew in from London Heathrow recently, negative PCR Test required within 48 hours.
Anyhow Taiwanese guy had not had one so they say no fly! He gets rapid test done at the airport- negative flies to Taiwan.
Arrive Taiwan 13 hours later another PCR test :roll_eyes:
Really needs to stop as mine was done only 24 hours before! Ones test positive must be using counterfeit paperwork.

1 Like

This definitely seems noteworthy. Iā€™d love to visit!

Guy

Reposting info hereā€¦

3 Likes

Updated May 3, 2022.

3 Likes

Does anybody know if youā€™re doing 3+4 if you can get on a plane after the last day of home isolation as long as you test negative? The rules Iā€™ve read said you can take public transportation, but to avoid crowded areas. The plane should count as public transportation I would think.

Do you mean on the last day of the ā€œ3ā€ part? If so, that seems dubious, as you are supposed to monitor yourself for the ā€œ4ā€ partā€”and if you do end up getting symptoms or testing positive, what will you do on that plane?

If you test negative on the last day of the ā€œ4ā€ part, that should be fine.

Guy

No I mean any time during the 4 part after you have completed 3 days of home isolation. If you are asked to do home isolation because of being a close contact, but you have never tested positive then you still need to test every day once the 4 part begins. But you are allowed to go out and take public transportation.

So what you are asking is if itā€™s OK to get on a plane on the last day of the health monitoring (+4) part.

If you test negative, I donā€™t see any serious problem here. Though Iā€™d be testing (more) regularly during that +4 period to make sure I didnā€™t run into trouble on a long-haul flight!

Guy

Yes except not the last day, any time during self monitoring, day 1 2 3 or 4. You are supposed to test every day if you go out during that period but are still allowed to take public transportation. But I guess youā€™re saying if itā€™s the last day thatā€™s safest.

1 Like

I have scrolled through this thread, associated threads, and official sources, but with rules seemingly changing on an hourly basis here on the ROC I canā€™t seem to find any definitive answer in English or Chinese. All the info I find relates to requirements for those arriving in Taiwan.

Iā€™m planning on traveling to the UK next month. The UK has no travel restrictions or entry requirements related to COVID. As it currently stands, do I need to do a PCR before boarding a flight from TPE, and if so are these easily available for travelers to organise before their flight? Also, when taking a long flight that includes transferring at other airports (e.g Singapore, HK etc), do you only need to meet any requirements that your departure/destination has, or might I have to jump through some other hoops? Would rather avoid going through HK anyway, but my flight options are limited.

Is there an official source online that keeps this information for travelers up-to-date? I know things may very well change in the next month. Thanks.

1 Like

https://skyteam.traveldoc.aero/

Beware, that Document is out of Date - example, in the case of Australia it still talks of a requirement for a Pre-departure test, to be Vaccinated, and Quarantine which have all been abolished.

Perhaps do a dummy Booking for the intended trip, the Airline itself should show when doing that what the requirements are at the end and any Transit points.

3 Likes

I doubt thereā€™s one official source providing all the information you want - I suspect youā€™ll have to check websites for the airline, and then the different airports.

For example, it looks like EVA (and presumably Taoyuan Airport) (link) donā€™t themselves require a test before boarding, but you may need it, depending on the destination (emphasis added):

All passengers traveling on EVA Air/UNI Air international flights are required to complete a "Passenger Health Declaration Formā€ (Log in Management Your Trip to fill-up online form).

In compliance with the regulations of destination country, you might need to provide the negative COVID-19 test result within the designated time frame prior to departure and/or COVID-19 vaccination certificate. You can click Travel Restrictions to check the latest information with regards to COVID-19 related entry regulations.

And then youā€™re going to need to worry about requirements in the different airports. For instance, Singapore (link) apparently doesnā€™t require transit passengers to take a test.

2 Likes

I can confirm that this is accurate, providing the final destination does not require a test.

Guy

1 Like