COVID Work From Home Setups

On Saturday we were told to go into the office and grab our monitors so we can work from home for at least the next two weeks. This is my setup on the kitchen table. Still need to get a wireless keyboard I think. I have three operating systems on the go here, Mac OS, Linux Mint and Windows 10 through AWS WorkSpaces. If you are working from home, post yours too :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I told my boss about this WFH but she doesn’t want it she want to see my face everyday :mask:

She’s all set!

5 Likes

You must have a genius on your hands to have someone teaching at that age.

3 Likes

Sounds messy…

2 Likes

She’s mining ETH

3 Likes

Not all all. Think of it as three different levels of security. Obviously Linux Mint is the most secure, and I have it set up as a fresh install on every reboot. I use it for things that require the highest level of security. Mac OS is relatively secure, and I use it for the majority of tasks that involve my personal accounts. Windows is a security and privacy nightmare but I need it for work.

3 Likes

I think of that as three levels of headache xD

2 Likes

My set up will be my work laptop which I will go and get tonight.

Probably run it through my ProArt monitor.

My set up:

4 Likes

I can work from home. Getting jobs may be a different matter however.

1 Like

My miserable setup just makes working from home more inefficient.
(battery died last week for an extra layer of spice to this pandemic)
I’m looking for a new computer though.

6 Likes

I’m selling a ThinkPad x240 for $5500 if you are interested.

1 Like

Thank you! I saw your thread but an i5 with 8G RAM is what I already have. :frowning:
I’m looking for a laptop with higher (or expandable RAM). I have a powerful PC at the office to process my data, so I didn’t feel the need to update my laptop before level 3.

Do you game?

No, it’s for analyzing video data and generating plots in Matlab. The data is quite heavy, so my laptop freezes when performing certain operations. (even when just running the Matlab script, without the GI)

Well. Most high performance laptops have a dedicated GPU for gaming. If you’re looking for a laptop that can do it all, I’d look at the new 2021 Zephyrus G14 or G15 laptops. They’re not overly gamery but they come with an 8 core CPU and dedicated GPU if your maths uses a dGPU.

Or, if you only do your work at home, I can recommend a miniPC setup that is inexpensive and high performance that I also built for @GooseEgg

1 Like

Thank you for all your great tips! I really appreciate it :smiley:
I’ve been also looking at PCs, but I think my final decision relies on how much this outbreak will last. If we return to Level 2 in less than 2 months it is more convenient for me to buy a laptop, because I can use it when I have to give a presentation or when in-person classes return (I’m a grad student). If it lasts more than that, I’d rather have a powerful PC, so I don’t fall behind on my research.

Similarly, I have a used small form factor desktop PC that is also inexpensive and fast that I could offload as well. Do you have a budget?

Around 20,000NTD (I’m a student :sweat_smile:)