Covington Catholic High School incident

Is this reformed Islam?

I bet Reza is an atheist. He probably claims to be a Muslim because it’s “cool.” A lot of the diaspora Iranians I know in California are atheists, although they don’t like to admit it in public.

Wow. Really?

Seriously, that was fucked up. I think I’d become a Lutheran

Maybe people now will learn to step back a bit and not jump to ridiculous conclusions and make outrageous denunciations of people on slim to no evidence.

Ha ha! Just kidding!

3 Likes

I’ve met many Iranians that are atheists but won’t say it in public for many reasons like backlash and they still follow their family traditions.

But for. Guy that’s all about Islamic reformation and telling people they’re pieces of shit. He’s up there.

He seems like a pretty smart guy to me. I think he’s just in it for the controversy. His main sin is probably being a narcissist.

Sort of. I mean, I know what the media is but, honestly, until I few years ago I probably believed they ‘mostly’ tried to report ‘facts’.

This incident bothered me more than most. It wasn’t trying to take down a politician or a person of influence - it was some random kid who behaved in precisely the manner that I would have advised him to behave in such a situation. Keep quiet. Don’t get physical unless you are protecting yourself. Don’t let your friends do anything stupid. Listen to your teachers and leave when they ask you to. For that, he deserved to go down?

1 Like

I don’t question his intelligence. I do agree with him most times and he’s usually pretty logical. But there’s been often where I just questioned what he’s doing, and even how honest he is about reforming Islam. Like how he has basically ignored that there has been other people and groups that wants a very similar version. (Forgot the names) but the reason why I can’t think it off the top of my head and people haven’t heard of is because they got wiped out. The other side of reforming is like Saudi and isis. Seems to skip his mind how terrible it was for many for even the Christian protestant reformation.

I think this reflects a basic contradiction in his progressive logic. On the one hand, he believes in cultural relativism…all cultures are equal, and it’s bigoted to demand that others change their cultural and religious practices. On the other hand, as a progressive, he can’t endorse things like stoning of gays, FGM, honor killings, etc. There’s really no resolution to this contradiction, so he comes off as a bit schizophrenic.

5 Likes

If my kids went on a Catholic school trip representing a cause, and then did tomahawk chops and dances across from an indigenous people rally, bought MAGA hats, and then acted all smirky when a native elder came over to drum and dance and pray, I’d figure the reaction was about justified (not doxing, but all the other tsk-tsking and shaming). Still hoping the school deals with them, and I can’t see the Catholic church approving of this…

Native American dude seemed like an asshole to me. I don’t care what color you are or what peaceful “energy” you are trying to emit. (I know enough hippies who try to act all “good” and “enlightened, man” when in reality they are kind of douche bags. )

This guy walked straight up to a dude fully expecting him to step aside. That’s like textbook level douchebaggery.

Good on the kid.
And to the people saying “well, he should have at least just stepped aside.”

No, actually, he shouldn’t have.

3 Likes

Omg his face made a expression.

Have you never been a teenager? We went 100000x more crazy on our school trips lol.

What exactly would the Catholic Church be opposed to?

And people need to remember…many atheists and other religious beliefs are in religious schools. You have no idea if they’re even catholic.

Not sure why you linked to that Slate article. It’s a steaming pile of horse manure.

So when someone walks right up in your face and starts banging on a drum, not stepping backward is some kind of provocation?

Ah, here we get to the core of the matter. Being a Trump supporter is the real provocation. Because who, but a racist or white supremacist or whatever the accusation du jour happens to be is, would have the temerity to support the duly elected president? The kid should get some kind of medal for standing his ground against that aggressive, lying crybully.

4 Likes

From the good ole Huffington Post (2 hours ago, jesus):

They are essentially doubling down and putting it on the kids and parents for starting it by wearing the dreadful MAGA hats.

Some great quotes from it:

But it is also true that your students mocked an elderly Vietnam veteran while the supervising adults allowed them to represent your school wearing MAGA hats.

As it is, the image of young men protesting against women’s reproductive rights, coupled with their MAGA mobbing of an elderly Native American man, only looks like young men wanting to dominate people who have historically had less power.

This is your moment to teach boys that the right to express themselves is not as important as treating all people with respect, that political disagreement does not give them the right to disparage and ridicule others.

Go to Mr. Phillips and apologize on the boys’ behalf.

Covington has an overwhelmingly or entirely white faculty, you are sending a powerful message to your students about who deserves respect and who doesn’t.

Feel like I’m living on a different planet at this point.

4 Likes

More like a different dimension. :hushed:

1 Like

They were on a pro-life march, so would be surprised if they weren’t Catholic, but who knows… Not exactly a credit to the pro-life movement.

Why are they not ?

1 Like

Well now we know the video was out of context and it’s just a kid. That didn’t need to be on cnn’s first page and in every newspaper around the world right…

Because Catholics are the only ones pro life. And that kids actually go on school trips for fully for intended purposes. Sounds like a trip with my friends and a excuse to skip school to me.

And wouldn’t the trump administration be more pro life?

What exactly is the issue and what would the Catholic Church be opposed to?

1 Like

i think you need to retract your analysis, as the Internet is pretty much on the side of the high schoolers now.