Cowon iaudio X5L and some other questions

Has anyone seen these anywhere in Taipei. I am interested in buying one but can’t find it. I suppose I could buy it online but then I worry about support if something goes wrong with it.

One more question, can you load copy protected CD’s into your digital music player? So far I have refused to buy copy protected CD’s but there is some stuff that I would like to buy.

If I end up having to buy an Apple, can you convert any music format into the apple music format using iTunes?

If anyone can answer these questions I would be grateful.

Thanks

Sorry. I don’t know. I haven’t seen it either.

Of my 200 or so CDs, only one has refused to load on my computer. I have yet to find a way to rip it. It a best of the Fun Loving Criminals CD (Can’t remember the exact title).

More or less, yes. CDs can be ripped to Apple’s format or MP3 very easily (the default on iTunes is Apple’s format, of course). You just put the CD in your drive, open iTunes (if it doesn’t open automatically), and hit the record button.

Hope this helps,
Stu

When I wrote copy protected CDs I’m talking about the ones that were made so that they could not be copied. I think the correct terminology is copy controlled. I know that regular CDs can be ripped without any problems but am wondering about these copy controlled ones.

So if I have music in MP3 format or one of the others (i.e. OGG, FLAC)already on my computer I can just convert them into the Apple one?

I’m just trying to clarify my post to make sure we’re talking about the same thing.

Anyway, thanks for all your help. I would much prefer the Cowon audio player but if I can’t find it I guess I’m stuck with the ipod.

MP3 no problem, OGG Vorbis and FLAC will need some other software, but I’m sure it can’t be hard to find.

I was also meaning the copy protected CDs by the way. I think the only one I have is that Fun Loving Criminals one.

iTunes uses AAC, the format invented by Dolby. Many players are starting to support it.

iTunes will play mp3, aac, wav, and aiff. There’s no need to convert if you have files in mp3 or aac. Lossless compression like FLAC or Apple Lossless is nice if you want lossless quality.

With FLAC files, I convert them to WAV and then to AAC or Apple Lossless within iTunes. foobar2000 on Windows or xACT on the mac can do that.

Hold on a minute there gary. Though I agree with almost everything you say there, be careful what you say about AAC.

There’s raw AAC, which some players support, and there’s Apple’s version of AAC, which is m4a (unprotected) and m4p (protected). This is AAC wrapped up in a nice little mpeg4 bundle.

Anyone who sees players advertised as being able to play AAC, be warned.

:slight_smile: i wasn’t really talking about DRM protected AAC files from the music store or Apple Lossless. Those will only play in iTunes and the iPod. That’s cool with me.

AAC itself is becoming more supported. I haven’t kept up on it much; people say it’ll eventually replace mp3.

[quote=“gary”]:slight_smile: I wasn’t really talking about DRM protected AAC files from the music store or Apple Lossless. Those will only play in iTunes and the iPod. That’s cool with me.

AAC itself is becoming more supported. I haven’t kept up on it much; people say it’ll eventually replace mp3.[/quote]

No probs, and I’m glad to see you don’t take offence to what I said. I think that even the unprotected apple lossy format (m4a, but listed in iTunes as AAC) is still only playable on iTunes and the iPod though. I’m willing to be corrected though.