CPA Taiwan

Hi just wanted to ask if anyone knows the requirement for working in an audit firm in taiwan, im a licensed CPA in the Phil. and will be moving to taiwan, does anyone know if i have to take a licensure exam in taiwan to work as an auditor in one of the big 4 firms there?

This is my Taiwan CPA. He may have an answer for you and maybe job openings.

Give him a shout I guess?

Much appreciated, ive looked up their website and its pretty easy to navigate, i like how they have email contacts there, i’ll try applying there once ive finished my language study in ncku. Thanks a lot.

1 Like

I think they would appreciate having more English speakers on their team as well to get that sweet sweet foreign investor pie.

1 Like

Unless you plan to be an assurance partner and want to sign off on financial statements, you don’t really need a local license. With your experience, perhaps try one of the larger accounting firms that have clients listed in the US and need to comply with SOX requirements.

If you do plan on taking the Taiwan CPA exams, it will be in Mandarin though with the new regulations, you can provide your answers in English.

It will be fairly difficult though as you need a thorough understanding of Taiwanese tax regulations, company act etc.

Thanks this really helps a lot, i have a 2 year working experience in the field of assurance here in the Phil. and i plan to move to Taiwan and study chinese language so i was thinking of continuing my profession there as well.

In Taiwan, tax and financial audits are typically performed together so it may be difficult for you as a foreigner to have a good understanding of the procedures required… plus, most multinationals here hire local staff so while the documentation may be in English, interviews with the client will almost always be in Mandarin.

That being said there are a lot of accounting firms that do hire foreign staff, both in assurance (to deal with international engagements where English work papers are required or clients that use IFRS, US GAAP etc) and in other departments such as internal audit and transaction advisory where local regulations are not too much of an issue.

I hold a foreign CPA and I have worked in an accounting firm for almost 6 years now though not in audit. Never been pressured by anyone to get a local license.

Accounting expertise is fairly transferable so I don’t think you will have an issue getting a job here.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Is a US CMA enough to work in Taiwan as an accountant?