CPI SM250 & related banter

Sandman, IIMA, why are you selling your CPI 250?[/quote]
Its right there in the post. Waste of money. Got it before the kid was born and had no idea how little free time I would have. Plus, its difficult to carry bags of groceries and nappies while riding it. Plus, the kid has made me too aware of my own mortality. I’m taking the bus or the car to work and will buy an old scooter for shopping runs.

So I shouldn’t see that (STD bearings), I should see some sort of cover (condom bearings)?

So I shouldn’t see that (STD bearings), I should see some sort of cover (condom bearings)?[/quote]
I have no idea what, if anything, CPI have done to remedy this. The only 250SM I have seen had a setup like that in the photo. That is the bearing itself. You can perhaps see that surrounding the brown dust seal is a steel ring. That is the outer race of the bearing. Outside that is the hub itself, which is aluminum and IIRC painted silver. If they have modified the design to include an oil seal (dust seal) it will be black and cover the whole area between the spindle and the hub, completely hiding the bearing.
Just step outside and look at any random motorcycle or scooter’s front wheel to see what I mean. The only bike I have ever seen with an exposed bearing like this is the CPI.

Mine now has a rubber-covered bearing hub. Seems to work ok.

Maybe you can post a photo so TaFCoML knows what to look for?

This is what a typical bearing outer seal should look like. This type of arrangement offers good protection to the bearing dust cover and innards, and will eliminate the majority of water, dust and dirt containments. I know others prefer to use the term Supermoto or such to describe the CPI. I think this bike should be considered so only based on outward appearance. I personally don’t consider this bike to be of a standard fit for either racing or reliable long term road use as yet. There! I’ve said it! Now get about it and do your worst. I would perhaps compare this sort of bike to the Citroen of the bike world. Looks like it does the job, and sort of does for the money. Perhaps a good basis for some severe modification, minus the frame.

I’m going to the Mazu shrine in Dajia to launch some CPI EFI 400 prayers toward Dali City.

I think the term supermoto refers to the style of the bike, not necessarily the build quality or performance. From what I can gather, a supermoto is any dirt bike with road bike size wheels and tyres.

This is what Wikipedia says:

“The motorcycles used are frequently custom-created combinations of off-road motorcycles and road-racing rims/tires, known as ‘supermotard’ bikes.” The CPI isn’t custom created but neither are any other off the peg motards and nobody is disputing their claims to the name. If you think the CPI isn’t a supermoto because of it’s questionable build quality then you’re just nit picking.

If it’s not a supermoto, what is it, exactly? Since we’re on the cars and motorcycles forum we all know a bit more about bikes than the average Joe, so “motorcycle” doesn’t go far enough. In what terms would you describe a CPI if you had to use words alone? “It’s a bike that looks like a supermoto?”.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. In other countries the CPI would be shit. We live in Taiwan and here, it’s a bloody good bike.

It costs $109,000. It has 20hp. It can do wheelies and jumps. It has 6 gears and a clutch. It’s road legal in Taiwan. It’s easy to get parts for it.

It’s in a class of one. I have one and I love it. Also I’ve chosen to stop wasting my time dreaming about ridiculously priced bikes I can’t afford and use my time to ride.

Supermoto-styled bike. Or, bike with supermoto-styling. :smiley:

Dogma part 2???

Every vehicle model is in a class of one when it boils down to it. I think the critical nature of the discussion regarding the CPI revolves around a certain question regarding its purpose and build. Come users or posters will try to pin point the CPI’s advantages, such as its power output, or its price compared to other bikes with similar power outputs and such.
Other posters and posts such as my own will try to qualify its overall usefulness in a practical sense. I guess it should come down to drawing lists and making tables in effect and we should perhaps veer away from trying to draw an overall conclusion based on one or two aspects.

Price cannot be an advantage in itself. You cannot compare an apple to an orange and decide that one is better than the other simply because of its lower price, so for me price is not a factor.
Advantages and disadvantages over another commuter bike may be a factor.
Advantages and disadvantages over other competition designed bikes may be a factor.
Advantages and disadvantages regarding power output, fuel economy and such may be factors. The same goes for reliability, ease of service, typical longevity, cost and availability of components, location of service centres etc.

It is because of all of these factors that lead me as a potential buyer of a motorcycle which may offer performance as well as what I believe to be a reasonable reliability and usability, plus convenience and ease of use, to think of the CPI in a way which I have expressed.

In my opinion a CPI presently offers little or no advantages over other available bikes which are perhaps more specific in function and design.

Over my dead body.

Let’s say I bring a DRZ400S into the 'wan in parts. Part out a CPI already in the 'wan. Decals. You get the picture. How bad of a :no-no: :no-no: :no-no: is this? Could you keep a straight face at inspection? Is it any riskier than swapping out a Yammie or SymKym engine?

The test centers have a book of photos of bikes they use to compare. I think there are enough visual clues to ring the alarm bells. Once they look at the engine number your game is up. Maybe the big ‘SUZUKI’ cast into the engine covers would be noticed also… :wink:

Are you bringing the whole bike in parts and building it back here? What happens if the plates from a legal CPI just happen to be mounted on a Suzuki?

I’ve heard that a red envelope can magically solve these problems.

[color=#00BF00]edited by redwagon[/color]

Guys. I can not have you blatantly advising illegal activity here. :no-no: Please be at least a little subtle about what you’re suggesting. Please edit your comments before I have to do it for you. Them’s the rules.

The cops do have a bit of a hard on for big bikes, and they generally know where to look for the engine numbers. If you are stopped while riding a bike with the plates of another, they can check that simply by looking at the engine number. They don’t need the blue card for this, they have it in their database. They can and will ask you to hand over the license plate on the spot if it’s on the wrong bike. They could write you a ticket for riding an unlicensed motorcycle. It could get expensive quite quickly. The days of illegal bikes and turn a blind eye are over.

[/quote]

OK, next time i will remember to word it correctly

Suggesting illegal stuff. … Nice way to help you friends/brother. I guess Karma is not important to you?..

The “build a bike” route used to be common in the 'wan 20 to 30 years ago, in the South, even 10 years ago. Redwagon’s update is what I was looking for. That game is over.