CPI SM250 & related banter

Yeah I removed the stickers, does that count?

shop mods:
carbon slip on, cvk36, air box mod, brake master/lever, f/r calipers, rear brake master lever mod, fork brace, re-geared, gears spaces out (for wider tire), chain, tires, grips, oil cooler, license plate hanger

warranted replacements:
speedo cable: went from old style to new, new one has not been a problem. old style, went through a few and they all failed
starter relay: old one ā€œstuckā€ quite often, replaced with a new one

Nice modsā€¦ sounds like about NTD 45K. Am I close?

I have no idea what the final number was, I had the work done in stages during oil changes.

Tdp you fiend, youā€™re making me wish I had some cash lying around to put into my bike :sunglasses:

Yeah Jaame, it would be nice of them. It was strange that they seemed almost surprised that something had gone wrong. Though in all fairness, I did approach the issue trusting my mechanic a little too much - something I realised after having to pick it up three times (1st time: fairings missing, 2nd time: heat shields near engine and right footrest/brake pedal missing, 3rd time: left radiator cover missing [there only ever was one a certain mechanic there insisted] and one engine screw-in cap [the smaller one, not the bigger oil one] broken). Guess Iā€™m trying a new mechanic after I get those last two items back.

This final fiasco did make me really wonder whether Ducked was right about the oil filter not having been cleaned. Either way, donā€™t think Iā€™ll trust CPI or the big bike store in Zhongli again. Pity

[quote=ā€œTaFCoMLā€]
This final fiasco did make me really wonder whether Ducked was right about the oil filter not having been cleaned. Either way, donā€™t think Iā€™ll trust CPI or the big bike store in Zhongli again. Pity[/quote]

I donā€™t really have a firm opinion on that, though I think itā€™s quite likely, and quite likely to explain your cam damage.

OTOH I donā€™t think its a very likely explaination of your reported symptoms.

Iā€™d bet those are down to CPI build quality.

Have you considered yourself as a mechanic? You always know who to blame then, though thatā€™s not always comfortable.

Hello guys,

Iā€™m a newbie and I just bought a second hand CPI 250sm. Iā€™m not sure if it is normal but the bike gets really hot after just few kilometers. I can feel the heat between my legs and especially when I stop at the traffic light and waiting 1 minute or so, the heat is REALLY massive and uncomfortable. Is it normal with this kind of bike or somethingā€™s wrong with my bike?

Filippo

[quote=ā€œperafelixā€]Hello guys,

Iā€™m a newbie and I just bought a second hand CPI 250sm. Iā€™m not sure if it is normal but the bike gets really hot after just few kilometers. I can feel the heat between my legs and especially when I stop at the traffic light and waiting 1 minute or so, the heat is REALLY massive and uncomfortable. Is it normal with this kind of bike or somethingā€™s wrong with my bike?

Filippo[/quote]

I own a CPI and mine doesnā€™t get that hot. Is it overheating? Sounds like a problem.

I donā€™t see any alarm on the panel but yes, it seems like overheating. At the traffic light it was so hot that i felt my jeans like burning. What might be the cause? Is there any way to fix it? The fan is working properly though

Filippo

Check your coolant, get the oil changed and make sure they clean out the oil filter.

I was down at the local Kwak dealer and they are now selling the CPI and claiming all the bugs are worked out of it.

I seriously need a new set of wheels, as getting 12-15mpg in my Tundra is killing me.

I have no intention of re-reading 91 pages of threadā€¦So Iā€™ll ask the inevitable stupid question:

Should I consider this bike?

[quote=ā€œMJBā€]I was down at the local Kwak dealer and they are now selling the CPI and claiming all the bugs are worked out of it.

I seriously need a new set of wheels, as getting 12-15mpg in my Tundra is killing me.

I have no intention of re-reading 91 pages of threadā€¦So Iā€™ll ask the inevitable stupid question:

Should I consider this bike?[/quote]

MJB, I would be more than happy to let your borrow my CPI. I love the bike, but I have a lot of mods on it, and i donā€™t ride it very oftenā€¦but when I do I have a blast. If I ride it for more than 2 hours or so my ass starts to get sore. I have 20,000km on my bike and before I owned it the last owner raced it. I take care of it, but I donā€™t baby it at all. I am always on the throttle or braking hard. It has never had any engine or tranny problems. I have only had to replace my carb (and I upgraded it of course, and I have had to replace the electric speedo unit.) I did also have an engine oil leak for a while, but I got it fixed. My oil filter cap on the engine case broke and was leaking a bit. My bike is a first gen, and apparently they have the most problems. I havenā€™t seen any yet, but maybe they are coming. The parts are easy to find and are not too expensive. What I love about it is the torque. Man it is so much fun to ride in the mountains or in traffic. It is really light too. Anyway, I live 20 min away from you. You can take my bike for a weekend. I seriously donā€™t mind. I am sure if anything happened to it, you would take care of it. :slight_smile:

Let me know!

[quote=ā€œMJBā€]I was down at the local Kwak dealer and they are now selling the CPI and claiming all the bugs are worked out of it.
I have no intention of re-reading 91 pages of threadā€¦[/quote]
how about just the last 10 pages? Youā€™ll see that each and every one of my posts is a ode to joy.
(FYI - I do not ride it in traffic - I only go to the mountains and back and do have the audacity to say that i do ride it fast)
Like I said before; the CPI is like a rental go kart; itā€™s basicly slow (compared to a yellow/red plate) and the quality is soso; but boy, are they fun!

As a consense; they are more then fast enough if you pick a windy road. Just use the money you save from not buying a red plate for tires, brakes and some mods.
Also, Iā€™ld get a used one - fi Jaameā€™s bike never let him down and I know heā€™ll regret it once heā€™ll finally sold it.

Iā€™ve had mine a year and put 5000 km on it, mostly mountain miles and over 100 kph when I hit a straight spot. Bought it new. I have other modes of transportation but I prefer to ride the CPI. When I do ride it in the city the extra power over the scooters plus the higher seat height make it easy to get around with.

Only issues have been minor: faulty speedo cable and failed starter relay. The faulty speedo cable seems to be an issue they worked out with the newest model; they put a 90 degree bend at the end of the cable where it mounts on the lower fork.

If you like to ride it is a fun bike - but it is not perfect. If you just want to stretch your petroleum dollars a Sym/Kymco/Yamaha scooter might be a better bet.

Soā€¦ the 2012 CPI 250s have a frame upgrade? Does anyone have any details?

Below is a Q/A on a Ruten listing with a Taichung CPI dealer.

問锌 1

a8f***
ē‚ŗ何ęƔ前äø€ę¬¾č²“?

(2011-11-1423:34:43)

ē­”覆ļ¼š
你儽ļ¼šå› ē‚ŗꖰē‰ˆēš„cpc內éƒØč·Ÿå¤–č§€ ē“°éƒØ č·Ÿå¾¹ęž¶éƒ½ęœ‰å‡ē“šļ¼Œę‰€ä»„ꉍęƔ之前ēš„č²“äø€é»ž,č¬č¬ć€‚

(2011-11-1514:54:25)

HEllo,

i just bought a second hand CPI and i was not given any manual, do you have it? I would like to know the information about maintenance: how often to change the chain, what type of oil to use, and so onā€¦

Trying my best not to upset anyone here, and acting in full disclosure (Iā€™ve never owned one), I would dare say from what Iā€™ve read, what Iā€™ve heard, and from what Iā€™ve seen as far as engineering on the CPI; that the CPI shouldnā€™t be considered.
I donā€™t doubt that some people appreciate them for whatever reason, but from the little I have read and heard from MJB, he seems to prefer relatively trouble free vehicles that donā€™t require hassle and road side diagnostics.

Also, if anyone has neck or back injuries, I wouldnā€™t generally advise riding a motorcycle. I do on occasion, but I found that I have almost no issues at all if I stay away from my old motorcycle. I used to have many more issues during my daily riding commute.
Having a skinny G-string seat doesnā€™t help oneā€™s posture at all and offers minimal shock absorbance. The CPI may make up for that slightly through its tall dampers however, and this may or not be confirmed by some of itsā€™ longer term riders.
Still I do like a nice fat seat on my motorcycle. I find that Iā€™m not squirming around as much on a bike with a comfy seat. Squirming causes the angle of my back and neck to shoot off in all sorts of directions.
Do any of you CPI owners complain of stiff neck or back issues from riding?

[quote=ā€œsulavacaā€]
Do any of you CPI owners complain of stiff neck or back issues from riding?[/quote]
no.
I cracked 2x 3 vertabrae in my back with MTB crashes and do have some issues if I sit on a chair to long. However not when moving.
When I did longer rides on the CPI (sitting stationairy), I found the seat too soft and sitting through it which made my ass hurt. (Iā€™m ~86kg in full gear and simple restuffing would have cured that) Nowadays however, I only use it on twisty roads, so never even have a chance to sit in the same position longer then a couple of minutes at most.

Only things that hurt sometimes from consistently grinding through the gearbox would be left ankle and fingers. That 'ld be the case on any other bike however :smiley:

[quote=ā€œsulavacaā€][quote=ā€œMJBā€]I was down at the local Kwak dealer and they are now selling the CPI and claiming all the bugs are worked out of it.

[/quote]

But you donā€™t own one. So you donā€™t know. Like I said I have a first gen CPI. 20k on the odometer and trouble free. The CPI is such a great bike to ride. I have heard about transmission failures, ectā€¦but yet to experience them. I know a lot of Taiwanese riders that own these bikes as well and have no issues. They are just as good as any other small cc bike. I have owned so many bikes here. I will tell you my stock Honda NSR 150cc gave me the most problems out of any motorcycle I have ever owned. It was way more unreliable than my CPI. My CPI has never left me stranded. My Yamaha 100cc RSZ has had more problems than my CPI.

Also as for the engine, it might be a little shit. They are made in China. True fact though, just a month ago a Taiwanese guy built a race bike. He used a Chinese frame, a CPI engine, and all there parts like suspension and wheels he found here in Taiwan. He just broke the track record on it during the last race. He is the fasted bike on the Longtan race track now. He runs in my racing class as well. A 250cc CPI engine!!! He is running faster than the 1000cc bikes. So that has to stand for something. Iā€™m sure he has build the shit out of that engine, but it is still a 250cc.

These bikes are great bikes for the price. They are so much fun to ride too. They have a great torque range to give you that extra grunt to get around a cars, ect.

To be fair, I have heard of guys having problems, but almost everything I have heard is crap from foreigners. I have yet to personally meet anyone with major problems. I am really involved in the local racing scene here and none of those other Taiwanese guys that have CPIā€™s have any problems.

Also, riding the CPI doesnā€™t hurt my back, but my ass gets sore after riding for over 2 hours.