CPI SM250 & related banter

Ha… Maunaloa I probably would once I did… hmm… what shop does RK use???

Johnledoe… I was pretty pissed… I didn’t take it as a good sign… if you’re giving back a bike with scrapes like that on the engine case 'cause you weren’t careful enough with it… what does that say about how careful their work is on the engine’s internals? Dude was offering to bore my out to 300cc and do everything else needed to my bike for 30 000… after the hassle I had with my brakes… then seeing what he did to my engine case… I just thought - no way am I going to let this guy touch it.

Oh - and thanks guys for posting a reply so fast!

So back to the original post…

Still hunting for a “good” mechanic in Taipei City to do work on my bike… Anyone???

IIRC, it’s mentioned in this thread. RK may happen by…

CSRT! The boss will have no problem fixing your CPI. He is located in Yingge close to the train station. It is a hard shop to find though.

http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=76384&hilit=csrt

I gather from my CPI dealer that there is a faulty batch of frames which are cracking around the top tube (at the back of the gusset that joins the top tube and down tube to the head tube). It seems they are wiling to change that for free even if the bike is out of warranty.

To check if your bike has this problem, remove the petrol tank and inspect the frame.

Does any one have an idea of the wattage of the alternator on the new CPI?

I wish Dec was always like this!

BTW; met a test pilot on a duct taped (BIG) SYM and chinese licence plates (?)on #3; doing 140km/h… nonstop - even in the corners. :smiley:

I would love to sport those graphics on mine, but my wife would crack the shits bigtime!

What’s that red light on in your dash? It turned out that the “computer” on mine was faulty, working intermittently, hence the warning lights are not working as they should. Not cool.

[quote=“jaame”]
What’s that red light on in your dash? [/quote]

= oil change is due…

Hello, my oil alarm turned red just today; do you guys know how to reset it and switch it off? Also: how often i should change the oil of my CPI?

I haven’t done it in a while, but you have that little black button right on the handle bar? The one that you can toggle through the time, kilometers, ect. Try holding that button down until the light goes of when the engine kilometers are showing on the speedo. I am positive you go this when the kilometers are showing, but if I am wrong for some reason try holding it down in every setting. It should go off after holding the button down for a few seconds. I get my oil changed on my CPI every 800-1000 kilometers.

That’s it RK. Put it in ODO and or TOD or whatever it is, and hold it down until the light goes off. Could be ten seconds. Make sure you do your oil changes and get receipts in case something goes wrong!

Thanks guys,; how come the oil has to be changed so often?In other bikes it has to be changed every 6000-8000 kilometers

Actually that is a good question. Well the engineers that designed these bikes or any other small cc bikes 250cc or under all recommend oil changes about every 800-1000 kilometers. There are probably a number of reasons why they need oil changes more often than lets say a 600-1000cc motorcycle. These small cc bikes don’t have a lot of oil in the engine in the first place, some have less than a liter. I forget what the CPI holds, but I don’t think more than a liter to be honest. So that oil will get dirty a lot faster compared to a larger engine. Also, most small cc bikes don’t have oil filters. Most scooters don’t have them at all. Our CPI’s do have them, but they are small, and nothing compared to a 600cc oil filter. I also suspect that the oil in most small cc bikes will get a lot hotter than other motorcycles, especially the air cooled bikes. CPI’s are water cooled, but I still think the engine gets really hot. So, I guess the engine oil just wears out faster with smaller cc bikes. I’m making some educated guesses here though. I actually don’t know 100 percent.

Also, all the driving here is stop and go. How often are you riding for long periods of time at 40-60 mph? Not that often. Stop and go riding is brutal on these engines. So you need to change the oil at more.

The CPI holds between 1600 and 1800ml of oil. The first couple of changes I did when I got mine they put 1800ml in, and ever after that 1600 (but still charged me for 2 bottles!)

I think if you set the clocks to read in miles instead of kms it would go red after 1000 miles, not 621, but I haven’t tried it. My old boy says CVT scooters have a “PVR gear” that exerts serious amounts of shear loading on the oil, and that, coupled with the lack of an oil filter makes scooter oil wear out quickly. That and it’s shit oil they put in. He reckons it’s not necessary to change it that often, but CPI disagree.

Anyway why I really logged in. Long story short, I just got my CPI back from the dealer this arvo. It’s got a new frame, new engine from the crankshaft up, new cooling fan, new instrument panel. Odometer now reading 7km. I want to part ways with it, so if you know anyone who is looking to buy one that’s half new and well looked after, point them in my direction.

[quote=“rk1951”][quote=“perafelix”]
Also, all the driving here is stop and go. How often are you riding for long periods of time at 40-60 mph? [/quote][/quote]

My rides are ~40 mph average because I avoid the stop and go’s. (in traffic I prefere cycling) Maybe that’s why my CPI’s still healthy (knock on wood).

Does anyone has a vague clue on the weight of the engine itself (or something similar)?
Sir Thanksalot, pk!

Hey jaame, if you still have it in a couple weeks I’m interested, as I’m waiting on some bonus $. Also, has anyone here had luck fitting a stash-tube or some sort of small compartment to their 250? I have one on my harley back in the states I keep a wrench and knife in, because its pretty small. Simple aluminum tube clamped onto my frame. Since I’d prefer a cpi 250 over a scooter I’m trying to figure out how to stash a lightweight rain poncho on the bike, seeing how much it rains here. Any pointers?

This is my version of small compartment :sunglasses:

ha, you could certainly stash quite a bit of stuff in that compartment! Dig the army green btw. Custom paint or ordered plastics?

Painted my-self. After attached additional support braces to subframe have no problem to carry 25L canister and a passenger