CPI SM250 & related banter

It’s a sad day for the CPI community…my bike is sold. To all those CPI haters out there, I had my bike for 3 years and it never had a problem. It is a great bike for the money. No regrets. I’m sad to see it go, but I just wasn’t riding it enough and it needed a new home.[/quote]

In ten years here I’ve never once owned a bike that wasn’t fundamentally a cheap piece of crap held together with twigs and string, and I’m certainly not going to start now!

(The Sym Wolf I’ve been puttering around on involves a literal piece of string – if you untie it, the saddle-boxes swing into the rear wheel and everyone dies!)

Hey guys… any CPI owner can tell me the average mileage of his machine? I’m considering to get myself one (as a cheaper 250cc alternative to my TU) and I’d like to hear about its oil consumption… thanks!

Mine normally does about 160km on a tank, 7 litres. Sometimes 180. It could push 200 on the full 8 litres if it was steady riding I reckon.

Thanks jaame, it’s always good to have some reference.

BTW, last Friday I just got my third bike… a CPI. So far I like and hate it. It’s fun but it’s crap. I think that what I say it’s not very original, though. I’m considering seriously to enjoy it for a while and then sell it and stick to the TU, because the latter can actually brake down, the front tyre doesn’t wobble when cornering at any speed, and because I have the feeling that even though this CPI is not the very first generation (no bold letters within the circle), the tranny is not as solid as it should be. Also the ridding style is totally different from what I’m used to. Plus I’m kinda short (1,735999999 mt).

But yes, it is fun, and enjoyable. And cheap. And any parts should be available.

Hey anyone’s up for a ride on the weekend on the route 7-Yilan-route 9-Taipei?

May be I could be up to it. I mean, I always ride on weekends, but I might also dedicate one day to ride without the purpose of going to somewhere to do something else. Problem is that I don’t feel 100% safe with this ridding posture and this shit of front brake (rear brake is OK, because it’s the new version, two cylinders).

currently…

apparantly the timing chain tensioner broke and triggered to damage almost everything else inside… The weird thing is that we found out by coincidence; no compression loss, no change of sound, running like a charm… Oh well, I guess it’s an open invitation to a big bore kit.

@Jesus;
*your size sounds perfect; I’m 1,78 and I feel it’s rather small for me. RK is like 1,55 :smiley: and still had his knee down.
*mileage is weird on mine; I could only do 120k (including reserve!) at first. Then after changing exhaust and some other parts AND riding faster then before; I could sometimes squeeze 160-170 out of it… no clue why!

Well…let me know. But anyway I never go that fast and…yes you have to change the front brake ABSOLUTELY!! My mileage is around 160 km with the full tank

[quote=“pommes king”]
@Jesus;
*your size sounds perfect; I’m 1,78 and I feel it’s rather small for me. RK is like 1,55 :smiley: and still had his knee down.
*mileage is weird on mine; I could only do 120k (including reserve!) at first. Then after changing exhaust and some other parts AND riding faster then before; I could sometimes squeeze 160-170 out of it… no clue why![/quote]

Not really, I’m about the same size than RK, but I don’t think I’ll ever put the knee down… or not with this bike! BTW: the previous owner changed the seat and put something with some extra padding that makes the bike really high…

I’ve a question related with the front brake. I don’t want to change the caliper and the lever at the same time, but one and then another, so that I can see the effect of each change. I know that even to change the lever makes a difference, and I guess that it’s a cheap change… but… which change makes more sense to make it first? the caliper? the lever?

And… how about this?

goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21206189253818

It’s only 2800, while most of the calipers of the same brand posted on ruten are 800 bucks more.

Well, I’m no brake expert, but I’m going to put out my thoughts out on making a lever change and making a caliper change.

When you change the lever, you change how your hand activates the master brake cylinder, which in turn activates the caliper.
Changing the lever can change how the master brake cylinder responds, and in turn how the caliper works, but it should not be
a huge change, especially if the caliper is not very good. Basically, the new lever may be able to apply more force to the master
brake cylinder faster than what you are used to, but it won’t mean much if the caliper isn’t very good.

Now, if you change the caliper, you’ll notice a huge change if your old caliper wasn’t doing the job properly. So, if you change
nothing but the caliper, you should notice a huge improvement in braking power. If you change the lever at the same time, at
first you may find that your brake works “too good”, and you will have to adjust your braking style to fit the new setup.

However, it may not be the caliper that is the problem, but the master brake cylinder. The master brake cylinder is more prone
to developing problems that make the brake system not perform as well as it should.

Basically there are 2 things that you really should be looking at, the O-rings of your master brake cylinder and the O-rings on
your caliper. Both are known to fail, but they fail more often in the master brake cylinder.

I mention this because after changing your lever and caliper, you may not notice a great improvement in braking. If that is the
case, then you will have to look at your master brake cylinder.

Thanks for the explanation John… however, and just for making sure that we are on the same page… you’re also talking about the CPI SM, right? I mean, the front brake caliper is really small and has only one (perhaps a double) cylinder. I thought that from this to a 4 pistons frendo there must be a huge difference…

Now, what you say about the lever and the master cylinder makes much sense. Indeed, I never wanted to change ONLY the lever, but the master cylinder and perhaps the lever as well. I understand that the master cylinder is an important part, but I don’t really know about all the details.

So… you say that the stock caliper working properly is already good enough… as long as there’s no o-rings problems involved?

OK, now I understand a lot more. I didn’t read what you’d said before about riding the CPI and since I haven’t
rode that motorcycle, I don’t even know the basics of it. If the front caliper is really small like that, I would
change it if I felt it didn’t have the braking power that I think the motorcycle could handle. From what I
remember, the tires on the CPI are kind of small for a motorcycle of it’s size, so I’d be careful of getting a
caliper that’s too strong. You don’t want to find out the hard way if your motorcycle will pull an endo, or
if the front tire will slide if you brake too hard and lock the front tire. On my Grand Dink 250, my front tire
will slide because I have a 12" rim and my scooter is really heavy. As for changing the o-rings, I don’t think
you’ll find a shop that will do that for you. They’d rather sell you a new master brake cylinder or caliper.
One thing you should do anyways, because you don’t know when it’s been done, is to have the brake oil
changed on the front brake. If you watch them do the job, look in where they add the oil for the master
cylinder. If you see anything other than oil in there, like small bits of junk in there, it’s probable that the
master cylinder is slowly failing. I’ve seen that in my master cylinders for both brakes. The master cylinders
still work, but I know they don’t as well as they should.

So here’s the thing, what to change. If your master cylinder is OK, then you’re caliper should be OK too.
If you are unhappy with the braking power, then change the caliper. You mentioned you didn’t know if
your caliper has one or two pistons. If it only has one, it’s weak and get a better one. If you get a caliper
with 2 pistons, it should be fine. If you get one with 4 pistons, you’ll really have more braking power.
You don’t need one with 8 pistons, that’s overkill.

Everything I mentioned before is so you understand what could be the problem, and what you’d need to fix
it. With the master brake cylinder, if it doesn’t push the caliper hard enough (you could find that out by
comparing your motorcycle with another that’s the same), then replace it. If your caliper is leaking oil
behind the brake pads, replace it. Otherwise, they should be fine.

Now, as for your steering shaking when cornering at any speed, I don’t think that normal and it needs to be
fixed. You’ll need to have your steering column opened up and have the bearings looked at. The bearings
in the steering column are what I’ll say is an “open” bearing. As in you can access the steel balls in the
bearing, as opposed to a “sealed” bearing where you can’t. So you have your steering column opened up
and look as see if there are enough steel balls in both the top and bottom bearings. If it looks like an extra
ball or 2 or 3 could fit in there, then the bearing needs those extra balls. But don’t stop there, have the steel
balls removed, the grease cleaned up, and look at the bearing race. The bearing race is the metal that holds
the bearings in place. There are 2 bearing races at the bottom of the steering column and 2 at the top. You
look for any damage or wear marks in them. If there is, then the bearing race will need to be replaced.
This should fix your steering column shaking issues. I can’t say for sure, but my gut feeling is that you’re
missing a steel ball or 2, and that’s why you have shaking issues when cornering. My thinking is that when
your cornering and putting more stress on the steering column, there aren’t enough steel balls to hold it
steady. If you had a problem with your bearing race, you’d feel it when you turn the steering as it feels like
you hit a “notch”, or doesn’t turn as smoothly in one direction as it does the other, when turning your
steering, as in the steering doesn’t feel completely smooth going right to left or left to right.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope it gives you a better idea of what to do with your motorcycle.

Thanks again John for your long and exhaustive response :smiley:

Quick update: I got the front caliper upgraded to a second hand frando, and I do feel the difference. Now I don’t get scared every small incident that comes up in front of me. As other people said some time ago, it’s not perfect, but it’s better. I don’t know if I will change the next, if the master cylinder or the disc. I think that the latter is the crappiest one, so it would make more sense. However, I’d like to see how it behaves with a new and better set of pads.

So, when you got your caliper upgraded, did you stick around to watch them do the job? I ask, because when your caliper
was changed would have been the perfect time to take a look in your master cylinder for any junk in the brake oil. Little
black chunks would possibly tell you that the o-ring may be failing or wearing out. As for your disk, how worn does it
look? I’ll give you an example. My front disk is very worn, and looks very much like a record (yes, the black vinyl people
used to play music from) and it’s a little hard to remove my caliper from the disk because the outer rim of the disk is thicker
than the inner part of the disk. If it looks smooth and evenly thick from the outer to inner part of the disk where the brake
pads touch, the disk should be fine. Also, if you’re thinking of getting a larger disk, you’ll have to get a new mounting
bracket for your caliper, which may or may not be so easy to get. You may have to get a custom bracket made, if you do.

Master cylinder: couldn’t see anything in special.

Disc: it’s used, but still functional. The problem is that it’s weak and it’s got some fancy desing, may be for easing ventilation, but at expenses of contact surface.

If I upgrade the disc, I think that same radio but larger contact surface would be enough.

Just one more update: the front brake works perfectly. I do not need to change anything at all.

BUT some of the character lines started to disappear some time ago, and now you can hardly see anything. Is there any way of fixing it? how much is it to have it replaced? Anyone with a spare unit? :smiley:

Come on, nobody helps me with my new old CPI… so sad.

I’m going to share with you my first ride with the CPI. I added some comments on the video so I fashioned some sort of crappy review. I hope that at least is funny. If you don’t find it funny enough, then you will enjoy seeing how I get off the road because of a stupid mistake (I thought I took a different road), a pronounced slope with something slippery over it, and a front brake that just doesn’t do its job. I preferred to keep straight rather than to slide…

Here it goes:

Well, even though the thread seems to be dead, I put here an update. After having some issues with the rear brake, I think it’s time to have the bike upgraded with a Frando H-1. I’m sure that it’s going to be a way better than what I have right now.

I’m also considering to invest some money (not much) into a better rear shocks absorber. People seem to agree that normally that brings more stability and even performance. Mine is just too stiff, I think. Sometimes I lose grip for a while after a pothole, and I hope that something better would make me stick to the road…

I’m going to put my CPI in the classifieds now. I’ve only done 1300km on it this year. It’s cleaned up a treat. Have a look if interested, it’s had a stack of new parts this year. Me, I’m swapping to a Yamaha S-Max scooter because it can fit my wife and 2 kids on it. There’s no point having a shiny bike sitting on the driveway and going to work every day on a 16 year old POS scooter. I’m going to do without a motorbike for a few years until my kids are big enough to reach the back footpegs. When I can use it to commute, and only then, will it make sense to own a bike again.
The CPI has been fun but since I stopped commuting on it about three years ago it has just been collecting dust.
Cheers
Over and out