Cracking down on foreign riders without licenses

[quote=“UKbikerchic”]“Why should the laws of Taiwan only apply to the foreigners? They sure as shit don’t apply to the locals in most cases.”

Please give me a break, you know full well the rules apply to the locals, come on get off your horse…

[/quote]

I think that quote had a valid point. How many cops do you see picking up their kids on a police scooter, 5 to a bike, and kids with no helmet? Sort of thing I see every day. It’s those same cops that chase around after the foreign riders and not the locals. Don’t tell me that’s not true. I’ve seen it. I even know some of the kids of those cops.

The laws may apply to them too, but they sure as heck aren’t enforced. Least not where acearle is, and not where I am either.

As i said, it isn’t perfect here, but why shouldn’t they home in on the foreign riders, foreign riders have been laughing in their faces for years with the “huh! what?? no sorry no chinese!!” They are pissed off and rightly so.

I know for a fact that any foreigner going to England couldn’t get away with “Huh??Non Non Engleezeee non” Slap bang straight in the slammer.

All i’m saying is a lot of the foreigners play the “i don’t need to because i’m a foreigner” card, until it’s too late then it’s, “huh?? what do you mean i also have to pay a fine?” :astonished:

THings are changing. I have many police friends and i also know their side of things. I don’t believe there is an all out war on Foreigners, but they are definatly cracking down on them a bit more than they used to, and why not.

We can debate all the things that are wrong with Taiwan for hours on end (without time for a fag break), but as i always say, “If you’re not happy with the way things are here, then you can always go back to where it’s obviously much better.” :sunglasses:

Do you have the same attitude with locals who don’t have their papers in order when they’re stopped by pigs?

Excuse me :astonished:

If the locals don’t have thier papers in order then the “pigs” by which i think you’re refering to the police, will give them a ticket too.

I don’t think foriegners should be find unjustly, and i don’t think locals should get away with breaking the law either. I just don’t think it is right that foriegners believe they can get away with not having a licence just because they don’t speak the language. I’m sure they would have plenty to say about it if “foriegners” in thier home country tried and suceeded this same ploy.

[quote=“UKbikerchic”]Excuse me :astonished:

If the locals don’t have thier papers in order then the “pigs” by which I think you’re refering to the police, will give them a ticket too.

I don’t think foriegners should be find unjustly, and I don’t think locals should get away with breaking the law either. I just don’t think it is right that foriegners believe they can get away with not having a licence just because they don’t speak the language. I’m sure they would have plenty to say about it if “foriegners” in thier home country tried and suceeded this same ploy.[/quote]

You’re right of course. But, the problem is this is a country where traffic laws are a complete joke…and the pigs break the law more than anyone. I’d be very surprised if most police had valid licenses.
My roommate teaches adults and when he got his drivers license he showed it to them proudly and a couple of them were proud of the fact that they themselves didn’t have one…even though they drove very expensive cars.
I have a license and I agree that all foreigners should get one. But I feel that some people are taking the counter arguement in this thread because it’s laughable to treat Taiwan Law as if it’s something to be respected. Maybe if you had actual police enforcing the law instead of trash.

You should follow Taiwan Law because it creates less trouble for you. But respect it? Give me a break.

I agree, it’s hard to respect it when the locals make a total mockery of it.
Local joke:
Q: What do you call someone stopped at a red light?
A: Lao Wei.

Hey, take the test. It’s all a joke from inception to citiation.

Perhaps not, but they’ll happily sell you the policy anyway. I witnessed this just today.[/quote]

will they just sell you the policy and when you get into accident and they will say…it’s not stamped and won’t cover it?

If I buy a car or bike with expired ARC is that ok? ARC is for like they want to know I am legally here I guess?

[quote=“bobl”]I agree, it’s hard to respect it when the locals make a total mockery of it.
Local joke:
Q: What do you call someone stopped at a red light?
A: Lao Wei.[/quote]

Heh. I gotta use this one. :bravo:

When riding motorcycles here, I think it can actually be more dangerous to stop at red lights sometimes. There’s so many vehicles that run them, you could get killed from behind just for obeying the law!

But I still stop . . . I’m afraid my mom would somehow find out and yell at me. :blush:

Northern Indian roads are filled with lovely slogans such as;

Enjoy the valley, not the ralley.

Safety on the road is safe-Tea at home.

Be gentle on my curves.

(I can’t quite remeber it, something like) He’s driving. don’t bother him.

Maybe Taiwan could give it a try.

Or, traffic lights on orange say, ‘Just kidding, nearly.’
traffic lights on red, say,‘No, really!’ (You took a colour blindness test didn’t you?)

Or, big boom gates that just cut traffic off, with a big slogan; ‘Don’t lose your head in traffic!’

[quote]If you have an international driving permit from your respective country then you have absolutely no excuse not to get it stamped here.

I have an entitlement on my UK licence to drive vehicles up to 12 tons non articulated, but in Taiwan they stamped all the boxes and I can legally drive anything from a 50cc hairdryer to a coach or a semi articulated truck!! Not sure why.
[/quote]

We are arriving in Taiwan next month. Can anyone tell me how to get an international driving permit stamped? What does that actually mean? Do you have to have an ARC to get a taiwanese license? :help:

My husband has an entitlement to drive a 50cc moped on his car license, we both have provisional entitlement for 125cc. Any ideas what we can do for transport in Taichung? Thanks!

[quote=“angkang”]We are arriving in Taiwan next month. Can anyone tell me how to get an international driving permit stamped? What does that actually mean? Do you have to have an ARC to get a Taiwanese license? :help:

My husband has an entitlement to drive a 50cc moped on his car license, we both have provisional entitlement for 125cc. Any ideas what we can do for transport in Taichung? Thanks![/quote]Hi and welcome.

You can get the International Driving Permit stamped at a Department of Motor Vehicles office. You need to do that within one month of arrival, I think. The directions for the Taichung DMV are:
Go east along Chinhua (Jinhua) North Rd. Cross Chungde (Chengde) Rd. Later there’s a traditional market on your right. The intersection with Beitvn Rd. is just after this. Turn right onto Beitvn. Very shortly, you’ll see the DMV on your right. There’s a car park at the front, then some buildings. There’s a sign at the front, but not in English. It all looks quite official.

I’m sending you a private message with my cellphone number for if you need clarification of the directions.

Re 2-wheelers. I think your husband will be fine to ride a 50cc scooter on his IDP. He can check when he goes to the DMV. But I don’t think that yours and your husband’s provisional 125 entitlement will carry over. See what the DMV people say, but I think a car licence will only be OK for a 50.

By the way, I recommend that you also bring your home country driving licenses with you just in case.

Yes you need an ARC to take the Taiwan tests.

I’m a moderator of this forum. I’m going to move this post of yours over to a more relevant thread, but I’ll leave it here for a few days first to make sure you’ve seen this. (If you ever can’t find a post you’ve made, click on the “own posts” link at the top of the page, and it should be in there somewhere.)

can you give me the address for Kaohsiung? thanks a lot

I speak Turkish to them when they greet me with English. Hahaha, mostly works and my wife can’t believe i always get away. But i don’t do anything wrong. I have the license, i don’t drink and drive and don’t pass at red light (unless it is a red light on a tiny country side road with no traffic)