Cramp in my neck....for 5 days now...and still counting

On Saturday morning I truned my head to look at something and got a muscle spasm. It’s happend before so I didn’t think much of it.

It’s now Wednesday and although it was getting better each day…today it’s worse. I’m guessing it’s from my 30 min scooter ride home from work last night (On Monday and Tuesday I took my car…).

It’s pretty bad today…people are telling me to go to a doctor…but I’m pretty sure there aren’t any drugs for muscle spams…or pinched nerves…or whatever this is.

So just put some heat on it? Do I lie down…it seems worse in the mornings. Anything else I’m missing?

[quote=“Mordeth”]On Saturday morning I truned my head to look at something and got a muscle spasm. It’s happend before so I didn’t think much of it.

It’s now Wednesday and although it was getting better each day…today it’s worse. I’m guessing it’s from my 30 min scooter ride home from work last night (On Monday and Tuesday I took my car…).

It’s pretty bad today…people are telling me to go to a doctor…but I’m pretty sure there aren’t any drugs for muscle spams…or pinched nerves…or whatever this is.

So just put some heat on it? Do I lie down…it seems worse in the mornings. Anything else I’m missing?[/quote]

If it’s still bad in a few days, I’d go see Doctor Mark the american chiropractor as there are specific exercises and stretches that will help. If you’ve really pinched a nerve or torn a tendon it won’t heal propery on its own.

If there is any inflammation don’t use heat. Try cold and aspirin. One thing is not to stretch it out at first. In fact you should keep you head in the direction of the pinch (and not stretch in the opposite direction). This helps to relieve pressure on the muscles and tendons.

Have you changed your pillow recently? A pillow that your neck doesn’t like will really mess you up (just ask my neck).

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“Mordeth”]On Saturday morning I truned my head to look at something and got a muscle spasm. It’s happend before so I didn’t think much of it.

So just put some heat on it? Do I lie down…it seems worse in the mornings. Anything else I’m missing?[/quote]

If it’s still bad in a few days, I’d go see Doctor Mark the American chiropractor as there are specific exercises and stretches that will help. If you’ve really pinched a nerve or torn a tendon it won’t heal propery on its own.

If there is any inflammation don’t use heat. Try cold and aspirin. One thing is not to stretch it out at first. In fact you should keep you head in the direction of the pinch (and not stretch in the opposite direction). This helps to relieve pressure on the muscles and tendons.[/quote]

There is no swelling. I can push on any part of my neck without any (additional) pain from the pressure. But at present I am unable to look at my keyboard (typing skills…the best skill I ever learned at school). And the pain is enough to make me breathe very rapidly at present.

And pillow is the same…although I have a new sleeping partner which might alter my sleeping position.

You need to see someone. This is not going to go away. I had a similar problem years ago. Proper stretches and physio work wil cure it.

It was getting better. Pretty sure it was the cool air on my neck from the ride home yesterday that made it worse.

When I was a teenager I had a cramp like this that was so bad I woke up unable to move my head…AT ALL. That was scary. I started screaming.

I just remembered that alcohol is a muscle relaxent…and I dont’ drink…at all. But my roommate does…so 3 ounces of Vodka should fix me right up. I’ll post back later to let you know how it’s coming.

P.S. Thanks for the replies. When you’re in pain it’s nice to see some concern/caring/whatever from others.

[quote=“Mordeth”]It was getting better. Pretty sure it was the cool air on my neck from the ride home yesterday that made it worse.

When I was a teenager I had a cramp like this that was so bad I woke up unable to move my head…AT ALL. That was scary. I started screaming.

I just remembered that alcohol is a muscle relaxent…and I don’t’ drink…at all. But my roommate does…so 3 ounces of Vodka should fix me right up. I’ll post back later to let you know how it’s coming.

P.S. Thanks for the replies. When you’re in pain it’s nice to see some concern/caring/whatever from others.[/quote]

The problem is it is likely not in your neck but further down your back and is likely nerve or tendon related (probably nerval). My problem was just below the shoulder blade but resulted in me being unable to move my head like you. The problem re-occured every so often. It just gets worse with age and can really restrict your neck mobility over time.

Again, do see someone. It is foolish to suffer from a recurring problem when it can easily be remedied.

Now I can understand more where the cranky Mordeth post in another thread is comin g from after reading this.

There could obviously be an underlying cause for this apart from “sleeping on the wrong angle” and such. If you’re not ready to go to the doctor then I’d suggest some massage and possibly spend around $1,000nt on a TENS machine from your local electrical store.

I don’t know the store name, but they are in every suburb and tend to have a red and yellow style them. Not 3C.

So, a friends 20 minute strong massage of the muscle in question which can be easily felt by massaging the neck/ upper back until the steel knot is found. Then concentrate on that knot and try to knead it out.

The TENS machine does the same thing but better and will contract and relax the muscle. Goal is to get the muscle to release its tension. You will then feel the pain go away.

Underlying stress could be a concern here as well. You’ll know the answer to that one.

I’ve had a lot of physio work over the years and since this sounds like a recurring problem I’m pretty sure massage won’t address the underlying problem.

Go for the needles. Accupuncture will probbaly help. I’ve had numerous back troubles from my spinal arthritis; the needles work.

And I don’t know for sure, but if it were a pinched nerve, wouldn’t you be in tears?

I had a herniated disk a few years back and kept blacking out from the pain.

Given the lack of swelling, I’d try an electric hotpad (buy one at a pharmacy – they’re well worth the investment); use it for half an hour several times a day until the pain is gone. Usually works for me. And be sure to milk this for all the sympathy you can get from your GF! :wink:

Advil, dude. I’ve had neck tightness before (and pretty bad once too. Basically on the level where I couldn’t fall asleep for more than 10 minutes at a time because of the pain). Advil was my best friend and it allowed me to move my neck a bit, helping stretch it out.

Sometimes, getting some range of motion helps alleviate the problem.

Yes, just talking about TENS and massage to fix the right now problem.

I’ll get this problem probably twice a year and it is mostly stress tension in my neck and seems to be set off by sleeping in funny positions then I end up on the merrygoround of bunched up neck muscles causing me extra stress which is like a feedback loop to keep them tight.

I’d be in a panic if I lost my TENS. Massage helps but the TENS is what takes the tension out. It’s just a simple home unit based on the same treatment the physio will give you. I have no idea how to ask for it in the stores, just look for a small device that comes with 2 pads that makes the muscles jump. Maybe you can mime the whole thing and the store assistant will click. (not likely, ‘stupid foreigner’ look is likely)

It has about 10 programs that run for some 15 minutes from level 1 to 8.

Yes, just talking about TENS and massage to fix the right now problem.

I’ll get this problem probably twice a year and it is mostly stress tension in my neck and seems to be set off by sleeping in funny positions then I end up on the merrygoround of bunched up neck muscles causing me extra stress which is like a feedback loop to keep them tight.

I’d be in a panic if I lost my TENS. Massage helps but the TENS is what takes the tension out. It’s just a simple home unit based on the same treatment the physio will give you. I have no idea how to ask for it in the stores, just look for a small device that comes with 2 pads that makes the muscles jump. Maybe you can mime the whole thing and the store assistant will click. (not likely, ‘stupid foreigner’ look is likely)

It has about 10 programs that run for some 15 minutes from level 1 to 8.[/quote]

I only get this around once a year. But yeah the whole “loop” thing sounds about right. Yesterday I was in so much pain when I moved that I was constantly nervous…which kept me pretty tense. The alcohol helped and my girlfriend brought home one of those hot/cold bags for 220nt. I’m not 100%, yet. But I’m wayyy better than yesterday.

This started on Saturday while I was waiting for my roommate to bring back the car so I could take in my non-working computer…he was late…stress. And it slowly got better until I rode my scooter to work and had a fight with a co-worker…cold and stress. And now it’s getting better again.

All good advice so far. So too is noting the relationship to a stressful incident.

Acupuncture does help and those local clinics where you pay NT$50 are fine for such a problem. As for medications, Valium is a muscle relaxant and can be used for muscle spasms, like sore backs and necks . . . it’s an insidious drug though; nice buzz, but the downside is potentially horrid.

Anyway, good to hear it’s clearing up.

HG

If it continues, then I wouldn’t rule out bruxism. That is, you may want to let your dentist rule it out.

Although a brief (very brief, sorry) search on the web didn’t result in any “one symptom is neck pain,” I’ve read that TMJ in particular can lead to the kind of shooting, sudden neck pain you described in your OP. Bruxism often leads to TMJ.

Good luck!

Ironman Wrote:

[quote]
I’d be in a panic if I lost my TENS. Massage helps but the TENS is what takes the tension out. It’s just a simple home unit based on the same treatment the physio will give you. I have no idea how to ask for it in the stores, just look for a small device that comes with 2 pads that makes the muscles jump. Maybe you can mime the whole thing and the store assistant will click. (not likely, ‘stupid foreigner’ look is likely) [/quote]

Hope the following the information of the medical device can help you to find it.

Brand name: KoKa
Itme NO. : KP-2120
Telphone : 0800000178

Good luck!

I can attest to the usefullness of the Koka Tens machine…And I’ve had chronic back trouble for almost 20 years.

It’s quite a powerful little unit, but you’ll need some knowledge of where the muscles run in your back/neck to get the most effectivness out of it.

Also, I used to go to the local Chiropractic “Shr-Fu’s” and try to get stretched/tortured. Without exception, they always made the pain/condition worse. Finally, I stumbled upon a simple solution that has really helped me…Get your neck stretched. At the local hospital in Yangmei they have the equipment to do so. It basically looks like a medevial torture chamber, but can be programmed by weight/time. I usually do 17-19 kilos for about 25 minutes, followed by a 20 minute session on their large Tens machine. You can have your neck stretched in either lying prone or sitting. You’ll have a head harness with a simple cable/pulley system.

On a final note: There is no “one time cure” for back problems…You will most likely be dealing with the issue sporatically for the rest of your days. The simple stuff like lifting with your legs and stretching exercises should be self-evident.

You are saying yeah, but I threw my back out brushing my teeth! I know how you feel, the last time I did it was from a sneeze…Go figure

I had the same problem on and off for months. I tried a chiropractor, and he was able to fix the problem temporarily, but it was only after visiting a doctor here that the problem vanished.

One doctor made it worse with very painful massage and those suction bells. So I tried another place, and they gave me acupuncture first, tea steam treatment and then a mild massage (to loosen up the neck and shoulder muscles), and then he ‘cracked’ my neck by turning it fully in each direction left and right.

The problem has never come back, despite the doctor telling me he could only alleviate the pain and not fix the problem (because he was too far away for me to go back for more treatment).

Hope that helps.

Sean

[quote=“Stray Dog”]

The problem has never come back, despite the doctor telling me he could only alleviate the pain and not fix the problem (because he was too far away for me to go back for more treatment).

Hope that helps.

Sean[/quote]

When I was a kid I used to get paralyzing pain that would shoot down one side of my body. I would always get it from a simple head turn.

I started to see a chiropractor and it helped. One time I went to him and said I was going away for a few months. He said “Well, we’ll have to do an extra large adjustment so you’ll be ok on your vacation.”…After that…that specific problem never came back.

It’s almost as if they give you little fixes so you’ll come back and spend more money. And if you tell them you’re moving away or that you don’t live near there to begin with…etc. They’ll just fix you. :s