Crap quality of stuff bought here

I bought an ACER notebook more than 3 years ago and haven’t had any problems up to now (knock on wood) and I am really a heavy user. Especially the screen is still in an incredible condition.

So, at least in terms of electronics “made in Taiwan” there doesn’t seem to be inferior quality for the local market (based on my own anecdotal evidence only of course). Still, I would always stick to name brands. Nonames most of the time offer no more than nightmarket quality.

I bought a chair at B&Q about 7 months ago. It was one of those tubular steel swinging rockers. This thing was built like a tank with

Brands: Shop at big stores and stick with name brands (“Made in Taiwan” or not.)

The made-in-Taiwan products that are sold in the US seem to work well. It’s not easy to find Japan-branded electronics (in the US) that are entirely made in Japan. Most of Japanese cars are made in the US but the overall quality is still superior. I guess the “name” does count.

IKEA: I had several pieces of chairs and tables and the quality was not better than what I could’ve gotten at Target or Bed, Bath and Beyond. But IKEA’s pirces are much higher.

Warranty: It’s in generaly simpler and easier to have something fixed in Taiwan. Even if you have it repaired at a nearby independent shop, it usually dosen’t cost much.

Thermal Water Pot: Either the Japanese “Elephant” or the “Tiger” brand is excellent. Use filtered water in the pot and clean the pot once a month (so every time it doesn’t take long to get the job done.) White vinegar works. A product that I got at Carrefour works great. The package dosen’t have English on it (only Chinese and Japanese). It’s made or imported by Market Leader Co., Ltd. and the brand is probably “HIKARI.”

Communication: Being able to speak more than basic Chinese helps. In the US, I’d expect strangers or service people to speak with me in English.

Speaking of defective home electroncs, does anyone’s fridge make a water gargling sound? like boiling water, or stomach growling? It comes from the freezer.

I just moved into a new place, and it’s furnished with a brand new Westinghouse Fridge. The landlord says that noise is “normal”, does that sound normal to anyone here? My old Toshiba fridge didn’t make that noise.

I too have had pretty good experiences with Taiwan made things, but really guys, how can you ever say what is made in Taiwan and the USA? Many things in Taiwan are China made, ditto for USA made. In the USA it is easier to find real wood, albeit often pine. Some of the poorest quality things I bought came from Ikea. That press wood furniture only lasts so long before it starts to warp. Stay away from the pressed wood or particle board furniture there, go for the pine stuff.

One thing I can’t seem to buy here is a good phone! That is a protected industry with not so many imports here. Most every one I bought so far has broken quickly. On the otherhand, maybe that Siemens Gigaset cordless I brought over from the US that works so well for me is actually made in Taiwan. Taiwan can make good stuff if they want to and Made in the USA / Japan sometimes means cheap crap made in China.