Crappy McDonald's Service

Since moving to Banqiao about five months ago, I’ve frequented the local McDonald’s at least a few times a month. The service at McDonald’s in Taiwan is bad enough, but this particular one is horrible. Every time I went there (whether morning, lunchtime, or in the evening), the food racks were bare … they would only make something after you ordered, thus negating the “fast” in “fast food.” Their attitudes were worse than typical, they frequently forgot things or screwed up the orders, being out of things like Coke and french fries, etc. I complained to the manager to no avail, and even to the McDonald’s headquarters in Taiwan several times, again to no avail.

Last Saturday night was the last straw. So anyway, I called up corporate McDonald’s in the States to complain. At first they told me that I should contact the McDonald’s HQ in Taiwan, but I told them that I’d tried and that they hadn’t done squat. So, they took my complaint, the address and phone number of the particular location, and apologized profusely. The next day (Sunday morning), I got telephone calls from three different people in management from Taiwan’s McDonald’s apologizing profusely, and the manager of the store in question gave me her personal cell number and said if I was dissatisfied with ANYTHING in the future to call her and let her know so she could deal with it right away, and wanted to set up a meeting with me to tell her how they could improve.

So, if you have any problems with McDonald’s (or any other American chain in Taiwan for that matter) in regards to their service, I suggest not complaining to them here, but going all the way to the top. It worked in this case, and extremely quickly. I bet if corporate McDonald’s in the States started getting a bunch of complaints from Taiwan about the horrible service, there could be some positive changes. If anyone wants to complain, their number is 1-800-244-6227 (but make sure to tell them that complaining to McD’s in Taiwan is useless otherwise they will just tell you to talk to them here … if you tell them it doesn’t work, they’ll take your complaint).

Taiwan McDonald’s have the worst service I’ve experienced in any country I’ve been to, period. I hate the corporate policy of cooking to order when it’s not that difficult to predict what will sell and when, but even complaining to the US isn’t going to change that. I hate the way they can stuff up almost every single order, but when you figure the staff there are being paid NT$80 an hour, it shouldn’t be a surprise. You got what you paid for.

I just don’t eat McDonald’s anymore. Problem solved. The food is bad for you anyway.

Why eat at McDonalds in Taiwan ever?? We’ve got some of the best food on the planet that is cheap and fast. Are there not enough food stalls for you?

[quote=“hsiadogah”]The food is bad for you anyway.[/quote]…compared to MSG infested deepfried whatevers, that is debateable.

That’s fantastic! Keep up the good work! I’ve had some bizarre experiences at McDonald’s - including being unable to get a large cup of ice water because they didn’t have a button for it (I finally got it after offering the senior manager on duty $1000NT for it - he declined, thank God!) Another time I wanted to have a chocolate sunday, but I wanted them to use chocolate ice-cream, which they were offereing in cones a s a promotion. They refused, on the grounds that it wouldn’t “taste good”. Again, conversations with the senior manager on duty straightened things out. My biggest complaint is that the McDonald’s next to my school has only squat toilets (as does my school!) I have to plan my metabolic transactions around my work schedule because of this… :laughing:

McDonald’s Taiwan is bizarre and secretive. They usually refuse interviews to reporters, even if you are from a respectible media outlet, and won’t even let anyone from the media in their building.

But why bother eating there? I keep having nightmares of someone opening an Egg McMuffin and sliding it down my face while the awful chime music often heard in McDonald’s here plays in the background.

Last time I was in McDs, I heard Counting Crows “Hangin’ Around” on the PA as I was ordering. Cool.
Then I heard it 14 times on repeat, and now I hate that song.

This has happened to me in various places in Taiwan. Is it normal to stick a single song on infinite repeat here? If I was workinn there shaking those fries I’d end up bashing someone over the head with the basket after an hour.

I’ve never understood why I can’t get a simple pack of salt at McDonalds. And why do I have to f-u-c-k-ing beg for an extra napkin??? :unamused:

That serve what has to be some of the filthiest crap in Asia. Ever wonder why Taiwan has one of the highest Hepatitis and liver disease death rates on the planet? Got news for you, it’s not because of McDonalds.

Your life must otherwise be unburdened by significant problems :slight_smile:

I suggest anyone that has any specific complaints about McD’s in Taiwan list them here, then I will forward them on to corporate McD’s in the States. They seemed quite concerned about my complaints, and it showed since I got three separate management calls the next morning. We can’t change the world, but doing little things like improving service at McD’s is at least a start! :smiley:

ok.

1. Ban students from hogging all the tables doing study or sleeping, and not eating.

Come to England.

There is no service at Ronalds.

No napkins, you have to pay for sauce sachets, the staff are rude and often don’t speak English.

The fries come in different packet sizes: Large, medium and small, but the portions are all one size: small.
Fries are cold and too salty. Hamburgers often taste like they are four days old. I have had several experiences of there only being one piece of bread on a chicken sandwich. The coke is often flat, the mangaer is never “in” when I ask to see one.

They always play daft rap or dance music. The tables often drip with sauce or coke. The toilets are always dirty and smelly.

At the drive thru you cant hear anything through the crackly little box they position 7 miles away from your car when you need to order.
They always miss out a pack of fries or otherwise mess up the order on multiple orders. Apple pies are always cold.

At drive thu’s you have to battle you way through crowds of boy racers and their aerofoiled and spoilered 1987 ford fiesta 1.1’s to get to the door if you want to get into the restaurant.

McDonalds in Taiwan = Absolute Bliss and Service Heaven. Don’t complain. You don’t know how bad it could really be.

I love McDonald’s here, particularly the Big mac. I’ve never had a terrible experience here. Locations in Yonghe, New York New York, Dunhua S. Rd locations, Sun Yat Sen Memorial, various food courts :ponder:

Service actually is marginally better than the No Cal South Bay Area McDonalds :s. I literally can wait 20 mins for my burger order to be ready. Fast? Yeah, I’m fast never coming back…

[quote=“truant”]ok.

1. Ban students from hogging all the tables doing study or sleeping, and not eating.[/quote]

That’s numbers 1-10.

[quote=“truant”]Is it normal to stick a single song on infinite repeat here? If I was workinn there shaking those fries I’d end up bashing someone over the head with the basket after an hour.[/quote]You answered your own question with your #1 complaint…

[quote=“truant”]1. Ban students from hogging all the tables doing study or sleeping, and not eating.[/quote]They don’t want to ban them from doing this, they want to make the environment so unsuitable for studying or sleeping that they won’t even try it. Take your pick, students hogging all the tables or sonic torture.

[quote=“Dangermouse”]Come to England.

There is no service at Ronalds.
[/quote]

Once in London, I saw a drunk patron get really annoyed with a security guard who wouldn’t let him use the toilets unless he bought something first. So he did. A Big Mac which he then threw at the guard with 110% effort. His missed, and was then arrested. He was still dying for a leak when the cops showed. Hilarious.

[quote=“hsiadogah”][quote=“truant”]Is it normal to stick a single song on infinite repeat here? If I was workinn there shaking those fries I’d end up bashing someone over the head with the basket after an hour.[/quote]You answered your own question with your #1 complaint…

So I guess telling them to leave if they’re not eating and there for 4 hrs using 2 tables per person is too obvious?

Some 9-10 years ago the students may have been even worse. I remember being with 3 other business men and we had to go and sit in the play area and eat.

The management did not give a toss.

Some 9-10 years ago the students may have been even worse. I remember being with 3 other business men and we had to go and sit in the play area and eat.

The management did not give a toss.[/quote]

cool, did you go in the tunnels or the big pit of plastic balls?