Crappy McDonald's Service

That would have been worth paying to watch. :bravo:

I read a biography on Ray Croc. He would be turning in his Mc grave if he knew about the bad service.

The company had many competitors and only prospered for one reason. People could go back time and time again and get the same, same, same in cleanliness, quality and service.

[quote=“truant”]
So I guess telling them to leave if they’re not eating and there for 4 hrs using 2 tables per person is too obvious?[/quote]tut tut, forgot your ten commandments of Taiwanese culture again? :wink:

#7: Avoid confrontation at all costs and solve problems the sneaky way instead.

In any case, how likely is it that someone earning NT$80 an hour is going to have the judgment to figure out who should stay, who should go, and then have the tact or the nuts to enforce that decision? IMHO, not very likely.

Put it this way, if your house was overrun by mosquitos and it was spoiling your enjoyment of monday night football, would you try and explain why you didn’t want them in the house, or would you just buy some kind of ultrasound repellant device and spend your time watching TV instead?

I would do the ultrasound repellant thing; I would not try to explain to the mosquitos.

(EDIT: removing off-topic question. standing firmly by refusal to explain anything whatsoever to mosquitos.)

Did anyone know that the starting wage for a counter person or fry cook at McD’s in Taiwan is NT$67/hr? Finding that out answered any question I ever had about service there.

How did you find that out?

There

How did you find that out?[/quote]

Friend owns a restaurant; had some employees that started out there.

[quote=“truant”]Last time I was in McDs, I heard Counting Crows “Hangin’ Around” on the PA as I was ordering. Cool.
Then I heard it 14 times on repeat, and now I hate that song.

This has happened to me in various places in Taiwan. Is it normal to stick a single song on infinite repeat here? If I was workinn there shaking those fries I’d end up bashing someone over the head with the basket after an hour.[/quote]
I’ve often encountered the “repeat song ad nauseam” phenomenon in many places in Asia. I don’t know why it doesn’t drive people here insane.

[quote=“Chris”]
I’ve often encountered the “repeat song ad nauseam” phenomenon in many places in Asia. I don’t know why it doesn’t drive people here insane.[/quote]I think it’s the Asian ability to just block out things which are unpleasant, but unavoidable. Call it denial, call it anger management.

“No one just farted in this crowded elevator”
“The guy in the Benz didn’t really just park on my foot”
“That slob foreigner really is just teaching my daughter English”

That’s also why people just blow up for no apparent reason into ultraviolence. Years of repression and listening to bad music on repeat mode.

I’d like to thank the op for this. THANK YOU! I WILL be calling the States about an incident at Mc. D’s on Wu Fu road a couple weeks ago. Some high school age thugs intentionally frightened my son and orded me to leave! I complained to the management in Chinese, which he pretended not to understand, so I called my husband and let him speak Chinses to him. Then the manager went to the kids in question and asked what had happened. “I don’t know,” the replied. End of story. I got more and more pissed and told the man that I would not be back. I was a pretty good customer there because my son could play there while waiting for my husband to work late. He then offers me a free small fry and asks me to come again. Such crap! I haven’t been back, and I won’t be. In fact I’ve been completely off Mc. D’s, which is only good anyway. But I WILL call. This was just rediculous and needed to be dealt with. Thanks again, op.

It has been one of the great mysteries for over half a century: How a place that peddles such crap food can not only remain in business, but become a global institution.

Come on, people. You have the option of eating real food.

[quote=“mod lang”]It has been one of the great mysteries for over half a century: How a place that peddles such crap food can not only remain in business, but become a global institution.

Come on, people. You have the option of eating real food.[/quote]

McD’s has been in business for that long time by getting things right. Selling better quality food that the competition at a better price, run their operation more effeciently, and keep their stores cleaner and getting the max out of their franchise system.

If you read about them that at least becomes very clear.

money.cnn.com/2004/04/19/news/fo … nalds_ceo/

CEO of McDonald’s, Jim Cantalupo, died of a heart attack this morning.

Sad day for me. I love McDonald’s. I’m lovin’ it.

What I find bizarre is that you can get 20 chicken McNuggets in one of their “family meals” (which, by the way, is NOT enough to feed a family), but you can’t order 20 chicken McNuggets on their own … :loco:

And I love it how they have about 10 people in the back milling around, chatting, and having a good ol’ time during peak eating hours with only one or two people taking orders …

There have been a number of times that I proved that “white people will be served slower”. This applies to KFC, too. Many times I’ve been at a MCD or KFC and had to wait until I yelled at them to get my food. Then, miraculously, my food appears from behind the counter. As if they hid it there, waiting until I complained.

One time a coworker (also a foreigner) and I went to MCD for lunch. It was packed. There were at least 5 lines of people in there. We were in different lines and slowly made our way to the front. I ordered (speaking Chinese) 4 regular cheeseburgers. I don’t know what he ordered. They told me it would “be 5 minutes”. 25 minutes later and after seven locals had ordered and gotten their food, I yelled very loudly (looking toward the back) in Taiwanese “I’m hungry–hurry up!!” The whole room became quiet. A girl behind the counter became very nervous, ran around and brought out my food instantly. If they forgot, that’s one thing. But why was my food finished but behind the counter?

I was standing around eating my cheeseburgers, waiting for my friend. This was like 40 minutes after he had ordered. I was nearly finished and they had already told him three times to go sit down and they’ll bring it to him.
Again, she said: “go sit down and we’ll bring it to you. Hao bu hao??”
My friend: “BU hao.”
She said something.
My friend: “Gan Lee Nyeah!!” (Something VERY bad in Taiwanese).
He got his food within 10 seconds.

A year or two ago, I started a thread about “racial discrimination in Western food establishments”, but all of the responses were “I don’t think so.”. The same thing has happened at that particular store, as well as KFC in two locations. Including a number of times I still had to wait 20 minutes and yell at them when it was 3pm when nobody was there.

Maybe they think it’s “cute” when foreigners say bad things in Chinese/Taiwanese.
(The restaurant in the story was across from National Cheng-Kung University in Tainan, on DaXue Rd.)

They could have better toys in their Crappy Meals.

yeah, considering they sell more toys than Toys-r-us!! (fact)

As for the one song playing over-and-over:

In 1999, there was a restaurant close to my house that had Sichuan food. I was the only person there. I told them to change the song that kept repeating. They went away and came back and told me that “the boss says that we want to have this song keep playing.” I was a frequent customer, even!! A few months later, the place went out of business. Good riddance of that repetition, but a loss because their food really was great. Especially the Ma Po Tofu.

How on earth could anybody dictate to annoyingly play the same song over and over again? I imagine the boss was a rocking-back-and-forth retard that enjoyed that song. I couldn’t even see “the boss”.

Aye Oh Ey!!!

[quote=“914”]http://money.CNN.com/2004/04/19/news/fortune500/mcdonalds_ceo/

CEO of McDonald’s, Jim Cantalupo, died of a heart attack this morning.

Sad day for me. I love McDonald’s. I’m lovin’ it.[/quote]

He probably heard about a spate of complaints from Taiwan…

[quote=“mod lang”]It has been one of the great mysteries for over half a century: How a place that peddles such crap food can not only remain in business, but become a global institution.

Come on, people. You have the option of eating real food.[/quote]

Right. Pig’s blood on a stick. Just thinking about it makes me want to…