Crazy weather in Pingtung June 17 (2013)

Not sure if anywhere else got it, but holly crap was it weird. I was up north most of the day and the weather was fantastic all up and down the west coast.

first part was wind. REALLY strong, moreso than most typhoons we have. i can tell as i have never had so much damage, and such strange damage, as i have now. lots of downed trees. the plastic sign board that they put in the gaps in the wall where the air conditioner sits have punched out holes. im guessing flying stuff hit them.

Wind isnt unusual here, but how fast it came and how hard it hit without warning was the shocker. i have large inground trees that stood through morakot without a break, now they are sitting flat down in mud/flood (water has gone down now).

second was hail. i live pretty far south and its pretty fucking hot right now. $50 coin sized hail in 34C. to my knowledge this has never happened in the area that people know of. our house, 15 mins away, had no such weather.

Really really weird, and i have a farm of flat trees to show for it :astonished:

the passing typhoon mustve sent an emissary.

Wow, more hail. And in Pingtong. In Taipei it is strange enough -only 3 times in recorded history. Wind like tornado even more rare.

Take pictures of the sky if you can.

[quote=“Pingdong”]Not sure if anywhere else got it, but holly crap was it weird. I was up north most of the day and the weather was fantastic all up and down the west coast.

first part was wind. REALLY strong, moreso than most typhoons we have. i can tell as I have never had so much damage, and such strange damage, as I have now. lots of downed trees. the plastic sign board that they put in the gaps in the wall where the air conditioner sits have punched out holes. im guessing flying stuff hit them.

Wind isnt unusual here, but how fast it came and how hard it hit without warning was the shocker. I have large inground trees that stood through morakot without a break, now they are sitting flat down in mud/flood (water has gone down now).

second was hail. i live pretty far south and its pretty fucking hot right now. $50 coin sized hail in 34C. to my knowledge this has never happened in the area that people know of. our house, 15 mins away, had no such weather.

Really really weird, and I have a farm of flat trees to show for it :astonished:[/quote]

You must have got hit with a microburst, they have typhoon level winds.

any suggestions on where i can read about this kind of weather?

unfortunately i wasnt able to see it as i was visiting up island at the time. i only came home to floods, downed trees and some pretty excited people telling us about the hail. i havent seen hail since back home. i havent even seen ice outside since then.