Credit Cards for Foreigners - General Discussion

Need some recommendations.

I now have an Amex gold credit card, and the Fubon J Points credit card (JCB).

I’m looking at what card to get for my third one. I’m looking for a Visa card specifically, and not from Cathay. I don’t care about excellent cashback, since my Fubon card already gives me 3.5%. I’m more interested in a card that gives me other benefits, like buy one get one free movie tickets, or something else useful like that.

So, what do you guys recommend?

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s buy one get one free anymore (looks like it’s 40% off on weekdays), but that was the Citibank 饗樂生活 card: https://www.citibank.com.tw/zh/credit-cards/rewards/privileges-card/

1 Like

Do citi still accept applications even though they are being merged with DBS?

Yes they are, and I wouldn’t be surprised if DBS continues this program.

1 Like

After the very good news of approval for Amex Eva Air Gold Card, got also approved today for the Costco Signature Card with Cathay United. It has been a bit dodgy to be honest, but I got the approval, which is very important for credit score. So, applied on Sun 29-May at Neihu Costco together with Costco membership (which I didn’t have). While I was finishing up the costco membership things (pic taken and fee payment), they made my fiance’e to apply for a card too and even sign for guarantorship for my card application. The bank agent at the store gave me a 75% success rate with this arrangement, notwhithstanding the fact that I receive my salary in my cathay account (although in USD, but I convert a good chunk of it in TWD immediately, and it’s more than enough to apply for the signature card, and I had plenty of cash in the account). The Tue after applying the bank called me and checked some details about my employment (remotely working for a HK company, so no office/structure here, staying here thanks to the employment gold card). Anyways, happy it worked out, very curious to see what credit limit they gave me, since the one they gave to my fiance’e is ludicrous (I mean, she earns well for TW standards, but that’s a high limit even for HK standards).

6 Likes

They gave me TWD 60K of limit. could have been worse, it’s a start.

5 Likes

any foreigner here ever get a sunny bank CC?

I want to add this card to my collection:

their site has no info about foreigners

2 Likes

I tried 3 years ago. First time they processed my app, pulled my credit report, no guarantor requested but then sent a denial text to my phone. Girl said I could reapply in 3 months. Reapplied in 3 months, denied, and demanded a guarantor this time, didn’t pull my credit that time and trashed the app since I refused a guarantor. Didn’t decide to fight them since I just applied to see if they would accept.

You should try recently

1 Like

Thanks. I bet you’ve also applied for first bank, how did that go? The reason I’m considering these particular credit cards is because their banks have branches near my office so I can apply during lunch time :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can apply to any bank by requesting an application form via mail. Then you can fill out and mail back the application to them, including any important documents. You never have to visit the bank for credit card-related stuff.

2 Likes

First Bank is the most foreigner friendly of the government banks. They are open to foreigners applying but limits are kinda low.

1 Like

Dont encourage this behaviour: His insatiable thirst for more plastic cards.
Too much too fast is never good… he needs to savour it and take it one card at a time.

5 Likes

It’s my impression, reading this thread, that some forumosans are into collecting credit cards in much the same manner as @Brianjones collects bank account passbooks. :grin:

Someone should set up a poll—how many credit cards do forumosans need?

Guy

4 Likes

My husband applied, he has his salary deposited there (although he doesn’t earn much) they declined him because his savings wasn’t enough. He is a Taiwanese citizen.
He was then approved by CTBC for $30,000ntd.

My guess if they aren’t approving Taiwanese, they aren’t approving foreigners either :joy:

4 Likes

I have two so far, AMEX and Fubon.

There is an assumption online that one’s max credit limit across all banks should be no more than 22 times one’s monthly salary, and I’d like to get to that number by collecting different cards with cool features and benefits. It feels good to know that a bank is willing to give me credit, that I’m trustworthy enough. Right now I’m at 2 times my monthly salary.

I bet @dan2006 has a lot, right?

2 Likes

They told me I needed to keep a deposit of the same amount of the credit card.

1 Like

I believe the recommended strategy online is to focus on the one card / points program that gives you the most benefits you want and centralize your spend there. i looked into it before, and collecting multiple cards has very little benefits, and in Taiwan even less so.

3 Likes

Does this card have any benefits other than a cute picture of Little Ding Dang?

It says “precious” on the card - so it might be really valuable as a collectible!! :money_mouth_face:

4 Likes

It has 3% cashback in South Korea and Japan