Credit Cards for Foreigners - General Discussion

Good tips.
But I already have 3 other cards, not sure if I want to get one with them now…

1 Like

Not sure what the right thread is for this, but anyway: recently got a CTBC / ChinaTrust credit card. And I got the bill as a PDF in the mail. My question: how can I pay this thing online? I’m trying to log in to different CTBC sites and apps with my APRC number, but they’re not accepting it.

(Yes, I can go somewhere else to print the PDF, and then withdraw cash and take the cash and printed bill to a bank … but that’d be nice to avoid.)

I only have a CTBC credit card, no account there otherwise, and I have no records or memory of ever logging in to their website or setting up an online account. I’ve got the app on my phone but have never successfully registered. I’m not sure if I’m missing something dumb, or it just will never accept an APRC number as ID. (For what it’s worth I’m still on the “old” APRC numbering system.)

EDIT: OK, so there’s a note at the bottom of the page for non-ROC citizens to enter your birthdate + first two letters of family name as an ID (same as with tax); that’s helped me set up an online account. But I’m still looking for a way to pay.

I find it amusing that they have “CTBC Credit Card User Guide” that doesn’t explain how to pay the bill.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, thanks in advance!

What I do. Just open that PDF , zoom in to the barcode, make sure your screen is turned up bright, show it to the worker at 711 and say you want to pay in full. They scan the screen with a barcode reader, you pay the cash, you get the receipt… done

Or set up autopay from your bank account. Bring your bankbook to CTBC and they will get you to fill in a form to set up autopay

2 Likes

Thanks - good tip about using the PDF barcode on my smartphone; that’ll save one step at least. I’m still hoping to avoid withdrawing a bunch of money to then immediately use to pay a bill - I’ve mostly managed to avoid that for the past few years!

My wife just spent a long time on hold before confirming that, nope, those without a normal ARC are unable to pay online (in contrast to the system the Cathay Costco card uses, which has always worked fine for me). Assorted options are using some kind of transfer with an ATM (because that avoids the ID number hurdle); direct transfer from another bank account, after I set it up with that bank (which is what I’ll probably do); or setting up an account with ChinaTrust and paying from that.

1 Like

Probably the easiest is to go to China trust, and let them set auto deduction from your bank so that there is no need of getting yet another account you may not need. They pretty much take a copy of your bankbook, you sign, and in a month or two it is setup to come out of your current account wherever it is.

For years I did the whole 711 thing only because I get unlimited withdrawals on any ATM with my bank so it was no biggie to get a wad of cash once a month. But I can see why people wouldn’t want to do that

1 Like

Yeah, I dunno, maybe I’m too conservative or cautious but I dislike the idea of auto-deduction. Anyway, I guess I’ll pay this month with the wad of cash, and soon enable transfers with my main account.

1 Like

I just wanted to share my experience applying for credit card. I have been working in Taiwan since January 2021, but has been here since 2018 (as a student). In the past I have trouble applying for credit card in Citi, Cathay, SCSB. Outright didn’t even allow me to apply (need to have Taiwan ID, have savings account there, need to make $100k~ deposit, etc.).

Last week, out of boredom from the long winter break, I have decided to go to a CTBC near my house. The employee that I talked had trouble speaking in english but really helpful. He helped me with everything anyway. I provided the usual ARC/Passport requirements, plus 6+ worth of pay slips. Wasn’t expecting much, as I came to believe I WOULD NEVER have a credit card here – but hey, so glad that I finally got one :slight_smile:

12/28 - Went to bank to fill up form
12/30 - Received a system generated text that my application was received
01/03 - Got a call from the bank confirming my application
01/04 - Got a text that my application was approved.
Note: If you are a foreigner, you won’t be able to check the application status online. You can either wait for the SMS updates or call their english-speaking hotline

Just want to say I appreciate the guy who helped me in the application :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Here’s my experiences with credit cards:

• Rejected for Costco CC (I had a cathay bank account with 300k in it but no new deposits)
  • Given HSBC TW cash back CC for having a premier account in the US
  • Given ESun 世界卡 with annual fee waved for being a VIP and using their private investment services
1 Like

Hey All,

Just to add to the thread I was approved for a bronze Amex about a year go, spouse based ARC, earn about $60k a month and they allowed me to use $30,000aud in savings in my Australian bank as proof of collateral as well.

I love the card and amex customer service is second to none!

The downside is it’s not accepted at 7-11, Family mart or px mart. It is accepted at all the large shopping centres, carrefour, momo, pchome and a surprising amount of local businesses (the tap feature doesn’t work at some places and it needs to be swiped which is weird)

Does anyone have any recommendations on a Visa/Mastercard that allows me to mail in the application?

I’m considering the costco card.

I live in Miaoli and have never had an easy experience at a bank here, I can only imagine how applying for a credit card would go.

What bank is this?

American Express is not a bank, its a non affiliated credit card company.

i was refused at all banks and also got an amex card (they were the inly ones that didnt reject me)
after getting the amex, i applied for Mastercard in Cathay bank and was approved. they asked if i have any other cards and i said amex.

2 Likes

Amex was great for me too!

Did you still need to show your earnings when you applied at Cathay?

My boss pays cash and under declares my income :frowning:

they asked for a photo copy of my bank book, the last 3 months prior to application.

1 Like

Can non Americans in Taiwan get an Amex?

Yes they don’t care about nationality in my experience

I have the Costco credit card. I had to show three months wages and apply as Cathy not Costco.

yes

It’s now 2022, hope you are still around. I am now 71 years old, still working for an engineering company in Taiwan. I’ve been stall for 8 years, and will continue into the foreseeable future. My bank 合作金庫 will not give credit cards to foreigners. Do you know if the credit cards you have have a 70 or 75 years age limits?

Best is to call and ask. American Express have a very efficient and even English speaking customer service.