Criminal background check?


Then what’s good about the new law if most language schools are considered “buxibans”?


Good things.
-Returning teachers don’t need to get it for contract renewal (unless their particular cram school demands it).
-it’s not retroactive for job-seekers who entered before that aforementioned date in June
-If you’re working at a public school or Uni, you don’t need to bother with it. (Is that fair? Well, no. But as a Uni teacher, I’m glad I don’t have to bother with this rubbish.)

“Good conduct certificate” is so vague though. I’m still not sure if they’re asking for a local jurisdiction police check (which only take a week and are relatively easy, but also pretty useless for determining criminal background), or a full-on FBI check (which takes about 3 months non-expedited, or costs a crapload of cash if you want to expedite it).

EDIT: Ooooh, okay. According to the Taiwan news article, it is an FBI check. Those are a pain in the ass. Good luck, OP.


Well I got mine expedited through a channeler. I just hope they’ll accept it/doesnt need to be authorized in the states here… Also if I can get it translated once I’m in taiwan.



I can’t speak authoritatively for this specific situation, as mine was to get my marriage arc and the document was from the UK rather than the US (though I’m not sure why that would matter), but we got a local bilingual friend to translate then took it to the court house to be notarized.

Can’t see why that would be a problem unless there’s something else in the new regulations specifically forbidding it.

Edit: I note that the BOCA site says “Both the original-language documents and the accompanying Chinese- or English-translation version must be authenticated by an R.O.C. (Taiwan) overseas mission”. So maybe we just got lucky. Don’t (ever!) take my word as gospel, just my experience. Though once again, that’s from the marriage related information.

Sorry I can’t give you a clearer yes/no answer.


You can only convert your tourist visa to an ARC once you’re in the ROC. Most teachers still will not be come to Taiwan fully prepared; that is, with a proper, government-issued background check. Once the rule “irons out”, word will get around that you need a good conduct certificate from your home country to work in a buxiban. This will take time. This will also put strain cram schools in getting fast and easy replacements.

I believe that you can get an FBI background check done from overseas, but it can take up to three months or so. That’s what I read. I do not much about this as I have never had one done.

They don’t consider adult language schools buxibans, do they?


Two of my adult schools asked me for a local background check, which I did, because why not? Easy enough. One also wanted me to fill in some weird Google docs form of some other personal details, and another asked for a copy of my wife’s ID, both of which I refused. Basically seems like a lot of panicking and getting stuff in place just in case with no real idea of what’s going on.

Edit: to be clear, that’s not about what is required, just what some adult schools were asking for as they don’t know what’s going on - which is in itself nothing much new.


So as this works out, as a returning teacher who’s applying for a new arc at a new branch of the same chain, I shouldn’t need to do the check right?
My school has asked for local checks in the past, and I imagine the new one will do the same. No worries there, but I do have a driving conviction back home from when I was younger and dumber. 1 year away from being wiped off the record. School is aware of this, they made me explain myself before I was hired. But they haven’t asked me for the background check for this process.


What a frustrating headache this is… I feel like everything I was worried about came true :confused:

So I am going to send my expedited fbi check to the DOS who can authorize it along with the taiwan embassy and have them mail it overseas to the hostel in taipei i will be staying at.

They won’t offer (the authorization service) to get me a translation though. Can someone provide a link to where it says I absolutely have to get a translation from overseas (aka USA).
Now my understanding is not only do I have to get the background check authenticated… but i also have to get a translation authenticated??? My flight is in 11 days.

So stressed out about this. I’m worried I won’t be able to make this happen.


Yes, they do.

The types of educational institution for which you can get a work permit are listed in Art. 46 Par. 1 Subpar. 3 and 4 of the Employment Service Act.

Subpar. 4 refers to buxibans (bad translation). “Private school” in Subpar. 3 refers to the private school system (parallel to the public school system) for children. If it’s not a public school, not a private school, and not a university, but it can get work permits for foreigners, it’s a buxiban.

Then what’s good about the new law if most language schools are considered “buxibans”?

There are many things I would do differently if I were the government. :idunno:


How do you get a local background check when you’re overseas?

Something you can do online where you pay a certain fee? You surely cannot visit your local police station. Email them from overseas and have them send something for a fee?

Are some of those paid self-background checks sites online acceptable as a local background check?

Thank you. I’m lost on this stuff.


If you need one, its easy, fast and cheap. Go to the local police station when you get here, fill out form, wait a week for it to arrive. Done. Chances are you may need a medical certificate as well, call hospital, arrange a time, go there and be done in 15 minutes.


You can do it easily from Taiwan. I didn’t know that. Thank you very much.


[quote=“polyglot41, post:89, topic:161098, full:true”]
This will also put strain cram schools in getting fast and easy replacements.[/quote]

That’s good.


Welp. Just popped into the TECO office here in Chicago and they said they don’t offer authorizations for the background check nor do they offer translations. So here’s to hoping I can get the translation once I’m in Taiwan


Don’t worry, friend. You could have done the whole process from Taiwan, if you wanted.

The main constraint with the FBI check isn’t just the fingerprinting - it’s the wait! I understand why you’re uptight about that.

Taiwan has a very low cost of living, compared to other Western countries. So don’t panic. Do a little tutoring “on the side” until you get paid in your first job (if you can)

Best of luck! Stay “zen”. :grinning:


[quote=“polyglot41, post:99, topic:161098, full:true”]
Do a little tutoring “on the side” [/quote]

Do not, unless you want to get deported.

:oncoming_police_car: :policeman: :policewoman: :oncoming_police_car:


I thought tutoring was very common? As in its almost impossible to get caught doing so? Is it common to get deported for tutoring/how would you get caught?


It may be common, but it’s illegal unless you have open work rights.

As I said, there are many things I would do differently if I were the government, but we don’t give advice on how not to get caught breaking the law.

There is such a thing as a reward for reporting an illegal foreign worker.


Coming to Taiwan soon to teach English. Here’s my understanding taken from the Taiwan news article. Must have FBI background check, but it does not have to be TECO verified since the USA isn’t one of the 25 countries. Also, an authenticated translation isn’t listed in the requirements so I don’t need that.

My question is this: who or where do I deliver the background check to? Do I simply bring it with me and show each school that I apply to? Or do I mail it to some sort of government office? Etc.


Bring it with you, so the school (buxiban) can show it to the government.