Criminal history record

Hi,

What would be the best way to go about getting a criminal history record in Taiwan? I need to apply one for school, but I am overseas right now. :unamused: I don’t think I want to pull my relatives there into running errands for me. So what do I do?

get your relatives to run errands for you

I am pretty sure the police won’t run errands for you either

You relatives can phone up ask what is needed, get this from you, and then go and get it; that is of course if the cops will release this document to them, else you may have to do this in person

Just fake it. From one ex-con to another, they don’t check. Nobody in Taiwan knows about my criminal history. I have a record in the U.S. but they let me in no questions and no background checking. It’s obviously not standard operating procedure for the Taiwan foreign affairs.

Well I should add that my “criminal record” was just misdemeanors, not anything serious in the big view. If I had a felony rap sheet that might be different. I’m not a “real” criminal! But my point is, they don’t check. So you’re cool, don’t sweat it.

So, they’re not even going to check if you apply for the visa with the TECO in the US? Or did you apply over there?

The only reason I’m concerned is that I have old stuff (more than 10 years ago, now 3 misdemeanors). If I lie on the visa app and they discover it with the systems they have now (you wouldn’t believe what accurint.com picks up), they could reject it and pocket the $100. Besides, if they then see a 2nd app checking the ‘yes’ box, they could wonder what is going on.

Perhaps the best question would be, is it better to send the app directly to Taipei and see what they do?

Your advice is humbly requested and greatly appreciated…

accurint.com

That is one chillingly Orwellian website. Whatever happened to privacy?

Disappeared with the advent of the internet, I’m afraid.

Currently I work for a law firm doing debt collections, and if I was authorized to do so, I could get just about any piece of information needed to do the job. And each search only costs US$0.25. It’s pretty sad… :grrr:

So, I just wonder if the TECRO will check when I send in my visa app. I figure that I should simply put in ‘yes’ to avoid the hassle, but the above post makes me wonder if I shouldn’t take a landing visa, hit off to HK, fill it out with a ‘no’ and come back… any thoughts? :wanker: (He’s rolling dice, not being a wanker…)

[quote=“Mindmixer”]Disappeared with the advent of the internet, I’m afraid.

Currently I work for a law firm doing debt collections, and if I was authorized to do so, I could get just about any piece of information needed to do the job. And each search only costs US$0.25. It’s pretty sad… :grrr:

So, I just wonder if the TECRO will check when I send in my visa app. I figure that I should simply put in ‘yes’ to avoid the hassle, but the above post makes me wonder if I shouldn’t take a landing visa, hit off to HK, fill it out with a ‘no’ and come back… any thoughts? :wanker: (He’s rolling dice, not being a wanker…)[/quote]

It’s pretty sad :frowning: but only if you’re bad hehehehe

[quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“Mindmixer”]Disappeared with the advent of the internet, I’m afraid.

So, I just wonder if the TECRO will check when I send in my visa app. I figure that I should simply put in ‘yes’ to avoid the hassle, but the above post makes me wonder if I shouldn’t take a landing visa, hit off to HK, fill it out with a ‘no’ and come back… any thoughts? :wanker: (He’s rolling dice, not being a wanker…)[/quote]

It’s pretty sad :frowning: but only if you’re bad hehehehe[/quote]
Or if you spend all your time lying, trying to circumvent the rules…etc. :s

See, I would agree in the US. Be honest on your app, they’ll call the references, and there’s a possibility.

In the ROC, it might be completely different… at some point in future, they could* choose to deport all foreigners known to have a criminal record or detain them all, etc. So, it’s a bit of a thought for me.

Any other opinions? :slight_smile:

[quote=“Mindmixer”]See, I would agree in the US. Be honest on your app, they’ll call the references, and there’s a possibility.

In the ROC, it might be completely different… at some point in future, they could* choose to deport all foreigners known to have a criminal record or detain them all, etc. So, it’s a bit of a thought for me.

Any other opinions? :slight_smile:[/quote]
I would much rather take the chance of being rejected before investing in an airplane ticket, spending money to set up house in Taiwan, and getting settled in then getting booted out of the country when some person actually did their job. As was mentioned earlier, with the Internet your chance of getting caught are growing every day.

You make a very valid point. I appreciate your response.

But what I keep thinking to myself is that, if they are only checking the CCRD for 5 years back, why should I worry about anything more than 10 years back?

However, I have to process it in the next few days, so I’ll probably take your advice and see whether they approve it. :slight_smile:

Keep your fingers crossed! lol

does this criminal record thingy apply to convictions regarded as ‘spent’ in your home country?

Anyone here who knows what this website is about? Does it allow me to apply for the record directly?
e-services.taipei.gov.tw/
hypage.exeHYPAGE=form.htm&s_uid=157005

I have a misdemeanor record from about 10 years ago. I’ve been mostly in Taiwan for about six years now, and I’ve applied for many visas. I always check “no” on the criminal record question and it’s never been a problem. I am Canadian, so I can’t vouch for American offices, but I would imagine it’s the same. Good luck!