Criminal Record - how will the effect me?

For all the ambiguities of the laws in Taiwan you can be fairly sure this is one that they will enforce. Don’t mess around with drugs in Taiwan (unless you want to die).[/quote]

Wrong! In case you are caught with a joint in your pocket, they won’t shoot you - they’ll give you 7 years in the slammer. If you have 2 joints, you’ll get a bullet in the head.[/quote]

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Has this actually ever happened?

in the california legal code, it says “DUI is punishable by a year in prison”…while theoretically it is, almost nobody actually gets this sentence. I spent 2 days in jail… I have noticed in new zealand and the USA that laws tend to be harsher on paper than in their actual practice. I dont know if this is the case in asia, but I did a paper about a year ago on human rights abuses and didnt see taiwan listed as having any executions…although “on paper” they still practice the death sentence. I did this research on the amnesty international website, which lists all countries that practice the death sentence…incidentally though, why is taiwan so harsh on drugs? do they have epidemic level drug problems or something? asian countries seem to be the only first world countries that are really harsh on drugs…america for instance, being caught with marijuana and consequently having to serve time is virtually unheard of (unless you have over an ounce, which is a felony). I dont plan to mess around with stuff in taiwan, so it doesnt matter that they are harsh, it just surprises me that they would have such fascist laws. Canada its practically legal, as well as parts of europe

Wrong. They actually execute people here. I haven’t heard of them executing drug trafficers, but if you were caught with even a small amount of drugs on you, you would likely get a jail sentence and then be booted out once you served your time.

You’re mad if you think they’d execute a foreigner. Just think of the international human rights reputation they’d acquire. I don’t think they’d go for being likened to China, do you?
Deportation is far more likely.

[quote]Just think of the international human rights reputation they’d acquire[/quote]You mean worse than the reputation it’s already got ? Or maybe Taiwan will get the reputation it deserves ? I know how important my life is to the government here,

They will execute a foreigner here. The nationalist streak will come up in them. Moreover, if the death penalty is used on locals here, not using it on foreigners with the excuse that they are foreigners would be unfair.

BTW I’m against the death penalty, but don’t want to be dragged into a discussion here.

[quote=“Mr He”]They will execute a foreigner here. The nationalist streak will come up in them. Moreover, if the death penalty is used on locals here, not using it on foreigners with the excuse that they are foreigners would be unfair.

BTW I’m against the death penalty, but don’t want to be dragged into a discussion here.[/quote]

So, to the best of our collective knowledge, no foreigner has, as of yet, been executed?

Could this be another first we could compete for? :laughing:

Paogao? :wink:

Yeah, Poagao. shoot a few people - at least you know how to handle a gun - but wait! Poagao is no foreigner,he’s an ROC citizen…

No, let’s set one of them overposters up. Rascal, Sandman, or TOE SAVE!

[quote=“Mr He”]Yeah, Poagao. shoot a few people - at least you know how to handle a gun - but wait! Poagao is no foreigner,he’s an ROC citizen…

No, let’s set one of them overposters up. Rascal, Sandman, or TOE SAVE![/quote]

Can we webcast my execution? Charge money for it…my family can’t afford the cost of a bullet…

Malaysia hasn’t thought twice about executing foreigners for drug charges. Japan and Thailand have had no shame about keeping first world foreigners imprisoned under abusive conditions for drug charges. I contend that if a foreigner were caught dealing drugs (which is actually the capital offense, rather than simple possession), Taiwan would have to punish him to the full extent of the law in order to save face in the world community. If not, then they’re soft, and bend under the pressure of countries higher up the food chain. That looks bad. I’m sure that’s Malaysia, Thailand, and Japan’s rationale too.

If the charge were simply possession of a small amount of pot for personal use, I think you’d just get deported swiftly and silently, and would have a hell of a time ever getting a visa to come back. That plus your name and ugly mug all over the media, as a warning to other wayward foreigners.