Cross cultural relationships survey

Hi,

I’m conducting a survey on cross cultural relationships on http://www.incku.com/survey/index.php?sid=48277 and would appreciate your help.

The background for this is posted on http://www.filination.com/blog/2008/12/12/exploring-culture-differences-cross-culture-relationships-questionnaire/ :

Isn’t it a bit rude to ask people to spend time on something without saying who you are - as in a real name - and the purpose of the survey?

Yeah. Who are you? What are you studying? What will you use the results for?

I was prepared to do it, until I found out that you wanted written answers to your questions. I just don’t have the time (or maybe it’s the inclination) to write “essay-style” answers for surveys like this. Sorry. :neutral:

It seems so rare that I see a survey that is well thought out.

Are they really that hard to do?

Ah, nothing like the famous forumosian cynicism. :notworthy:
I provided a link to my personal blog detailing who I am and what I’m about. The survey itself tells a bit more on the welcome screen.

Still, since last thing I want is for anyone to think me rude : I’m Fili, an Israeli studying for a PhD in NCKU (Tainan). Study is meant to gain insights in the field of cross-cultural psychology.

No need to participate if you’re not interested. Some people seem to like sharing their thoughts and feelings about what they’re going through. Some people hope to hear a bit more about the results when we’re done.

This open questionnaire extends a survey already conducted in other countries with similar to exactly the same format. Open questions are meant to allow you to answer with whatever you see fit without limiting you to a 1-7 scale on pre-thought concepts and ideas. Qualitative survey, as far as surveys can ever be qualitative.

Would be happy to answer any other questions, if you have any :slight_smile:

Yours,
Fili

I participated. I thought the questions were pretty good - not invasive nor offensive - and it wasn’t written in a way to pigeon-hole one in to responding a certain way.

We’re probably not the typical cross-cultural relationship couple you’re after, but hope the answers are still helpful.

Good luck.

Thanks, 914.

Pleasant survey to do. Hope you find the info useful!

J

[quote=“filination”]Hi,

I’m conducting a survey on cross cultural relationships on http://www.incku.com/survey/index.php?sid=48277 and would appreciate your help.
[/quote]

What degree of cultural difference are you looking for? E.g. my wife and I are both born and raised in North-America but from different cultures. (News flash for those who need it: there is more than one culture in North-America.) Of course, that’s different than, for instance, a couple in which one spouse is American and the other Taiwanese.

Are “yes” or “no” questions any use to you? Like maoman, I’m not prepared to write essay type answers to a subject to which I’ve never given much thought. My old lady’s a woman, fer chrissakes! FEMALE! That EASILY trumps ANY kind of “cultural differences” we might have and makes them pale into the utter insignificance that they have for me.

[quote=“filination”]Hi,

The background for this is posted on http://www.filination.com/blog/2008/12/12/exploring-culture-differences-cross-culture-relationships-questionnaire/ :

[quote]
My main area of interest in recent years has been the topic of cross-cultural dynamics and interactions. I’m completely fascinated by cultural differences and similarities, and looking into what happens when people of different cultures get together.

I imagine there is no closer interaction than that of being in a relationship, and so exploring cross-cultural relationships of two people from two different cultures is probably one of the more unique and extreme instances of cross cultural situations. Those are often very close, relatively long lasting, quite emotional, mostly positive, where both sides are attracted to one another with a sense of commitment.

To get a better understanding of cross-cultural relationships, I’ve setup an open online questionnaire.

* If you are currently in a cross-cultural relationship of over 3 months please help by answering this questionnaire.
* If you know of any other people who might be interested in this survey, please forward the questionnaire link to them.
* If you have a blog or you’re an active participant in a forum, it would be highly appreciated if you write about the survey and ask people to participate. If you’ll let me know you did that, I’ll link back to you with a thank you note.

I will share key findings and results with those indicating in the survey that they’re interested and will also write about some of that in this blog. I promise to protect the complete privacy and anonymity of those participating.

The survey URL : http://www.incku.com/survey/index.php?sid=48277&lang=en

Thank you very much.
[/quote][/quote]

If you are doing this for school, please realize that your mark will be negatively affected if your survey is complex and hard (tedious) to complete.

Over-complicating surveys is a classic grad student mistake.

Enjoy your B-

[quote=“lemur”]
What degree of cultural difference are you looking for? E.g. my wife and I are both born and raised in North-America but from different cultures. (News flash for those who need it: there is more than one culture in North-America.) Of course, that’s different than, for instance, a couple in which one spouse is American and the other Taiwanese.[/quote]

That’s a good point. There’s a tendency to focus on national definitions of culture, although - as you point out, that definition misses out on alot. I guess any cross cultural differences would be interesting. As far as exploratory questions go, this is a good, eh, discussion.

Fili

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]
If you are doing this for school, please realize that your mark will be negatively affected if your survey is complex and hard (tedious) to complete.

Over-complicating surveys is a classic grad student mistake.

Enjoy your B-[/quote]

Thanks for your concern, but it might show a personal bias towards a specific type of quantitative research. Some people find open surveys easier and more interesting to complete.
As far as the complexity of answering the questionnaire, I would personally say it’s much easier than answering other questionnaires with hundreds of 1-7 scale questions. All open questions are not mandatory, and you can focus on the topic you find more interesting for you to answer.

If there was a question hidden in all that sarcasm, then no, this is not for school. The really interesting “research” rarely is.

Fili

[quote=“newoldboy”]Pleasant survey to do. Hope you find the info useful!

J[/quote]

Thanks newoldboy. :thumbsup:

Busy doing it, but I saved and will finish later as I have to go out now…

So what’s it for, then? If I think its a “really interesting” bit of research I might be persuaded to spend some time on it.
I confess I did take a look and filled in one or two yes or no type answers, but it was WAAAAAY too long and was seeking WAAAAAAY too much detail so I very quickly got bored with it and gave up. I cannot imagine that you’ll get more than a handful of people willing to spend the kind of time you seem to require, which means that your sample size is going to be so tiny as to be totally insignificant, won’t it?

Man, that is one heck of a questionnaire! Reminds me of my honours dissertation. Would take about as long to complete.
Perhaps a multiple choice or “yes/no/maybe” would be better. After all, as Sandman says, you want a representative sample, not just the musings of 2-3 kind souls with lots of time on their hands.

[quote=“jimipresley”]Man, that is one heck of a questionnaire! Reminds me of my honours dissertation. Would take about as long to complete.
Perhaps a multiple choice or “yes/no/maybe” would be better. After all, as Sandman says, you want a representative sample, not just the musings of 2-3 kind souls with lots of time on their hands.[/quote]

:sunglasses: Glad you like it.
Representative sample is obviously not a concern for this survey. It’s more about developing themes and concepts regarding cross-cultural dynamics.

Fili

[quote=“filination”][quote=“jimipresley”]Man, that is one heck of a questionnaire! Reminds me of my honours dissertation. Would take about as long to complete.
Perhaps a multiple choice or “yes/no/maybe” would be better. After all, as Sandman says, you want a representative sample, not just the musings of 2-3 kind souls with lots of time on their hands.[/quote]

:sunglasses: Glad you like it.
Representative sample is obviously not a concern for this survey. It’s more about developing themes and concepts regarding cross-cultural dynamics.

Fili[/quote]
:astonished: