CRT PC monitor

Looking to buy one in Taipei or in close range. Obviously they are not on sale anymore in normal shops with modern gear, so does anybody know a place where I could get one, or perhaps how to look for them online?

I’ve tried looking on bid.yahoo but am not really sure what they are called in Chinese and got only one hit for the phrase “crt 電腦螢幕”.

Try looking in a junkyard… no guarantee that they will be working though.

Near Sunshine Park there is giant store with with lots of them. Maybe someone will know the exact address. Want to play light gun games?

1 Like

Looked for “crt” on Shopee. Several are for sale. Or look for “映像管電視”.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tips. Will definitely look for this store. Didn’t know about Shopee, sadly it seems good people of TW wised up to the CRT craze and put silly scalping prices on these available units. Some others are “rental” only…funny, wonder who would’ve bothered. TV people?

As for why, not so much for ligthgun games, just my retro gaming in general, since I can do it only on CRTs. I switched from RPi to MiSTer and this thing doesn’t do composite or S-video in a straightforward manner. Therefore my choice of consumer TVs is very limited here in Taiwan, since they mostly allow composite only. So, now I’m also looking for CRT TVs with component inputs.

CRTs are very “hot” right now, go figure.

You could consider getting an AV (composite or s-video) to HDMI converter instead. They seem to be cheap. Look for “AV轉HDMI”.

It’s not the same for some applications.

Have you tried Ruten? It’s the best for niche stuff like this.

Also 綠盟3C on Bade Road in Taipei I think have a few.

1 Like

Lots of people use those pico laser projectors that scan the screen for retro gaming. One highly recommended one was a Sony, but I can’t remember model names/numbers. If you have a dark room, you could consider one.

Ok, so now I got my DE10 Board from Terasic, meaning my MiSTer side is operational and now I just need the display. I’ve been scanning the ads via ruten / shopee/ bid.yahoo but there aren’t many options really. They have mostly TVs, and none with component inputs in range or within reasonable price.

I tried to locate the “綠盟3C on Bade Road” and if it’s one of these 2 big multi storey behemoths full of electronics, then they don;t have anything like that. Sunshine Park is a bit out of range for me, but if somebody knew exact adrdress I could maybe go there too.

Any more tips would be appreciated. Do you know more any stores with second hand appliances? I’ve checked out some on XiaMen St in Guting but they only have ACs, washing machines etc. Though I did find one cute small TV too (but again, composite only)