Cruise Ship Quarantines - Coronavirus 2020

Because the another cruiser with infected people stopped here for couple hours, and also the ban was already in place. So, they needed to run a little show.

Now I can imagine all Taiwanese whining together saying: - We did nothing, why all of you are mean to us, let us go!! (Tantrum mode activated)

3 Likes

Actually, this was a little bit more than a drill. There were passengers with history of travel to China…well beyond the 14 day limit.

Testing was done at a high end lab only focused on that.

The other option was to let the passengers disembark without any fanfare. That wouldn’t fly. They got out two days before all cruise ships were stopped from coming in.

If it makes you feel better, in Taiwan, they disinfected the rooms, the ship, the stairs they used, the buses and ambulances, the tires, the air around it as far as they could…

Yes, the problem of self quarantine is serious. Yes, there are many gaps and many selfish jerks who make the news. Not wearing a mask and coughing will get you a place in the news.

A boss came from Shenzhen, instead of staying in quarantine, went to work and did not tell the employees to wear masks. Moreover, one employee called 1922 to inform them of her boss escape…And was fired for it.

There are students coming back from China, going to class and insisting not to wear masks.

There are travelers on planes who show fever or cough and refuse to wear masks.

Yep, they are really pushing the freedom in this country.

Oh and regarding the new cases, the last son of the family who went to Italy tested positive. So that’s 4 in one.

5 Likes

And how dos the boys know who called? :ponder:

BTW, happy cake day to you, @Icon!

1 Like

But, but Chinese can not enter Taiwan.

1 Like

Taiwanese students.

Here are some more news updates on the Diamond Princess ship quarantined in Yokohama.

The American lady who was pictured in the market area of Keelung is Rebecca Frasure, 35 years old, from Forest Park, Oregon, USA, a suburb of Portland Oregon. Her husband Kent Frasure is on the cruise with her as well. She tested positive for the Coronavirus and was removed from the ship and is currently being treated in a hospital in Japan. Her husband Kent did not test positive and he remains in their state room on the ship.

I have reached out to Kent Frasure and I am waiting for him to hopefully reply to the message of support I sent him and his wife. Additionally, I asked him if he would be willing to share with me where they went while they were here in Taiwan for the 12 hours the ship was docked here. If I receive a response, I’ll be sure to share anything I learn. Although I sent him a direct personal text message to his cell phone, he might not respond to me as he’s actually received some threatening messages from America via Facebook.

This video shows the moment Rebecca Frasure was contacted by a Japanese nurse and removed from the ship. Her husband Kent gives a very good interview.

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2020/02/07/coronavirus-diamond-princess-quarantined-cruise-ship-us-patient-ripley-pkg-intl-ldn-vpx.cnn

Here are some other video and news reports on the Frasures and others stranded on the ship as well.

6 Likes

Hmm…it would appear that they’re not sharing any fluids. :thinking:

Another disturbing part is that the room wasn’t disinfected after Rebecca Frasure was found to be positive with the Coronavirus. Why?

2 Likes

I’m afraid that ship has sailed.

Because they were on a cruise! Eh? EHHHH???

1 Like

On a serious note…As if we didn’t have enough serious issues to discuss already…

BREAKING: An additional 60 passengers aboard the quarantined Diamond Princess cruise ship in Yokohama have tested positive for coronavirus, taking the total from the vessel to 130. Story to come.

Credit to @lostinasia for beating me to the punch by about 30 seconds! LOL

2 Likes

I’ve been in contact with a few people who are stranded on the Diamond Princess cruise ship that is quarantined in Yokohama Harbor.

I’ve also found that there are some passengers who are utilizing Twitter to publish their individual situations whilst under mandatory lockdown in their cabins. Whether or not they can come out of their cabins, the food they are being served, the televised ship entertainment, etc.

It’s very interesting and informative and a lot of the early information about the ship can be gleaned from their postings. It’s a true “reality TV moment”.

I’m not really familiar with how Twitter works exactly, but if you search for the hashtag #diamond princess, you can find some of the people who are there and are sharing their stories.

Maybe some of us Forumosa Twitter users can tweet out our care for these people and show our love and support. We can use hashtag #Forumosa. How about that?

I’m following these specific individuals on Twitter.

Matthew Smith - This guy has a nice stateroom with a balcony. He has been the most prolific poster and has the best attitude for the situation they are in. Lots of pictures and constantly updated information. I check this guy’s feed first.

Kent Frasure - This is the husband of Rebecca Frasure who was diagnosed with the virus and removed from the ship. Rebecca is the lady pictured in the Keelung market with the candied strawberries. Kent remains quarantined on the ship. A couple pictures and a video.

quarantinedondiamondprincess - This individual created this Twitter account for reporting their situation. Always posts good information and updates, but nothing personal. Lots of pictures and some videos.

on board the Diamond Princess - Nothing personal posted, but always keeps updated information posted. This person might be Taiwanese based on their Twitter handle @daxa_tw. But, tweets a lot in Japanese. Lots of sound clips, pictures and videos.

Yardley Wong - Besides herself, husband and child, has other family members in adjacent rooms, but can’t get together with them due to being restricted to their cabins. A lot of personal pictures and videos.

Aun Na Tan - Family of 4 jammed in a room with two bunk beds, inside cabin. Lots of pictures and videos.

Shannon - Shannon Vo with her husband and child. Some pictures.

Lori Cornwall - A few tweets, no personal information or pictures.

K - An American family on the ship. One picture.

Clare Hedger - Clare Hedger from Melbourne Australia. Pictures and updates.

Crew is worried - This person is not on the Diamond Princess, but claims that some of the crew members are his/her friend, so is assisting by posting “reported” crew concerns.

5 Likes

Ugh. Inside cabin - no windows, no natural light, in a cabin that you’re really just meant to be sleeping in. I know that when someone is facing a dangerous virus, being stuck in a windowless cabin may seem a relatively minor part of the problem, but I would be going absolutely insane. Normal stir-crazy insane, sure, but also I think I’d be at risk of whimpering-on-the-floor claustrophobic panic attacks.

Best of luck to all of them.

I hope they have Wi-Fi.

This family has an incredibly positive attitude for dealing with this quarantine. Could you imagine this @lostinasia?

https://twitter.com/qtiepie/status/1226484381830660097/photo/4

https://twitter.com/qtiepie/status/1226700376620974080/photo/1

https://twitter.com/qtiepie/status/1226658962470137856/photo/1

https://twitter.com/qtiepie/status/1226334494707388416/photo/1

https://twitter.com/qtiepie/status/1225963281099247621/photo/1

4 Likes

Good for them. Looks like they’re certainly doing the best they can with a bad situation.

EDIT: Nice design touch with the mirrors. Makes the place look bigger.

2 Likes

The inside cabins WIFI is really, really poor according to reports. There’s a “funny” picture of someone with their cabin door open, with the mobile phone just in the hallway trying to get a good enough signal to download some podcasts, etc. The staterooms with balconies have it way better, not to mention being able to get real air and look outside!

1 Like

Jesus!

1 Like

Well, at least the rooms look nice enough…

If I’m still around when this is over, I’d like to buy some candied strawberries.

I appreciate your contributions, @MalcolmReynolds. Lots of good information.

4 Likes

Here’s that picture I had told you about earlier. So, what’s the verdict? Good WIFI or bad for the interior cabin passengers?

https://twitter.com/clarehedger/status/1225950422776434688/photo/1

Send positive mental energy their way, they need it!

4 Likes