Cryotherapy?

Yes, this study highlights exactly what I’m talking about. Her bias is built into the way she conducts her test to get the results she wants. Her bias is that inflammation is good; therefore she goes out and measures that and when she doesn’t find that in the cold immersion, surprise, surprise, she concludes that it doesn’t work. But come on, some athletes may be, but we aren’t all that stupid, Crystal.

Not only that, she is testing fast-twitching muscles as I was talking about before, the intensity, and not the slow-twitching muscles. They are running downhill, but not sprinting, they would probably be using more slow-twitching than fast-twitching, but then she measures fast-twitching muscles?

I really don’t think she’s an air-head, she’s dishonest, she knows what she’s doing and trying to get these results and fool others. And her statements show she has a real strong bias about this. I don’t know what the politics are on this yet, but it is fascinating.

Besides, she doesn’t notice any difference in the strength, so that’s all the more better for cold-immersion…since other studies show that the fast-twitchers attenuated. But again, that may be because fast-twitchers weren’t really used for the exercise, but measured for the test.

Yeah, this research is definitely depending on the fact that we’re all dumb about science.

True or false @jotham, Is inflammation beneficial to recovery of muscle? I need to get on the same page on if you believe this is true or not.

It depends on how you define recovery of muscles. For most people, yes it does. If you’re wanting to build huge masses of muscles, it seems cold won’t help you achieve that as fast, no matter when you do it.

Does inflammation help heal muscle and promote muscle growth @jotham

It’s the same question. Yes, from what I’m seeing it definitely helps promote slow-twitching muscles, endurance muscles, and perhaps fast-twitching too, but that’s where the controversy lies with some of these studies.

Then why would you do something that prevents inflammation? Besides the points I raised which is for comfort and less pain. I’m not saying icing, or cold water has no place in sports. And honestly for most people, it makes no difference. But for elite athletes, icing and cold baths has become a hot topic and newer trainers and sports doctors have gone out and said they don’t help against the traditional school of thought.

I’m sorry, I wasn’t reading your question right. Thought you meant cold immersion, not inflammation.

I imagine inflammation has a place or the body wouldn’t do it, but I think cold water does something in the body much greater so that inflammation is no longer needed. If cold water renders circulation more efficient and increases white blood cells, then the body should address sore muscles much faster, which is why inflammation can go by the wayside as a healing technique.

Honey does the same thing. If you have inflammation on your skin and put honey on it, the honey actually kills bacteria and stuff, and draws up blood and body fluids to help heal the wound, which is why inflammation goes down immediately.

Dry fasting (without drinking water) also helps the body kill cancers and bacteria, and thus inflammation goes down and not necessary.

If you got inflammation, your body is fighting something really hard, and the use of other substances will help the body, obviating the need for inflammatory responses. Which I think is good and the goal of natural treatments.

Inflammation is your body increasing blood, including white blood cells to the places that need healing. So you are saying cold water, which is a vaso constrictor , meaning makes blood vessels smaller and prevents blood flow to areas the cold water is touching is better for getting blood/WBC to heal vs inflammation?

Any benefits of cold water or icing is purely analgesic from everything I have ever seen.

I’m not sure exactly how it works. It seems cold water expands the use of your ordinary smaller capillaries, which promotes a more youthful circulation. Vasoconstriction will increase blood pressure because of less space, which may help force it into smaller capillaries, and thus more effectively address the body’s urgent needs. That’s what I mean by more efficient circulation.

Hippocrates was using ointments that promoted suppuration, and thus decreased inflammation. He believed that best medicine is to help the body heal itself, which is exactly what cold water does. Which is opposite of what most modern medicine is about, unfortunately.

So instead of letting your body target exactly where inflammation needs to happen and where increase circulation of blood/WBC needs to go. Ice baths or CWI which you are almost entirely submerged in cold water is going to target to parts that need blood more efficiently? I don’t think so. And plus, all the studies have controlled temperature in a controlled environment and time submerged. Do you think an average person can always get it right? too cold and you do some real damage like hypothermia or worst. Not cold enough and it does nothing.

Inflammation is letting your body naturally heal itself… isn’t jumping into a cold tub wayyyyy more unnatural? And of course he would have thought it worked for the same reason i mentioned above. Cold water lessens the pain. But again, thats not the same as recovering.

The body knows how to target, but cold water can help the body by constricting arteries and rendering capillaries more efficient, so the body response is more efficient.

If you regularly expose yourself to cold water, it isn’t painful. Problem is, most of us always shower with warm or hot water in modern days, and have adapted, so that cold feels uncomfortable to us. Hundred years ago, if you wanted to bathe, it was the river, people didn’t think about it being uncomfortable.

Same with teeth, really cold water can make them hurt, which means teeth aren’t as strong as they ought to be. Regularly brushing with cold water or swishing it around until your teeth adjust, for several days or weeks, will strengthen your teeth, decrease inflammation in the gums, increase circulation to the roots, etc.

Improves Blood Flow

Cold showers have many benefits and they all start with the capillaries. Capillaries are often overlooked when it comes to blood vessels and most of the attention goes to arteries and veins.

Capillaries are the most important part of the blood vessels because they directly feed cells oxygen and nutrients, and cold showers help strengthen capillaries so they can more effectively supply them to cells.

Cold showers strengthen capillaries by causing them to constrict, stopping leakage of oxygen and nutrients and improving the quality of blood circulation.

Taking cold showers is like giving your capillaries a workout and therefore make them stronger. Cold showers also improve blood circulation by promoting blood to surround organs.

Reverses Water Retention

Water retention occurs when there isn’t normal pressure in the capillaries which causes capillaries to release too much fluid. Fluid is released in between cells and accumulates there.

The unstable pressure also makes it difficult for fluid to properly return to capillaries for removal.

Cold shower shower tighten and strengthen capillaries which helps to stop leakage and to promote proper removal of water from cells and in between cells.

http://www.naturallifeenergy.com/cold-shower-benefits/

I understand what you are trying to say, but taking a cold shower is not the same as an ice bath. Wouldn’t it be more efficient for your body to target the part that needs blood flow for recovery vs all the capillaries?
There is new treatment for serious injuries such as ligament tear that takes your own blood and concentrates RBC/WBC and GF to inject into the site that needs recovery. Are you saying targeting the part that needs treatment the most is less efficient than a systematic way of getting more blood flow everywhere? I’m not saying youre wrong on cold water helping blood flow to parts that normally don’t get much blood flowing in and back to the hear to. I’m saying your body’s natural targeting inflammation to the parts that urgently needs it is more efficient.

Also, an old trick for soreness and recovery is a light jog if you want blood flow to the capillaries. As an athlete, I was always told a light jog even when I’m sore opens all the capillaries and gets blood in and out of there. Worst thing for being sore is not being active from what I was always told

My other issue is, I think for CWI or cold water, your body might actually do the opposite. When the conditions are cold enough, your body takes the blood flow back away from the capillaries back into the important internal organs. Hypothermia sets in. CWI certainly is cold enough to induce hypothermia so I’m skeptical about CWI having the effect you are saying.

Without your body’s targeting mechanism, you couldn’t survive. Cold immersion isn’t a substitute for the targeting mechanism; it works with it. I’m not saying has to be a shower, ice bath is good, it’s actually better as it exposes the skin more efficiently. Some of those articles are just general health, not specific injuries, but the principle is the same. You could probably get many benefits from a foot bath on the whole body if you do it enough, but of course with inflammation, you would want to expose that part.

I think if there is a natural way to help your body help itself, I think that would be superior to injections or surgery or modern medicines. I’ve seen too many relative and friends who’ve been drugged by doctors, and perpetually it seems. I don’t like it at all.

Also, an old trick for soreness and recovery is a light jog if you want blood flow to the capillaries. As an athlete, I was always told a light jog even when I’m sore opens all the capillaries and gets blood in and out of there. Worst thing for being sore is not being active from what I was always told

Yes, I’ve heard this too. Sounds good. There are countless natural things to help. Not just one.

My other issue is, I think for CWI or cold water, your body might actually do the opposite. When the conditions are cold enough, your body takes the blood flow back away from the capillaries back into the important internal organs. Hypothermia sets in. CWI certainly is cold enough to induce hypothermia so I’m skeptical about CWI having the effect you are saying.

Yes, blood flows inwards to the core organs. But that is just the initial response. As you get used to the temperature, or when you get out of the cold, blood flow is facilitated.

You wouldn’t want to do too much so that hypothermia sets in. Shower for 10 minutes max. Not sure about ice baths, since the exposure is limited. If you do it regularly, your threshold increases and you can take it more, which means you’re stronger.

I had not heard of this before. Professional athletes use cyrohelmets to diminish the effects of head injuries and concussions.

This is an interview with Kevin Jackson, former University of Illinois football player and Senior Researcher at the Beckman Institute. Kevin discusses his work as a concussion spotter for the University’s football team and his research on head and neck cooling to combat brain injuries. Kevin can be seen modeling the Catalyst Cryohelmet during the video.

Hear professional baseball catcher Rene Rivera talk about why he and his family ice their heads using the Cryohelmet.

Hi Lotus
Have you ever used full body cryotherapy to treat a multiple sclerosis patient?
Thanks

That’s quite interesting post actually. I hadn’t heard about cryotherapy before. I will look into it now :slight_smile:

To Synge: No I haven’t used full body cryotherapy to treat patients before. I only use it on localized lesions to treat wart and solar lentigo lesions in my dermatology practice. My hospital thought about buying a full body cryogen tank last year but thought this niche market is too small. Business model would not be sustainable.

Came to this website to look for a cryotherapy in Taipei. I’m from LA and have done cryotherapy before ($35/per session). The only place that I was able to find that has “cryotherapy” is at Taipei Medical University Hospital. Here is the link https://english.tmuh.org.tw/Department/11
When I have time, I will shoot them an email to see.