Cryptocurrency in Taiwan

Hi All,

What are the regulations like in Taiwan when it comes to cryptocurrency trading? Do any of you guys trade crypto in Taiwan? I’m thinking about converting USD $10k~$100k amount of crypto to fiat, and hopefully receive the fiat in my Taiwan bank account.

Don’t know sorry. You may ask Bitoex or Maicoin.

I asked the exact same question yesterday , welcome to the club :slight_smile: I was advised to use Maicoin, but curious to see if I could just transfer money from Bitstamp.

When I did was better to use Bitstamp, better price and you can wire to a USD or EUR account in Taiwan, I did that but I didn’t use Bitstamp because in that time was not working. But about Taiwan regulations not idea I will like to know as well.

500k nt plus they will start asking more questions and flag transfers into taiwan. They will check where its from and ask you details on that. Not sure how digital currencies realisticly work legally, but just off the bat that alone raises flags so be good to have your story line up. Choosing banks that arent filled with entitled dicks would be a good move (private). They tend to be far more respectful and reasonable.

Any updates on this? Did anyone have success using crypto to transfer money from their home.country to Taiwan? I am still navigating the process, and how it would work (especially on the withdrawal in Taiwan side).

How about using Charles Schwab Checking with unlimited refund on foreign transaction fee?
Withdrawal is limited based on ATM and the account limit.
Pair this with credit card that has no foreign transaction fee as well.
Bofa Visa Travel Rewards.
Too large of amount will be wired, worth the fee?
Not crypto related.

MaiCoin no longer accepts Americans because of US regulations. Not sure about anyone else. It’s more expensive, but you can do person-to-person transfers. $100k might be a stretch, though.

1 Like

You can connect a TW bank account to your BitoEx account. Withdrawing should work that way. I haven’t tried it myself yet though.

Interesting read.

1 Like

Nice run through of Tether’s history in Taiwan, and some very enjoyable ragging on Taiwan’s geriatric banking system.

1 Like

Cool I knew they had a lot of connections with Taiwan ,hard to get any info about Tether.

I think most of the info discussed is out there, however I did not know that CEO of Bitfinex/Tether “JLVDV” was a lecturer at NTU. They clearly identified a weakness in KYC with Mega Bank and exploited it.

1 Like

I always suspected the megabank fine was probably linked to Tether. But it’s not only Tether for sure if they are connected to that fine.
And we know drugs money was going through Panama…Not that we know if that was related to this fine either (and not related to Tether).

It’s true that Taiwan banks would ask what is the source of this funds when you transferring money in and out back in the day. But that’s all they would ask.

1 Like

After their Taiwan banking arrangement blew up, I believe Tether’s next banking relationship was in Panama, with Crypto Capital Corp. And they were bona fide money launderers.

1 Like

Around that time HSBC got nailed for running funds out of Panama for drug organizations.

Which reminds me…What’s the source of those USD backing those tethers again ? :grin::laughing:

1 Like

HSBC’s name is in the dirt now.

1 Like

A lot of USD floating around…

I can’t resist - probably China billionaire money/loans. And probably a lot of phony accounting.

Edit - oh I see your point. Wherever it is coming from, it is most likely dodgy!

1 Like
1 Like