Crystal Spoon at 101 -- Avoid!

So, I went to the Crystal Spoon Thai restaurant on the 4th floor of 101 tonight. I was seated in a way that I could see right into the kitchen via the serving counter. And all night I watched the chef take used rice bowls (you know the silver things they give you at Thai restaurants here for your rice) and dump their remainders BACK INTO THE RICE COOKER. I saw him doing it all night and we complained to the management, who ADMITTED (although a little red-faced) they were doing that and they gave us a 10% discount on our bill. Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!! :help:

I donā€™t get the problem. Just kidding. That sounds horrible but I bet they arenā€™t the only recycling outfit in town. :noway:

Well, you know, anything to save a couple bucks. I think Iā€™ll be eating at home for a while.

Damn Flicka, you should have started talking to them about Next and Apple Daily. Probably would have got your meal for free.
That is disgusfuckingting!

Flicka:[quote]
ā€¦dump their remainders BACK INTO THE RICE COOKER[/quote]
OK, now youā€™ve established that you were dining in Taiwan, how was the food?

[quote=ā€œwolf_reinholdā€]Flicka:[quote]
ā€¦dump their remainders BACK INTO THE RICE COOKER[/quote]
OK, now youā€™ve established that you were dining in Taiwan, how was the food?[/quote]

Oh, it was standard Thai-restaurant-in-Taiwan fare. The rice tasted a little recycled, though.

I believe that is the new, easily digestible kindā€¦

Not really my style to slag off another restaurant/Pub but I have invited a group of guys that participated in the pool competition to this establishment two weeks ago. It was absolutely terrifying food, ice water that must have come straight out of the Keelung river, totally incompetent service (believe it or not, worse than at the Tavern). We were served dishes we never ordered, others we ordered were never delivered! We tried to eat the food but gave up after a few bites! PFUI TEUFEL!

I had eaten at Crystal Spoon before and thought the food was good, but after reading that I am not sure I will go back again ā€¦

Probably prepared and served to you by English teachers and their friends. Serves you right! :raspberry:

The Crystal Spoon? Is there something homosexual about this place?

That reminds me of my wonderful experience at Crystal Spoon. My daughter can be quite a handful and while trying to wrangle her into sitting down, the back of my chair snapped right off. The food is pretty mediocre anyways, and they try so hard to make it seem hip that the style is cliche. They seem to think that Thai food is only about spice, not flavor. Thereā€™s much better Thai out there. Anywhere.

Crystal Spoon? Sounds like the street name for a heroin dealer ā€¦

1 Like

From Taipeiā€™s DOH:

The Taipei City Department of Healthā€™s Business Sanitation Inspectors visited the Crystal Spoon Thai Restaurant after receiving your complaint. The restaurant admitted to serving recycled rice to customers. Additionally, the restaurant was found to be in violation of several other sanitation codes. The management of Crystal Spoon Thai Restaurant has been ordered to make immediate improvements to correct their business practices. Sanitary conditions at Crystal Spoon will now be monitored very closely. The Department of Health has already scheduled follow up inspections of Crystal Spoon in the near future.

Got any contact info for these guys Flicka? Useful to know for when I want to be a pesky furriner. Unbelievable though ā€“ not so much the rice recycling, disgusting though it is, but the fact that the sanitation fellows actually investigated your complaint AND gave you feedback.
Things do seem to be changing around here ā€¦

Got any contact info for these guys Flicka? Useful to know for when I want to be a pesky furriner. Unbelievable though ā€“ not so much the rice recycling, disgusting though it is, but the fact that the sanitation fellows actually investigated your complaint AND gave you feedback.
Things do seem to be changing around here ā€¦[/quote]

My e-mail was from:
å½­ē“¹ē† joselyne@health.gov.tw

And ccā€™d to these people:
ēŽ‹ē¾©č³¢ daniel@health.gov.tw, å¼µē© emergency@health.gov.tw, 何éŗ—莉 lily@health.gov.tw, 鄭萬金 tonycwc@health.gov.tw, ꞗē§€äŗ® hsiulian@health.gov.tw

Things do seem to be changing around here ā€¦[/quote]

My e-mail was from:
å½­ē“¹ē† joselyne@health.gov.tw

And ccā€™d to these people:
ēŽ‹ē¾©č³¢ hsiulian@health.gov.tw

I am pretty impressed in how serious they took my complaint as well. Good for them.

It is indeed very impressive but given the amount of cc copies you sent out they had littlle choice as they are all covering their own backs too just in case it spiralled out of control (for them). They are protecting their own jobs and minimising ā€˜loss of faceā€™ risk. But good on you Flicka, nonetheless. A fine a example of how to get the beaurocratic behemoth to budge.

[quote=ā€œFlickaā€]From Taipeiā€™s DOH:

The Taipei City Department of Healthā€™s Business Sanitation Inspectors visited the Crystal Spoon Thai Restaurant after receiving your complaint. The restaurant admitted to serving recycled rice to customers. Additionally, the restaurant was found to be in violation of several other sanitation codes. The management of Crystal Spoon Thai Restaurant has been ordered to make immediate improvements to correct their business practices. Sanitary conditions at Crystal Spoon will now be monitored very closely. The Department of Health has already scheduled follow up inspections of Crystal Spoon in the near future.[/quote]
Sorry to ask what may sound like a stupid question, but thereā€™s a lot of tongue-in-cheek stuff in here:

Is that text something that youā€™d LIKE to receive from DOH (a proposal to them from you) or is it actually something that you received in response to you contacting them? Iā€™m wondering for the same reasons behind Sandmanā€™s comment, and also because the English is so good that it seems questionable. ??

Sorry, something strange has been going on with my posts lately. I reply to what appears to be the final post in a thread, and when my contribution is attached, it is attached at the end of many more posts, thereby seeming out of place and behind the conversation. I donā€™t understand what the deal is. Mod?