CSB a Traitor?

[quote]http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/135031/1/.html

“I will leave the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) and tender my resignation to Chen…,” Koo Kuan-min told reporters.

“I can’t stand the fact that Chen met People First Party Chairman James Soong and signed a joint statement with him,” Koo said.

Two other pro-independence advisers - Ng Chiau-tong, chairman of World United Formosans for Independence, and Wu Li-pei, president of the Formosa Foundation - have also offered to quit

Legislators from the ultra pro-independence Taiwan Solidarity Union have threatened to recall Chen branding him “a traitor”, [/quote]
Looks like nobody like CSB right now. The deep pan-Greens thinks he is a traitor to the cause. Deep pan-Blues never like CSB TI antics.

So is CSB going to become a Status Quo supporter now?

Well, Chen didn’t get to be president without being a politician. I don’t see what more the pro-indepence types can ask. Chen made the big gamble in the last legislative election for the cause and got a BIG rebuff. Maybe they would prefer Ma be the next president. I don’t suppose their candidate will have much of a chance. It’s all noise, by and large they will have to support the DPP anyway.

It makes sense for the DPP, a “reasonable” stance improves their election chances, they haven’t committed to give up the ship, and they put pressure on the KMT. I tend to think the latter and only the latter reason matters to Soong.

You can piss and bitch all you want AC, he’s still going to be the president, no matter how much you hate him.

This could be the beginning of a TSU and KMT alliance to remove CSB from office in the near future.

What’re they going to do, have Lien shoot himself in the stomach? :unamused:

Could it be that we are having another Lee Teng Hui style betrayal on Taiwan? Oh the absolutely delicious irony of it all. By the way, today’s editorial on the Taipei Times calls Chen Shui Bian an apostate. :smiley:

Well at least no one is branding him a judas.

But read these lines of a pan-Green in total frustation and disbelief of the reality of the sitution:

[quote]
taipeitimes.com/News/edit/ar … 2003224934

The anger over the “10-point betrayal” as it should henceforth be called, is palpable, so much so that some even say Chen should somehow be impeached.

…he has declined to take part in 228 memorial activities today, thereby managing to insult the innocent dead so that he can collaborate with the living guilty. Chen’s capacity for doing the dishonorable thing is bottomless.

Certainly Chen deserves to be tossed ignominiously out of office.

If readers will forgive us the mixture of doctrinal metaphors, Taiwanese nationalism needs its Church Militant now more than ever. [/quote]

Is CSB the new martyr for Status Quo.

The head would win them more votes.

What I find most disturbing is that the deep pan-Greens want to invoke Christian fanaticism to the TI cause, not to mention punish their democratic leader for looking to a middle group.

I have rarely heard within the population

[quote=“ac_dropout”]I have rarely heard within the population

So CSB is pissing off extremists on both sides? Sounds like he must be doing something right :laughing:

Seriously, I think CSB has realised that the amount of noise the extremists make is way more than their popularity justifies. If there was some radical shift in Taiwan politics from a unification/independence split to a moderate/loony split, there’d be only one winner.

Anyway, for all the talk of CSB ‘selling out’ his independence ideals - exactly how has he changed his position? The 10-point agreement with Soong seemed to be echoing what he’d been saying for 4.5 years: no declaration of independence, etc. is not exactly a new position for him.

[quote=“david”][quote=“ac_dropout”]I have rarely heard within the population

No it doesn’t. It looks like a tiny handful of extremists on either side don’t like him – but then, they never did. Plus ca change, plus ca meme chose.
He’s pissed off the TSU? God, he must be positively quaking in his shoes! My goodness, I bet the New Party doesn’t like him, either. Now THAT’S a terrifying thought. :unamused:

They’re not mad at the ten-points. They could have come up with anything or nothing; they’re just mad that they met at all.

I think that Chen did the right thing, acting in the best interests of Taiwan and the majority of people living here.

And no matter what the hardline pro-independence and pro-unification elements may think or say, I’m sure the far greater number of Taiwanese who occupy the political ground between those extremes feel more positive than otherwise about about what he did.

The Koo Kwang-mings, Alice Kings, and others of their ilk may boo, hiss, and turn their backs on Chen in a huff, but I’m sure few people will give a damn about them or their antics, while far more will be glad enough to see the back of them and their mischievous influence. Let them scuttle off to Japan, the U.S. or wherever it is they bask in their luxurious lives when they’re not visiting Taiwan to stir up trouble. However much they may delude themselves, they do not represent the Taiwanese people any more than Mao Ze-dong or Chiang Kai-shek ever did, and they have no right at all to assert that Chen’s failure to adhere unwaveringly to their narrow and selfish agenda amounts to any kind of betrayal of Taiwan.

I don’t have a very high opinion of Chen, and I look forward to his being replaced by Hsieh, Su or Ma, as I’m sure that any of those three will be a much better president; but I have no doubts at all about the wisdom and appropriateness of his meeting with the loathsome Soong and making the ten-point agreement.

On 2/28 did anyone notice that CSB spoke Mandarin in addressing the crowd who subsequently booed his ass and told him they didn’t understand him and speak in Taiyu?

Now in the news, he’s repudiated Taidu.

A lot of headscratching … the deep greens I know feel sold out by CSB. Hey, what do you know, it’s politics as usual…blue, green, orange, pink whatever… it’s Taiwan :loco: :laughing: :laughing:

Those TI supporters are all so ungrateful. It was CSB that gave these people their beloved victimization holiday of 228.

I sometimes wonder why CSB doesn’t brand these TI supporters as “traitors.” By strict definition TI supporters don’t even believe in the State of ROC.

Taiwanese are not ungrateful for all the things our PResident has done in the past; we are disgusted that he has sold out to James Soong, the man who engineered the Kaoshiung incident and to his Pan-Orange agenda.

By definition any Taiwanese who supports the ROC is a traitor because Taiwan is in fact a Taiwanese Republic.

But that is the natural order of things on Taiwan. Those of lesser ability and background will need to assistance of those with better backgrounds to get anything done on Taiwan.

CSB knows his real position in Taiwan society, which is why he still needs to speak his broken mandarin in public.

Okay time to put down the pipe dream, even CSB crushed the aboriginal political movement on Taiwan.

But that is the natural order of things on Taiwan. Those of lesser ability and background will need to assistance of those with better backgrounds to get anything done on Taiwan.

CSB knows his real position in Taiwan society, which is why he still needs to speak his broken Mandarin in public.

Okay time to put down the pipe dream, even CSB crushed the aboriginal political movement on Taiwan.[/quote]

Those with lesser ability and background? that point is questionable. CSB speaks Mandarin because it is Taiwan’s official language and due to KMT-imposed education everyone speak it.

ROC is but a shell for a Taiwanese Republic, the only reason it is still there is because of the PLA and you know it.