CSB goes to Libya

Might be interesting to some of you. CSB has made a transit stop in Libya and met with some of Gaddafi’s family.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4760471.stm

Saw this on the tv tonight.
Pretty fucking weird. WTF was he thinkin’?
Oil? Sand? $$$'s?

Soccer?

Should have stopped by GErmany then.

Seriously, what I get a kick out of is KMT legislators who are whining that Chen visited a NON-DEMOCRATIC country and that the difference between the two is that Taiwan is democratic. True enough. So, why the pilgrimmages to China by Pan-Blue leaders? The utter hypocrisy is amazing!

ludahai, Gadhafi is part-owner of Juventus…

well, maybe he went to get knowledge on how to face the biggest empires of the world with a smile on the face… surelly Ghadafi knows a lot about that…

Or maybe CSB is trying to take a share on the Lybian oil, so that the poor taiwanese who have cars don’t have to pay so much for the gas…

Maybe he’s buying the nuclear weapons technology that China sold to Libya? :smiley:

at least, they could read the manual

Chen, as quoted in today’s TT:

As for Muaammar Qaddafi, from whom Chen expects a rich harvest:

[quote]Throughout the 1970s, his regime was implicated in subversion and terrorist activities in both Arab and non-Arab countries. By the mid-1980s, he was widely regarded in the West as the principal financier of international terrorism. Reportedly, Gaddafi was a major financier of the “Black September Movement” which perpetrated the 1972 Munich Olympics massacre, and is accused by the United States of being responsible for direct control of the 1986 Berlin discotheque bombing that killed 3 people and wounded more than 200 others, of which a substantial number were U.S. servicemen. He is also said to have paid “Carlos the Jackal” to kidnap and then release a number of the Saudi Arabian and Iranian oil ministers. . .

Libya’s involvement with and support for terrorism were confirmed in late 1987 when a merchant vessel, the MV Eksund, was intercepted by the Irish Navy. Destined for the IRA, a large consignment of arms and explosives supplied by Libya was recovered from the Eksund. British intelligence believed this was not the first and that previous Libyan arms shipments had got through to the IRA.

For most of the 1990s, Libya endured economic sanctions and diplomatic isolation as a result of Gaddafi’s refusal to allow the extradition to the United States or Britain of two Libyans accused of planting a bomb on Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland. . .

In August 2003, two years after Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi’s conviction, Libya formally accepted responsibility for the Lockerbie bombing. Gaddafi agreed to pay compensation of up to $2.7 billion

Oh, I think you missed the best part of the article.

Well, there’s something to be proud of.

So what? Being a friend of the islamic world is not so bad is it? Better being friend than enemy… at least you feel safer…

[quote=“cctang”]Oh, I think you missed the best part of the article.

Well, there’s something to be proud of.[/quote]

Considering China’s best friends are Burma, North Korea, Pakistan, Sudan and increasingly Iran, supporters of Communist China don’t have a leg to stand on, especially considering China is one of the most opressive nations in the world.

Also, I believe Ghaddafi has foresworn terror and VOLUNTARILY gave up his nuclear program.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]
Here’s a picture of Chen’s new terrorist pal.

[/quote]
Which one do you mean?

[quote=“ludahai”]
Considering China’s best friends are Burma, North Korea, Pakistan, Sudan and increasingly Iran, supporters of Communist China don’t have a leg to stand on, especially considering China is one of the most opressive nations in the world.

Also, I believe Ghaddafi has foresworn terror and VOLUNTARILY gave up his nuclear program.[/quote]Yes, clearly, China’s political position on the world stage has slipped rapidly over the past two decades. We’re only shadows of our former selves. Much of my words were motivated by what’s clearly an overwhelming jealousy of Ghaddafi’s accomplishments in Libya, and the international good-will that has generated. Intelligent, informed, rational gentlemen such as yourselves are flooding to support Libya’s reformed liberal government, while China lies neglected and abandoned by the international order.

It’s incredibly frustrating to me that Taiwan is so thoroughly out-witting mainland on the international stage.

[quote=“Juba”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]
Here’s a picture of Chen’s new terrorist pal.

[/quote]
Which one do you mean?[/quote]

That was almost funny… almost.

cctang, is Lybia neglected by the international stage? I don’t think so (specially since they have so much oil and natural gas)…

on the other hand…

cnn.com/2006/US/05/15/libya/index.html

maybe Chen acted as a middle guy…

[quote]. WTF was he thinkin’?
Oil? Sand? $$$'s?[/quote]

Given the recent thawing of US-Libyan relations, and the possibility that Libya may get removed from the US Black List of Terrorist sponsors, it actually in retropsect seems like not a bad move at all.

[quote]The former enemy of a current enemy of my current enemy is my current friend.
I hope. :s [/quote]

[quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote]. WTF was he thinkin’?
Oil? Sand? $$$'s?[/quote]Given the recent thawing of US-Libyan relations, and the possibility that Libya may get removed from the US Black List of Terrorist sponsors, it actually in retropsect seems like not a bad move at all.

[quote]The former enemy of a current enemy of my current enemy is my current friend.
I hope. :s [/quote][/quote]TheGingerMan -

Very good points. This must certainly be considered. bravo:

A-Bian is carrying secret letters for Bush…

But where will A-bian goto refuel next time if Libya is no longer available…Iran?

A-Bian is carrying secret letters for Bush…

But where will A-Bian goto refuel next time if Libya is no longer available…Iran?[/quote]

Not really. He will refuel in mid-air, fly round the globe and then return
to Taiwan triumphantly. A new record broken and then he retires happily. End of the story.