CSB: Time to "consider" territory change? (Here we go again)

Blame them for stealing for Taiwan. Why are you such an apologist for Japan. How does you wife feel that you condone other States stealing territory from Taiwan?

I’m not an apologist of Japan. I just stated a fact. If you think that marking territories is BS, under the International Law, an unmarked piece of land is considered terra nullius. Now you know why the boats in the discovery ages, allways a stock of stone markers, ready to be deployed somewhere.

Yeah, such a glorious age it was, huh? Why did you even need stone markers? Didn’t the infallible pope write some Tordesillas Bull-crap and give you guys half the world?

no, it wasn’t the Pope. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tordesillas.
The Pope just made it real.

[quote=“zeugmite”]Yeah, such a glorious age it was, huh? Why did you even need stone markers? Didn’t the infallible Pope write some Tordesillas Bull-crap and give you guys half the world?[/quote]We took flags and stuck them in the bits we wanted.

Reading this article

news.monstersandcritics.com/asia … _countries

It dawned on me. Is CSB trying to start a war. I mean he really has nothing to lose at this point.

I think he just puts his political survival above the “good of the nation”. I don’t think he wants a war, but I think he’s willing to chance it. If he behaves, he’s out of a job. If there’s a war because he pushes the red line, he’s most likely just out of a job.

What does he have to lose?

A chance at having a good legacy if he behaves, as opposed to a villified legacy if he starts a war.

[quote]It dawned on me. Is CSB trying to start a war. I mean he really has nothing to lose at this point.

I think he just puts his political survival above the “good of the nation”. I don’t think he wants a war, but I think he’s willing to chance it. If he behaves, he’s out of a job. If there’s a war because he pushes the red line, he’s most likely just out of a job.

What does he have to lose?[/quote]

ac_dropout and cctang, the tweedledum and tweedledee of the anti-democracy side.

Call me what you want. I’m not famous, and names don’t bother me. God knows I’ve been called worse.

I think it’s more significant what Chen Shui-bian is being called. Is there any informed government on this planet that’s genuinely applauding CSB’s motives, actions, and agendas? Even amongst those who defend him, are there any who has publically argued he’s to be defended because he’s a brilliant, competent, efficient, inspirational leader of men?

That last is a serious question, not a rhetorical one. I read the Liberty Times and Taipei Times every day. I don’t remember the last editorial or article that whole-heartedly supported and applauded Chen Shui-bian’s policies, on any issue. His most active defenders seem to base their support strictly on the fact that he’s the democratically elected President, that he is Taiwanese, and that its not all his fault… the legislature deserves much of the blame. I don’t mean to refute the fundamental truth behind any of those positions, by the way. And I’m not calling for him to be kicked from office.

But for gods’ sakes, if you’ve got an objective bone left in your body, you must realize that Chen Shui-bian’s administration is a remarkable failure on just about every level. Lee Tung-hui, who’s ideological beliefs I categorically oppose, must at least be acknowledged as a “great” man who’s impact on society lasted long past his official term in office. In contrast, Chen Shui-bian is a “little” man who’s legacy will fade as soon as the ink dries. His “influence” on Taiwanese society (and even within the DPP) will dissipate as soon as his term ends.

Vorkosigan,

Can you describe any policy CSB fowarded on Taiwan that has advance democracy beyond the last KMT presidents CJG and LTH?

Fundimentally the system CSB inherited from the KMT is still the same. That being the case CSB position is no more or less democratic than the KMT position.

Similar to the analogy with Ronald Reagan and George W. in the US, LTH-Reagan versus CSB-Bush.

I’ll take Lee Teng-hui and Reagan over CSB and Bush anytime.

Similar to the analogy with Ronald Reagan and George W. in the US, LTH-Reagan versus CSB-Bush.

I’ll take Lee Teng-hui and Reagan over CSB and Bush anytime.[/quote]
There are many painful things I’d take over all four.

well, considering that the opening of the mini links. the biggest foreign investment (and not just dumping money), the NHI, the increase of infrastructures where all in the CSB era, I wonder if it is really a black age for Taiwan, this one.
Of course, many other things should have been done, like having better support for foreign personel, having a more streamlined government (but hey, while they don’t even define who rules who, this will be impossible), a better tax evasion fight program, speedier justice (and in some cases a lot more severe), better control of the media (this one goes with the one before, for sure that if a court of law would be quick and heavy on defamation processes, the journalists would be more carefull when posting news (and no, 10 cm excuses on the second page are not good, because normally, a first page story deserves a first page excuse, at least, same size)), better education system (one that is not so reliable on studying, but on learning), a more diversified external investment program (investing in Europe or US companies to have better resources (just look at Benq-Siemens, or Lenovo), better anti-corruption laws, with tight control of the parties expenses and incomes (establishing a limit on expenses on ellection campaigns sure help to balance things more), tight control of the public workers (specially the top ones for signs of richness).
All this can be done to increase the country’s efficiency.

Sounds a lot like Singapore’s current system.

[quote=“mr_boogie”]… a more diversified external investment program (investing in Europe or US companies to have better resources (just look at Benq-Siemens, or Lenovo)…
[/quote]
You mean the BenQ-Siemens unit that was just given up for dead/bankruptcy yesterday? After BenQ threw away $600 million into that European black hole? That diversified external investment program?

I don’t dispute that. But for some reason, the American/European Chambers of Commerce don’t seem to be emphasizing the other long list of points you rattled off. They seem to have this obsession with talking about liberalizing cross-strait economic links, too.

Yes, do you know how much Lenovo payd for having the IBM black hole?
For Benq, grabbing Siemens name is a marketing move. Investing in long run names to make your company be known. Do you think that they didn’t plan that beforehand? Now they filed for bankrupcy protection so they can squeeze the German Federal Government a few millions in kickbacks to help them stay, while transfering all the know-how of Siemens into the Benq group.

How many bankrupted companies where bought by others in order to get branding and know-how?

About the American/European Chamber of Commerce… well, thinking that the first is right wing and the second might also be, as they are all “business” people, implementing those things will most likely be bad. Most of them are bad for business people (specially the tax evasion control).

About the Singaporean government, I hope they will do even more than what they are doing now, because I know (because I know a lot of people who have companies in Singapore and what kind of people they are) that most of it, is on the surface. Or maybe I just think too much… here is a book that I cannot find on internet to read, but explained in this blog:
http://waynesoon.blogspot.com/2006/04/third-book-singapore-wealth-power-and.html

I assume you’re being sarcastic… but you do realize the IBM unit acquired by Lenovo was/continues to be profitable? But yes, the Lenovo investment was a good choice.

[quote]For Benq, grabbing Siemens name is a marketing move. Investing in long run names to make your company be known. Do you think that they didn’t plan that beforehand? Now they filed for bankrupcy protection so they can squeeze the German Federal Government a few millions in kickbacks to help them stay, while transfering all the know-how of Siemens into the Benq group.
[/quote]
Well, see, now that’s a plan I’m comfortable with. Let’s not waste our time investing in European dinosaur industries that can’t innovate and manufacture. Let’s just buy the brand, fire all the European employees, and move the business to China. See, also: MG Rover. Is that what you had in mind for Taiwanese industries as a whole? Buy the brand and fire all the over-paid, under-producing European employees? I like it.

I don’t have a problem at all with the above investments. I think it’s pretty interesting that Chinese companies are apparently able to diversify their investments without being forced into it with legal caps.

The right-wingers are implementing policies that are bad for business people? Does this really make sense in your mind? So, they are calling for the elimination of cross-strait economic barriers because they are really trying to sabotage their member businesses? Brilliant!

[quote=“cctang”]

The right-wingers are implementing policies that are bad for business people? Does this really make sense in your mind? So, they are calling for the elimination of cross-strait economic barriers because they are really trying to sabotage their member businesses? Brilliant![/quote]

Guess you missed my point. Being those two chambers of right-wing purposes, and most of my purposes of left-wing, it is clear that those chambers would never go on proposing that.
Another thing, do you know how hard it is to fire all the employees? I think that if the they want to buy brands and disband the European Operations in a sec, they will be facing a lot of oposition. Just remember that governments won’t simply allow it, as most of them have contracts. Filing papers for bankrupcy doesn’t lead to bankrupcy, just for the protection against creditors.
Did Benq did a good thing? In business terms yes, in social terms we will see. But if they suddently close the factory and fire all the people, you’ll see a reaction from the governments and people. Benq has to be carefull on what they will do, because that might just kill all their branding in Europe.

Logical from which perspective? from reflecting reality, well that would be true. Logical from what will benifit the country? Not so clear,

Firstly there is no way this will go through the LY, so this is political posturing plain and simple. There will be increased tensions for international relations and investors will be wary, which has an effect to the Taiwan people. It seems CSB yet again is trying to boost his and the parties popularity with a contentious issue. In my opinion, the order that CSB build his values is, me first, then my party, then interests of the people come a distant 3rd, oh “noble” CSB.[/quote]

Secondly, there is no way the presidential recall will go through the LY, so that is also political posturing plain and simple. There are already increased tensions for international relations and invesotors are already wary, which has already had an effect on the Taiwan people. It seems Chairman Ma and Chairman Soong yet again are trying to boost their and their parties’ popularity with a contentious issue. In my opinion, the order that Ma and Soong build their values is, me first, then my party, then interests of the people come a distant 3rd, oh “noble” Ma and Soong.