CSB's Jan 1 speech

Any opinions on ah bian’s speech? It seems those hoping he would become more proactive on cross strait liberalization and cooperation with the pan blues were dissapointed. And he also criticized ma’s interview in newsweek, which actually got a positive reaction from many circles.

Fanglangzhe, some synchonicity (sp?) at work here I think… :rainbow:

My OP from the other thread… I’ll dump the other one.

I trust most of you have caught Chen Shui-bian’s New Years address (if not, here’s an English newsbite). What a lost opportunity! We were promised something ‘big,’ and what did we get? More of the damn same: a tactical move in the blue-green war, and continuing disregard for Taiwan’s increasingly parlous state economically. I have leaned green politically for many years (largely because the blues make me sick - a long history of professional dealings with blues of various shades), but this is getting close to a tipping point for me. Why doesn’t Chen get it?! People want a government that delivers growth and prosperity. Things have been sluggish here in Taiwan for over 5 years. In this regard, something big would have been the introduction of the three links. I hate saying it, but I really think it’s time for him to wake-up or go.

I expected this to happen, he really wants to continue his ‘policies’ even though he loses support.

Here are some links in English.

Taiwan Leader Still Plans Referendum
asia.news.yahoo.com/060101/ap/d8erms580.html

Taiwan’s Chen singals tighter policy towards China
asia.news.yahoo.com/060101/3/2d975.html

He’s missed many opportunites to make TW stronger over the years, and has acted like a lawyer the whole time. However, he really is caught between a rock and a hard place. Damned if he does nothing and damned if he does too much, with no legislative control. And at the helm of a disappointingly unprofessional DPP.

I just don’t understand why CSB seems to have ignored the message that got sent to him in the Nov elections. What good does appealing to the DPP wing of the DPP party (the non-moderates) do for himself, his party, or taiwan?

Because Taiwan is a republic and the only people left supporting CSB is the fringe. The moderate greens have all gone over to the Blue side as the recent elections have shown.

Thus all CSB can do is shore up is radical TI supporters by voicing their belief.

If he voiced the moderate Green message, there is no guarantee the moderate Greens would come back, or that moderate Blues would listen, but he would definitely lose hardcore Green support that make up his pathetic 23% approval rating.

The MRT scandal tainted his administration.

If you use economic reaction (Stock market index or PRC investments) as Taiwan’s true guage of public sentiment on the issue, it would seems pan-Green never really understood what Taiwanese really wanted.

Back in the US this morning, and still a little jet lagged. The 2 long of xiaolongbao consumed shortly before take-off probably didn’t help.

I think we can only conclude at this point that CSB is a politician at heart, and little more. The short NY Times article this morning made a nice point. CSB has clearly convinced himself that it was internal DPP division that resulted in the Nov elections. So, rather than laying out a strategic vision that might unite the Taiwan populace as a whole… he’s going after a tactical move that he hopes will unite the pan-Greens.

I think most of us recognize Taiwan’s at an inflection point in its economic, social, and political development. This would really be the ideal time for Taiwan to have an informed, wise, national leader to set a vision that could very well shape all of Asia’s development for the next century. Instead, Taiwan’s stuck with an excellent politician who’s still hoping to win the next election.

As a strong green leaner I was pondering their run the other day and wondering if it wasn’t time the DPP were carved up in a blood bath of factional strife. Such a crazy amalgam of interests really have no place in a single party. For the sake of Taiwan’s political maturity it may be best if the KMT got back in during the next prez elections - better of course if they too managed to produce sme non-KMT party while in opposition, and no, not that farker Soong, that don’t count. Hopefully in opposition they could gain enough breathing room to split.

HG

Even people within the DPP are realizing the speech was nonsense.

I saw DPP legislator Li Wenzhong interviewed on tv this morning saying how people wanted good government and measures to improve the economy, and not another round of battles over subjects only politicians care about.

The speech just proves that Chen is fixated on his own political ideology despite the results of the December elections.

If Chen warns against closer economic ties with the mainland, then what else can improve Taiwan’s economy? He should at least take steps to improve the economy (which means reducing barriers to trade and investment on the mainland) and focus on more practical issues, rather than promoting his own political agenda at the expense of the majority who don’t support it.

Unless he gets his head out of his ass, Taiwan’s economy will continue receding as it has been during his 5 years in office.

Taiwanese are a pragmatic bunch. As long as you give them the $$ by fostering an environment conducive to trade and commerce, they will support you. The KMT certainly has experience in that area. The DPP given the inexperienced politicians that they are only know how to manipulate TI sentiments for their own political gain. Unfortunately the uneducated folks in Taiwan from the rural areas in the south are easily swayed by this manipulation.

Most important issue today is why we are at work and the world is on holiday. Did the bumbling fool explain why he has banned Christmas? I mean Christmas is even a public holiday in Syria fercrissakes.

sorry for being off topic… but surely you know taiwan has one of the fewest public holidays in asia if not the world. not including chinese new year or holiays that fall on sat/sun, taiwan had 3 public holiday days in 2005 (5 in 2006). This compared to Hong Kong which had 10 in 2005 and 11 in 2006 (under same definition as stated above).

Come now chaps, Taiwan is a little behind the eight ball econimically at the moment, it’s time to put your collective noses to the grindstone.

Anyway, makes sense. If Ah Bian wants to overturn the constitution, not much point in retaining Constitution Day, no?

Rather pleasant morning here in HK, just got up, sun is shining, grass is green the putty black and my Thai princess has bacon and eggs in the pan . . . Bliss!

HG

STOP_MA and SHAWN_C, we haven’t heard from you in awhile and the lack of dissenting opinion makes a forum boring. I DEMAND you raise your pro DPP/CSB voice and tell us why we are all wrong in criticizing CSB’s speech.

I think Taiwan does quite well for holidays: It’s normally got 11, but of course some don’t get transferred if they land on a weekend. It’s also got 7 ‘flexible’ (i.e. discretionary) holidays - including Christmas (sorry, ‘Constitution’) Day.

Work for a decent company, and that makes 18. Compare that with the UK which has 8, and I know which one I prefer! I guess HK does well because it’s got both British and Chinese holidays …

Why just pinning this problem on the Taiwanese? The ‘what’s in for me?’ attitude are everywhere around our world for the smart people. Only dumb common people in China get sh*t on by their goverment and bent over to ask for more!! :wink:

DDP does have a problem of getting newer people to move up in their organization. That’s because at the moment DDP have too much of holier than thou complex run by a few people up there. They are more eager to preach than any sort of community actions. They are also unable to adapt to change and weak on strategy. They also have the inability to create young leaders to move up within their organization!! :s

The ROC (KMT) goverment, on the hand, had always been organized to profit those that of the north. Just look at the media, it’s always the Taipei viewpoints. If they talk about the south, it’s always some sort of vacation trips they take to come here. Other than that, we don’t really exist in their mind. I guess the South should be grateful for that. :astonished:

As for TI, that’s the ‘what’s in for me?’ attitude of Taiwanese people and that goes deeper into the mind of Taiwanese people than just DDP or KMT. They are just political parties to serve us or get the f*ck out of our way and nothing more. Anyhow, enjoy the crazy ride!! :smiley:

PS. Rich people can make money anywhere because they got good sound business skills under their belts. China isn’t the only place with low cost labor if you know what I mean!! :wink:

Really… Why are all this HK people so pissed off at the current HK goverment? :astonished:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p … 496556.stm

Can’t claim to speak for those two - but everyone does seem to be focusing on the bits of the speech they hated.

Everyone seems to be bitching about the fact he isn’t pushing for economic links with China … except he did talk about that. Apart from developing a new slogan for how links will be managed (which in itself is meaningless) he has commited to a 2nd Economic Development Advisory Conference. The first one (4 years ago) resulted in the biggest (official) opening up of links between Taiwan and China since … err … well, 1945 I guess. So maybe, there will be a change - which will be agreed between all parties and economic experts, instead of imposed from above. Sounds good to me.

I agree a large part of the speech was nothing new - and mostly political maneuvering (remember, the DPP are in the process of choosing a new party chairman, so the speech was probably aimed at DPP members). He’s still pushing for a new constitution (which is needed but won’t happen), talking about a need to agree on a national identity (which is true, but nothing new), bitching about China’s military threat (again, true but so what), and asking for the arms budget to be at least considered by the legislature (as before).

Incidentally, I think Chen would be stupid to make major policy changes based on the results of the local elections. As I’ve said in other threads, those elections were LOCAL and not a referendum on CSB or One China or economic policy. They are about as relevant to national policy as a phone survey by TVBS on CSBs rule. I’m not claiming that Chen’s doing a great job and doesn’t need to change anything, but these kneejerk demands of massive change because some DPP bloke is no longer in charge of Ilan county are ridiculous.

Don’t worry when pan-Blue reclaim the presidential office, they will make sure ROC Constitution Day (Dec 25) will once again be properly celebrated on Taiwan.

Of course those that what to celebrate the birth of a Hippie that spawn the mother of all commercial holidays are welcome to co-op ROC constitution day.

Iron_Jackal_Tw:

Dunno, don’t care much either. Could be because they don;t have a Thai princess cooking them eggs. :wink:

HG