CSB's Jan 1 speech

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Iron_Jackal_Tw:

Dunno, don’t care much either. Could be because they don;t have a Thai princess cooking them eggs. :wink:[/quote]

Girls? They must be ugly and stupid if they can’t get a hot girl or two fighting over them! :smiley:

[quote=“Iron_Jackal_Tw”]
Girls? They must be ugly and stupid if they can’t get a hot girl or two fighting over them! :smiley:[/quote]
I’m missing shawn_c and STOP_Ma already. Or… maybe I’m not?

I’d be delighted if he could complete construction of the 4th nuclear powerplant. Anyone remember that project? You know, the one that’s been under construction for 8 years now, and was canceled by CSB, then restarted, and is now deliberately being built at a snail’s pace.

Of course, if Taiwan’s economy keeps going down the drain, soon we won’t need any more powerplants. No one will be able to afford electricity.

cheers,
DB

[quote=“Dog’s_Breakfast”][quote=“reztrop”]
If Chen warns against closer economic ties with the mainland, then what else can improve Taiwan’s economy?
[/quote]

I’d be delighted if he could complete construction of the 4th nuclear powerplant. Anyone remember that project? You know, the one that’s been under construction for 8 years now, and was canceled by CSB, then restarted, and is now deliberately being built at a snail’s pace.

Of course, if Taiwan’s economy keeps going down the drain, soon we won’t need any more powerplants. No one will be able to afford electricity.

cheers,
DB[/quote]

I thought Taiwan garnered growth last year of above 3.5% which is better than most of the world, something most nations would kill for. Could you back up your statement with statistical fact please?

I believe it is a relative comparision issue. Of course compared to a war torn nation (i.e. Iraq) Taiwan is a haven of economic prosperity.

However, Taiwan is usually compared to 4 asian tiger economies. And in that instance Taiwan is dead last in terms of growth and employment rate.

Check out the GDP per capita figures between S. Korea and Taiwan over the last 10-15 years. I’d post it but can’t find the numbers right now. Basically, the two were very close 10-15 years ago but now Korea is way ahead.