Cultural Events in Taipei?

Well, i recently moved to Taipei from Kaohsiung as i got a job here. During my free time though i would like to be able to attend various cultural events such as arts exhibitions, performing arts, crafts worksops or events like the ones organized bu Xue Xue Institute (that are held in Chinese … and my Chinese language level is not yet ther to be able to attend them… :blush: ). Something close to what i am looking for is culture.tw but it does not appear to be updated very often.
Do you happen to know any web-site in english that i could get relevant information?

Any info is highly appreciated… Thanks :thumbsup:

Not sure if this is relevant (or an “event”), but there’s a really great place called the National Center for Traditional Arts (NCTA) about an hour away on the east coast, near Suao. There are all sorts of demonstrations and exhibits, and you can watch traditional dances and “trades” in progress. The whole place is set up like an old Chinese village, but without the spit, fish guts and other yucky stuff on the roads.

NCTA

The guy at this blog taiwanstories.wordpress.com/ often posts translations of what’s going on each weekend.

@nemesis, wow, this looks quite interesting for a 1-day-visit… Have you been there?
@cfimages, nice blog. :slight_smile: unfortunately the author is not posting weekly updates however he has a list with interesting link.
Thanks both!

Ha! Just saw that the National Palace Museum has an exhibition about Greek sculpture… interesting to juxtapose my home country’s art with the Chinese one… :slight_smile:

The local papers have lists of stuff going on. They put them in the Friday papers. You can see them online, too.

Dr. McCoy, do you refer to online sites like taiwannews.com.tw ? I asked some locals but had no idea about local newspapers written in english (and in fact i have not seen any… not that i have looked for one as i did not expect to be one… but i will look…). If you can give me some names or links i would really appreciate that. Thanks

www.taipeitimes.com/
www.chinapost.com.tw/
They sell them in most convenience stores for 15NT.

:thumbsup: thank you!

A few times, yes! I love it and can happily spend all day there!

There’s also a booklet available at some restaurants and bookstores about events. It’s bilingual, but there should be enough English in it for you to make sense of it. It’s issued monthly, and of course I can’t remember the name… :doh:

[quote=“aim”]@nemesis, wow, this looks quite interesting for a 1-day-visit… Have you been there?
@cfimages, nice blog. :slight_smile: unfortunately the author is not posting weekly updates however he has a list with interesting link.
Thanks both![/quote]

I tried doing the updates on weekly basis, but it was just too much hassle to go through every week. I’m going to put all the events into a google calendar now and that should be finished within the next week. I am just a bit technologically challenged and having some bother embedding it on wordpress at the minute.

oh Mugatu, it’s your blog… really nice (content and designwise)… this google-calendar sounds very interesting.

Thanks, I’ve updated it now. Still a bit sparse at the minute, but I’ll get some more stuff on there soon.

mugatu, that’s nice! in case i got any info as well i will let you know…

I have a blog that lists all kinds of places and activities around Taiwan. It’s mostly Taipei-focused at the moment, because I review places we go to each week. (The kids and I have a “Wednesday Afternoon Adventure”.) Even though it is a resource for families in Taiwan, there are many listings that are suitable for adults to visit, too. Here’s a link to the museum section for North Taiwan:

http://kidzone-tw.blogspot.com/search/label/Museums%20North%20Taiwan