Cultural Perspectives and Communication in Taiwan

The OP could have copped me in my Nurse Ratchett days checking him into the theatre. I once told some prick that there was a mix up on his forms and instead of saying he required some simple fairly non-invasive procedure, as planned, he was there to have his leg amputated. I told him I’d do my best to try and clear it up, but as I was very busy I might forget, so if he could, try to resist the anaesthetic in order to remind the surgeon when he got into the theatre.

Incredibly the cnut was a lawyer AND didn’t sue the bejesus out of me. To add some colour, he’d been prattling on about his platinum private health insurance and his entitlements. I told him I was paid by the state, that it was a public hospital and only his bed was private, and that I treated people according to necessity and not according to the status of their health insurance.

HG

There is a core truth here that can’t be avoided and that is that foreigners are often treated here with a paternalistic, patronizing, condescending attitude that can be absolutely infuriating. There are probably a lot or reasons for this, first being the number of stumble bum knuckelheads that have washed up on these shores over the years. We are often arrogant, linguistically incompetent, and prone to histrionics. That being admitted to I would assert that there is a great deal more to it than that. In the first place there is a more linear form of interaction that occurs between westerners that more or less assumes that people listen to each other, take some sort of interest, and respond more or less to what was said. In Chinese there is a lot more talking past each other. Things are said and the response that comes back just has nothing to do with what was said previously. You see Taiwanese getting irritated by this all the time, especially toward service staff, who are really learning to snap to it. However, if you aren’t a customer (or often even if you are) and are actually intending to assert yourself in a situation where a decision has to be made about how something is actually done you run into a wall of resistance that has nothing to do with how sensible your assertions are. That is how it is everywhere, people really have to “learn” how to calm down and listen to each other, to give up on their ego and accept the notion that somebody else might be right, or that they might have a good idea. It’s just that here they are perhaps less far along that way, and for sure they are less far along that way when it comes to recognizing that a foreigner might have good ideas about how things could be done. It drives us nuts and we freak out and then they really have reason to label us as trouble makers and ignore what we are saying even more.

Also, being ignored just tends to close us down. If you get the feeling that somebody isn’t listening to what you are saying you won’t be amenable to listening to them either.

This might seem nitpicky but I can say with 100% confidence that this is the one issue that affects my life EVERY day. The more you try to DO anything here the more it becomes apparent.

Yesterday I went to the audio store and told them I wanted to “ChuangZao YI ge chonGFu BUOFang de* LuYIN Dai.” Which means that I wanted to create a continuous loop recording. I doubt that the staff there had a clue what that meant in any language so I got the Jus a mo ment routine and then was shuttled off to some kid who really spoke English quite well and could have spared me and himself alot of nervousness and posturing if he had just listened to what I was saying. What could have taken five minutes took half an hour.

It is essentially a face issue. First of all they don’t want to admit that they don’t understand something that is being said to them, and second they don’t want to admit that “what” you are saying is of any value, particularly if it is something new. They will just try to shut you down.

Generally speaking I would say that the best response to all of this is to be very patient, very clear, and express things as simply as possible. Then again, I have to admit that some of the most important relationships in my life were clarified and improved upon precisely because people were made to feel some of my anger over precsely this issue. You can only move forward for so long without the ackowledgment that what you think matters.

Caveat: All of this is a generalization. Of course it is not ALWAYS true. It is true often enough to be a frequent source of irritation though. That is for sure.

the other day i saw a girl was getting off the bus when the door shut on her, trapping her for around 10 seconds. People on the bus, myself included shouted to the driver, who nonchantley re-opened the doors. She eventually freed herself and walked away. I’m pretty sure that in the UK or the US there would have been a commotion and legal threats. But here its a case of cha bu dwor hao, dwai bu che etc… maybe its just that we stand up for our rights more, but I’ve noticed a very blaise attitude.

bob, a great post and a good read.

That’s just racist, Bob. :wink:

From my experience, there is absolutely an issue with communication here.

I think that part of the time it is definitely an ‘I don’t care’ attitude. People generally only appear to care about themselves or their family here. Sometimes even in the face of obvious suffering and need of assistance. It’s sad to see people completely ignore and pretend they don’t see others in need.

Sometimes though, there are a few people that do actually care about others. The real issue is listening. I often see that people here do not learn or value listening skills. I see it in my students, and I see it in daily life outside the classroom.

One such example is Starbucks. The employees at my local Starbucks all seem like great people. They are not only friendly, but sincere. I honestly feel that a few of them are sincere which is so so rare here. So anyways… I always have my coffee grinded in the shop. I ask in both English and in Chinese for #12. My Chinese is not perfect, but I can easily and clearly communicate numbers. It doesn’t matter, they will never actually listen to me, they just give me what they think I want. Not what I ask for. I have learned to be quite aggressive and really stress what I am asking for, sometimes it helps, most of the time it doesn’t.

There is nothing malicious, nor lack of caring, just another case of people not having listening skills.

It takes almost 6 months to get students to actually listen here. It’s not that they don’t know the words I am saying, or are necessarily stupid, its once again a case of not listening. I see the Chinese teachers in their classes, and at any given time only one or two students are actually listening. This is a skill that doesn’t appear to be stressed in this society.

Even doctors and Dentists here are lacking basic listening skills.

great post Homey!

but, erm oh oh oh oh oh those sweeeping generalizations! :no-no: :no-no:

bismarck
I appreciate your writing - about

I feel that you missed an option, the “human somewhere in between option” - those scenarios I described did not lead to any rage, I did not yell at the nurse, had no word about the doctor not showing up on time and the ‘playground rule thing’ is just very interesting for me.
I guess that all foreigners in Taiwan experience some degree of friction because of their role as a foreigner at least once in a while.
This board is a platform to talk about things and is a chance to let a bit steam off too.
I bet all Western expats in Taiwan have good and bad moments, again, connected to the situation as a foreigner on this island. We all think and deal with situations that occur, we have issues and problems as a foreigner and hopefully we have many wonderful moments as well.

Is it really possible to adapt to the environment here?