Cultural Venues in Taichung

[quote=“Vorkosigan”]Yes, it is the same museum. There’s also this from Taiwan journal today…

++++++++++++++

“The exhibition calls together talented Taiwanese designers specializing in various fields, ranging from arts to product design,” said Hu You-tsung, a curator for one of the exhibitions, “50 Pleasures in the Study,” at the opening of the event on Aug. 28.

Hu’s show seeks to redefine the traditional “four treasures” of a Chinese study, which typically includes calligraphy brushes, ink sticks, paper and an ink stone. The collective exhibition is a stage on which ambitious designers can be seen and communicate with the public, as well as a way to encourage local talent, Hu said.

It has only been in recent years that the government has created such platforms to promote connections among those in the cultural and industrial sectors, rather than just providing subsidies to encourage creative industries. Tony Chang, chief executive officer of the Taipei-based Taiwan Design Center, said, “This facilitates cooperation among designers and the industrial sector and helps create incentives for further collaboration.”

“The exhibition, for example, introduces the unfailing supply of creativity from the private sector and helps bring together cultural groups and various businesses,” Chang said.

The venue for the show itself represents the government’s effort in this regard. The CCA took account of Taichung’s past experience of developing light industry, as well as the high concentration of design colleges in the area. And in 2002, the council launched plans to convert the city’s former brewery into a “locomotive” for promoting art, design and architecture. The result is TADA, which opened in June 2006, and houses art studios, exhibition space, experimental theaters and a conference and performance hall across eight of the 40 buildings in the former brewery.[/quote]Sounds good. Here’s a link with the address, phone number, and some more information. I think it’s pretty close to Stock 20, the art studio/gallery behind the station.

Have you ever been to that big gallery out near Wuqi somewhere? Not many people know about it, and I think it’s mainly tour groups who go there, but I went once and enjoyed it.

TADA is in the old brewery. Joesax is correct - it’s on the street behind the station. If you come out of the tunnel under the station, turn right when you get to the road and go 200m or so.

The brewery itself is pretty interesting to wander around in.

There is also the Confucius Temple, which is a big museum-like area not too far from Chungyo department store. Sometimes the Taichung Cultural Center, next to the Art Museum, has some interesting displays. And you (and I as well!) just missed a great exhibit at the Museum of Natural History, which apparently showed the history of Taichung city. I just noticed the sign the other evening with a “finished” sign over it. Did anyone get to that exhibit? Sounds fascinating.

And besides the Confucius Temple, there are dozens of small temples which give some insight. You would need to find someone who knows a bit about their history though, as the lack of posted signs or brochures (in any language) is a problem here. You could also try the Mazu Temple in Dajia, lots of information online about that one. There will be a festival soon and the Mazu goddess will travel around.

Thanks Douglas. Do you know anything more about that festival? One of other classes (Anthropological Folklore) requires me to conduct some folkloric fieldwork by observing a local festival. This Mazu festival sounds like it might be perfect.

The Mazu festival is not until April.

mazu.taichung.gov.tw/

[quote=“cfimages”]The Mazu festival is not until April.

mazu.Taichung.gov.tw/[/quote]
Crap. Are there any festivals between now and early December?

Try this.

edu.ocac.gov.tw/local/web/Eng/about.htm

It covers all of Taiwan, so you’ll have to search through. Be aware that many of the traditional festivals are listed by their lunar date, so you’ll need a lunar calendar handy (today is 8/24 lunar).

[quote=“cfimages”]Try this.

edu.ocac.gov.tw/local/web/Eng/about.htm

It covers all of Taiwan, so you’ll have to search through. Be aware that many of the traditional festivals are listed by their lunar date, so you’ll need a lunar calendar handy (today is 8/24 lunar).[/quote]
Thanks cf. That’s pretty useful.