Cultural Violence

[quote=“Vannyel”]I agree with Miltonkid…you are less likely to be the victim of random deadly violence in Taiwan than in the U.S. – I would go a bit further and say lessly likely to be the victim of any violence in Taiwan than in the U.S.
And to say that applies just to sheltered foreigners would be a bit too much as well…I think it applies to the majority of people in Taiwan.[/quote]

I would strongly disagree with this statement, as I was recently a recipient of a random violent attack on the street. Violence is rather random here, but why we aren’t more aware of it is that many of us are not literate in Chinese, therefore we can’t really know the brevity of the situation. I occasionally read the paper, and see all kinds of crazy random acts in it.
I actually feel like Taiwan is closer to the US in terms of chances of encountering violence. Always have. And I lived in Japan, Hong Kong, and China, and never felt in any of these places the need for being on guard as I do in Taiwan.

620wtmj.com wrote:

[quote]Among the nation

[quote=“Dangermouse”] All with a “piesay” smile on their faces.

… All the pent up anger through years of “piesay.”

[/quote]

I’m sorry but what does “piesay” mean? Does it have anything to do with the expression “shut your pie hole”? Why ‘pie’? I mean, why not ‘pipe hole’? You’d think it’d make more sense because pipe can also mean voice but maybe it’s just me…Oh wait, nevermind, that’s Taiwanese I just realized. :blush: Awww, you’re so cute, Dangermouse. :bouncy:

Most violent crimes are committed by between people who know each other. You are more likely to be murdered by a friend, lover/ex, co-worker, or a member of your family, than a random stranger. Women are most likely to be raped by male friends they trust than some sicko jumping out of the bushes (which is statistically quite rare). And children are most likely to be abused or molested by their parents.

What this means is, that as foreigners living thousands of miles from home in a place where most of us don’t have the social network we have at home, we live in a bubble. It can get a bit lonely but that lack of close interaction with a wide circle of family and friends and aquaintances insulates us from a certain degree of violence. Unless they’re psycho, most people don’t just attack random strangers. Most violence is born out of personal frustations trying to deal with someone you know. Most violence is personal.

I have seen shooters in Taiwan, people having there heads kicked in by large groups of gangsters and herd looooooooads of horor storys.

Not an unviolent place at all!

Its out there but its not on the streets as much as at home - go looking for it and you will find it for sure[/b]

I wrote:

One answer:

[quote=“Mucha (Muzha) Man”]Perhaps we could say that Taiwan is a non-threatening or non-confrontational society.
[/quote]

I challenge you on that thought Mucha man, after you read the following article. Also, keep in mind the once a week violence at KTV’s around the city/island…

Man beaten to death for role in accident

I can only comment between here and the states, haven’t lived in other countries.

Violence exists anywhere that there are more than 1 persons located in a 1 foot radius. Sometimes doesnt even have to be more than one person (read: masochism).

Personally I rate Taiwan safer than the States for its own people. Take any major city from the states…say… Chicago, L.A. or try big city but less of the stereotypical movie violence setting… Seattle, Phoenix…etc. The american citizen of that city would definitely not be walking about the streets past 10pm. Not even in the suburbs. But here in Taiwan, it’s quite common to be out and about past midnight.

Foreigner violence is also higher in the states. But that, imho, is cuz 1) americans aren’t the most tolerant group in the world, and 2) there are simply more foreigners in the states. Before people complain about the lack of sympathy for the foreigner violence here, please recall the lack of sympathy for foreigner violence in just about any other country. The usual “Not my family, not my worry” mentality. Not saying it’s right, but just something to think about.

I won’t even get into the whole gay-bashing. That’s for another thread. :slight_smile:

The point has been made numerous times that a local populations general intolerance to a foreign immigrant population increases as the foreign immigrant population increases.

The US has many foreign immigrants.

[quote=“grayson”]
Foreigner violence is also higher in the states. But that, imho, is cuz 1) Americans aren’t the most tolerant group in the world, [/quote]

1. The statue of Liberty is a mirage
  2. The civil rights of 1964(?) is a mirage
  3. Ellis Island is really a theme park

Grayson, I guess you think that the terrorists, in the world are just actually peacekeepers…

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“grayson”]
Foreigner violence is also higher in the states. But that, imho, is cuz 1) Americans aren’t the most tolerant group in the world, [/quote]

Grayson, I guess you think that the terrorists, in the world are just actually peacekeepers…[/quote]

I guess you think America is some kind of utopia? Discriminations are still rampant. I love my home and I plan on going back someday, but I have to admit we still got our problems. American were the ones who coined the phrase, “Go back to where you came from!” Insert “If you don’t know english” at will.

I don’t think Namahottie was suggesting that any country is a utopia. Possibly just trying to bring some perspective to the discussion… :idunno:

[quote=“grayson”][quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“grayson”]

Grayson, I guess you think that the terrorists, in the world are just actually peacekeepers…[/quote]

I guess you think America is some kind of utopia? Discriminations are still rampant. I love my home and I plan on going back someday, but I have to admit we still got our problems. American were the ones who coined the phrase, “Go back to where you came from!” Insert “If you don’t know English” at will.[/quote]

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I don’t think Namahottie was suggesting that any country is a utopia. Possibly just trying to bring some perspective to the discussion… :idunno:[/quote]

Perhaps I’m not reading the sarcasm in the mirage statements, assuming it’s there. Also, sorry, the terrorists = peacekeepers comment set me off. I had a couple of good friends in the towers. Took me days to get confirmation they were ok. How’s that for a perspective.

Ask any local to translate the local news for you and you’ll for sure hear some pretty disturbing sheet.

Scooter gets cut off by car. Guy on scooter gives a dirty look to driver of car. Driver of car shoots guy on scooter dead at next intersection and drives off. Whole thing caught on 7-11 security camera.

Nightshift at a 7-11 is on his way to work. A herd of 13 year old Scooter punks passes by. They beat the guy to death for absolutely no reason what-so-ever.

(true stories btw)

There are craploads of these stories every evening… look into it… seriously.

My gf was on her way home and saw some guy being held by gangstars at gunpoint… scary sheet…

[quote=“201Records”]Ask any local to translate the local news for you and you’ll for sure hear some pretty disturbing sheet.

Scooter gets cut off by car. Guy on scooter gives a dirty look to driver of car. Driver of car shoots guy on scooter dead at next intersection and drives off. Whole thing caught on 7-11 security camera.

Nightshift at a 7-11 is on his way to work. A herd of 13 year old Scooter punks passes by. They beat the guy to death for absolutely no reason what-so-ever.

(true stories btw)

There are craploads of these stories every evening… look into it… seriously.

My gf was on her way home and saw some guy being held by gangstars at gunpoint… scary sheet…[/quote]

Oh yea, I know about these stories. I ‘read’ the Apple Daily once a day, and this is where I think that Taiwan is rather brutal in their violence. Now place those same actions in America, the difference you will find is that the nighshift kid is some how connected to a person involved in the beating. As for the shooting, well that can be chocked up to road rage which happens everywhere now :astonished:

Back in North America were bombarded with stories of violent acts daily. The violent acts you hear of in Taiwan are more of a shock because those types of stories are not as in your face as the stories are back home.

Violence is everywhere. People, kill, attack and rape others daily all over the planet. I personally feel no threat from others here in Taiwan. Though I’m sure if I hung out in a few pubs&clubs drinking or popping pills on a weekly basis something would come my way sooner or later.