Culture minister slapped by entertainer at public gathering

Feel free to call me a cretinous catheterized cow, as long as itā€™s in good fun.

itā€™s too late, the moment has passedā€¦

OK, you unctuous unbathed ursine.

Nice work. #bantastic

No, it wouldnā€™t. The funding may be too high (massive?) or too low, but for a popular sport with heritage significance, the mere fact that not everyone enjoys it is nothing to get bruised over. :strawberry:

No argument from me that itā€™s an issue worth debating, but the question of how well or how badly the government is handling its culture portfolio is not the same question as whether or not the government should have a culture portfolio at all.

Iā€™m including sports in the definition of culture, obviously. And still wondering whether you want to stop taxpayer funding of the Olympics. If they canā€™t support themselvesā€¦ :ponder:

Of course America is not homogeneous, but the tendency seems to be stronger there than anywhere else, even England.

The article you cite is about blocking the export of a painting, not seizing it from its rightful owner. Western governments arenā€™t into seizing artworks these days, except when rightful ownership is in question e.g. Nazi loot, or when the obscenity meter goes up to 11.

Anyway, how good or bad is the law? is not the same question as should there be a law?

Youā€™re mixing up two different points. I didnā€™t say ancient Egypt was democratic.

Oh, I see. I didnā€™t get a ā€œthe gov can be involvedā€ vibe from your posts, but whatever. Thanks for clarifying that you and @Dr_Milker disagree about whether or not the government should be involved at all in culture. You just ā€œfeel uneasyā€ about it, as you said earlier. Okay.

If we want to continue the discussion, we should probably ask whatā€™s specifically wrong with the current Ministerā€™s work.

Definitely. A certain Chinese artist whoā€™s popular in the West comes to mind. I think even many people who disagree with how the National Palace Museum is run are still glad itā€™s not selling its rare paintings and calligraphy to that guy, no matter how interesting he is.

1 Like

Maybe one day they will call it the Lisa Cheng defense: I was just obeying natural law! :rainbow:

Ah, well, maybe heā€™s onto something. :cactus:

Naw man, you guys are just more Minnesota.

2 Likes

Isnā€™t that where Doc lives?

doc who?

Dr. Milker. Heā€™s in the NW
Looks like you go back to work on Monday, @OysterOmelet

I donā€™t know about this. If itā€™s so popular why did it almost go away and why does it need government funding?

At some point sports have all changed to adapt and or gone extinct. I just think there are now superior games to play and spectate.

Iā€™ve played in different baseball leagues here and itā€™s pretty much self sufficient. Players and teams pay to be in. Teams mostly co-own if not have theirs own land they take care of to practice and play. Equipment is privately funded by players or sponsors. Higher up leagues have cash tournaments. I donā€™t see why Gaelic canā€™t be the same if not have enough people to make it professional and funded by private organizations to make a league.

There are of course none monetary benefits to the community but those are basically entirely for people who like the game. I doubt the game itself improves the economy of the local community to even out the costs of government money spent.

Which leads to the next point of the olympics. People arenā€™t too thrilled about hosting it now seeing that it doesnā€™t benefit the places they host as much as people wanted. And some are stuck with ghost towns and a unusable stadium they canā€™t afford to maintain. So the hosting question for me is debatable. But funding a team is for sure something needed as theyā€™re doing a service to the country and not entirely for the sport itself.

I know what it is. I just said it has produced certain stupid laws. And it has led to art seizures in the past. Not that this particular case was a seizure.

Vacation over!

U.S has the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Endowment for the humanities.

Some say Sesame Street has been turned into a political propaganda machine.

Thatā€™s because they consider that as ā€œreal cultureā€. It is pure snobbery. How many times do you know of Taiwanese kids being forced or heavily persuaded by their parents to play the piano or violin as compared to the electric guitar or drums.
Many people especially the government and parents here have a very narrow view of what culture is ie Classical music is real culture and Hip Hop is not, or heavy metal is notā€¦

1 Like

Hip hop does not get arts funding in the US. Classical music does.

1 Like

What a load of crap. Do you have proof about your great art movements or youā€™re just citing from your ass?

You and @Dr_Milker have extremely twisted world views.

I see why you would have this opinion if you donā€™t know enough about art and art history. If you question this, I would just not talk about something you know nothing about. The cultural minister didnā€™t give you a proper art education lol

I also notice you say what a load of crap as a reply when you canā€™t argue against it.

Let me break it down for you. Shortest I can.

Most of the art in Europe is was sanctioned by the church. Artists drew religious things. Eventually growing class of people that made money in trade and such like the Medici tool interest in art and began to sponsor artist. Humanists who painted man and nature before god. You literally see each movement with the same pattern after. If you have time, read about it so you donā€™t sound so uncultured and ignorant.

In the east. Most art was also originally religious. Wood cuts were printed for religious reasons. Japanese wood cut painting began to become popular along with other arts like acting etc when merchant class in edo period in edo aka modern day Tokyo. These people began to spend money on art and it flourished giving us works like the wave by Hokusai. It would influence the works into the mingei period where Europeans began seeing Japanese paintings for the first time. The artists there were shocked and never seen it. It began wildly popular and the artist there basically copied it and made the art nouveau style.

In short. People donā€™t give a shit about art and culture when they canā€™t affors to care about it. Itā€™s not a big surprise.

Iā€™d hardly call not believing the government should be involved in every aspect of peopleā€™s lives an ā€œextremely twisted world view.ā€ The fact that you think so says more about you than it does about me or @Andrew0409.

So you are sayingā€¦you are an Anarcho-Capitalist ?, Jordan :grinning:

More of an anarcho-peon. :hushed: